As many of you out there are probably aware the gaming community has been under attack yet again, only this time the stakes have been significantly raised. A few weeks ago it was discovered that there may or may not have been hidden sex scenes and mini-games in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. This discovery had brought the politicians and watchdog groups out in droves and has caused a serious investigation by the ESRB ratings board.
Because of the serious impact this could have across the entire industry I thought we should investigate this issue more closely and discuss the larger issues at stake. In this special edition of Gaming Steve I speak with Dennis McCauley from GamePolitics.com
who was instrumental in breaking this story and has written extensively about this topic. In this episode of Gaming Steve Dennis and I speak about:
- Dennis McCauley’s web site GamePolitics.com and why he started this very interesting web site.
- The “Hot Coffee” mod in general.
- What is the status of the ESRB investigation into this matter.
- What was the response from Rockstar and Take Two Interactive.
- How this content may affect the entire gaming industry, even if it wasn’t part of the original game.
- How the ESRB rating differ from the MPAA movie ratings.
- Here come the politicians … and will they ever stop lambasting GTA and violent video games?
Get the podcast from this page (40 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 17.
You can also subscribe to the weekly podcast