Author Topic: Terraria, a 2-d Minecraft-inspired RPG  (Read 28194 times)

Offline dndfreak

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
Re: Terraria, a 2-d Minecraft-inspired RPG
« Reply #345 on: June 24, 2015, 10:00:47 am »
As would I, never have anybody to play with in Terraria.

I see how it is.

Offline Gauphastus

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #346 on: June 30, 2015, 08:22:26 am »
Haha, what the hell.
Apparently the Terraria wiki owner was given the opportunity to play the 1.3 update early and stream it.
But then he threw some kind of bizarre tantrum live on stream, one so awful that the Terraria devs requested him to stop streaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m78EGWgvN0 if you want. I'm not tagging it 'cause it's just ridiculous.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline eropS

• Tetris Tumbler
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 30, 2015, 08:24:58 am »
What an idiot. I love it when people just break down like this, what is going through their heads that is telling them 'Yes, do this, this is a good thing you are doing so continue doing it'. Dumbasses
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Gauphastus

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #348 on: June 30, 2015, 08:44:58 am »
Apparently he thinks he's a big deal or something because he saw some popularity for his youtube videos and twitch channel.
A funny part of this that someone pointed out is that he goes on about not being about the money and yet he's done all this silly stuff that opposes that.

For one thing he made a fake wiki article about a dev only item called The Master Sword. The article linked to his twitch channel.
He bumbled around on the 1.3 stream for a long time trying to fix a nonexistent audio issue until more viewers arrived.
He bumbled around on the 1.3 stream for a long time editing and uploading youtube videos.
After this whole incident he made an apology video... which is monetized.

I find it so strange how some people start acting once they gain a little bit of clout. Show some goddamned humility.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Krakow Sam

• Manhunter
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 30, 2015, 09:41:55 am »
I think it might just be a psychological feature of the sort of people that become "famous" as twitch streamers or youtube lets play personalities.

As a normal person with some level of self awareness or humility, someone like you or I would basically just think "why would anyone, with the exception of my personal friends, be even remotely interested in watching me play a video game and make observations about it?"

It's an activity which requires no particular skill (aside from some incredibly basic video editing in the case of youtube), and most of these people aren't especially charismatic, but they still think they're somehow qualified to be bigshots at playing and streaming videogames.

Not surprising that they quickly turn out to be rude and egotistical.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• BioShock Big Daddy
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #350 on: June 30, 2015, 10:25:17 am »
OHHHH SO MUCH ENTERTAINMENT THANK YOU! :D
"Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone!" - Satoru Iwata

Offline Gauphastus

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #351 on: July 01, 2015, 04:15:22 am »
FYI he's raging out at everybody on the Terraria subreddit.
https://np.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3bpbrd/donating_donations_disappointment_with_the/

But anyway, has anyone tried it? Celdur told me a bit. That new difficulty mode sounds masochistic so I probs won't bother. :u
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline dndfreak

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #352 on: July 01, 2015, 07:29:45 am »
Kaizer and I have been playing on Expert mode. I'm not one to judge because I haven't played through all the content since they first added hardmode so there's a lot more in it than just the 1.3 stuff. We also haven't gotten steam servers to work. I think I have an idea on that end, but we'll see.

It's tough to say if the new new content is worth it yet, since, y'kno, it takes to the end of the game to get access to it. We spent our first day just foraging and base building, so haven't run the new Eye of C'thulu yet. Some of the new normal enemies are cool, though. There's a purple snail that's basically sonic the hedgehog, spin dashes and homing leaps. There's a Granite Elemental which will float toward players until it's on top of you or takes a few hits, when it will close up and slam down like a boulder trap and wake up a few seconds later. Like I said though, most of the new stuff, like the lunar towers, won't come up until the endgame.

Probably the coolest part so far is that the villagers all have unique AI patterns instead of running and hiding. The guide shoots a bow, the demolitions expert throws grenades, and the nurse has an ample supply of potions, for example. While they have a tougher time for us on expert mode enemies, in the normal game they would probably be able to fend for themselves much better during goblin invasions and the like.

There's also a new material in the cavern layer, Marble, which creates it's own miniature biome when spawned that populates with Medusa, some powerful spear throwing Hoplites, and the poison-spewing bipedal salamanders. The marble itself is a really impressive-looking material and I personally like working with it. The base I'm working on in our world has a huge marble outer shell with a large dome and a columned entrance, similar to a stereotypical U.S. government building. If we play again today I might grab screenshots.

In the end, though, it's Terraria. If you enjoy it, you enjoy it. If you don't, you don't. I doubt anything in this update will change that too much.

Offline Celdur

• Wing Commander
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 01, 2015, 08:08:59 am »
What I read from the expert changes is that it would scale up monster difficulty starting on hard mode, be more punishing with death, change up boss AI etc.
What it didn't say though, is that normal enemy health is up from the get go, and normal zombies will have like 100 hp and do 70 damage, while you do 1 damage with the basic starting weapon.

I don't mind more difficulty but I hate damage sponges.
It's not like the combat in terraria was ever that great anyway, I care more about exploring and stuff.
Also, I dunno if you can edit the day/night times, but day lasts like 2 minutes while night feels like it lasts 10.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline dndfreak

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #354 on: July 01, 2015, 10:00:48 am »
Let's be fair, here. Base zombies hit for about 30, demon eyes for 50. Their base health is actually about the same as always, and your crappy starter weapons kill them just as effectively. The fact is that, in the past, it was difficult to actually be hurt by zombies in the first place unless you were flanked given their slow-moving shamble. Now there are zombies that have collected a bunch of corpse parts from their friends to be a little tankier or have longer reach, making early combat far more interesting and forcing you to think about your positioning. If you have that much trouble with these 'damage sponges', get the guide to help you. He'll shoot arrows at regular intervals that deal about as much as the player would with an iron bow and also applies a sizable knockback.

You can edit day/night times if you're using their dedicated server software to host your world. All the / commands are available through the server's console.

Offline RiseWhirled

• Simon Belmont
  • yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 01, 2015, 01:03:29 pm »
This might be biased, but it seems like blood moons happen more often on Expert. I'm maybe ten or fifteen in game days in and I've had two of them.

Offline Kaizer

• Arkanoid Vaus
  • Get high and kill bad guys.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 01, 2015, 05:18:40 pm »
I've never died to Eye of Cthulhu before, that stupid rapid dash charge he has now is super unfair. Expert mode = Unfair mode