Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 37047 times)

Offline Slinky

• Mappy Meowky
  • look on my works, ye mighty, and despair
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound
« Reply #390 on: October 02, 2014, 01:20:25 pm »
I've never played Terraria so maybe I just didn't know what to expect...?

Offline dndfreak

• Dragon Warrior Slime
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #391 on: November 08, 2015, 09:30:13 am »
So I started playing Starbound recently, for two reasons.

The first is that, when Starbound first launched, the toaster I was trying to play it on was, well, a toaster, and I was lucky to have more than three frames a second. So I sort of saw what it was about when it first 'released', but never really experienced it.

The second reason is that, back then, I really wanted to have more sandbox-y games to play with. I had zero interest in gameplay and really just wanted to build stuff. Terraria (and by extension, Starbound) was an action platformer with crafting elements, lacking the equivalent of Minecraft's creative mode without the use of TEdit. But since then, I've gotten more used to metroidvania styled gameplay and I wanted to give Starbound a chance with the right frame of mind. Terraria at times wasn't sure what it was, whether it wanted to focus on the creative freedom of block placement, the vania combat or the Diablo loot mechanics. Starbound, however, knows damn well from the ground up that the focus is combat and everything else is window dressing. I want to approach this game, now, with the mindset it deserves.

What I've seen (from about ten hours playing) is a pretty solid experience imho, and some of my few complaints (such as sparseness of unique wildlife on individual planets, no quests from player-made colonies) are all getting improvements soon as the last few tweaks until the game officially becomes 1.0. The creative side is clearly lacking, with the inconsistent 3D printer system that only works with certain objects and not others and doesn't work with shift-click so you have to drag objects in one at a time to see what can be scanned into your logs or not, limited color selection for the paint tool and few things which can actually be painted, being forced to place the high tech house panel into every NPC's room, and any number of other issues. But that's not what the game is about. It's about flying about to a bunch of small planets, destroying their ecosystems, and having zero repercussions whatsoever. In that regard, Starbound does its job pretty well.

Offline Gauphastus

• Dragon Warrior Slime
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #392 on: November 08, 2015, 01:32:06 pm »
I always meant to do some builds in Starbound to demonstrate the uses of a variety of tech. But at the time I was trying it the wiring system was half broken, things would open when you went off screen. I guess it didn't matter a ton but whatever.
I was also using a creative mod but it gave me objects and stuff when what I really needed were blocks. There definitely needs to be an actual creative mode so I can fly, go through solid objects, and I guess also edit stuff without even being hooked to a character at all.

The demonstrations I wanted to do were to help people, especially the devs, see that the level design could be vastly more interesting than it is.
But it's been so long that maybe they've nailed some more stuff down. Those dungeons and stuff back then were wank as hell.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline dndfreak

• Dragon Warrior Slime
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #393 on: November 08, 2015, 09:20:07 pm »
All the pre-generated structures on planets I've seen look pretty impressive to me. They're just about the most you could get with the game's creative tools, each one taking full advantage of all the blocks in their theme's tileset. The real issue imho is that the tiles blend well with the others in their tileset at the cost of mixing well with nothing else. It's really difficult to integrate multiple themes into a single building and make it not look like garbage.

Offline Inkling

• Golden Tee Pro
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 09, 2015, 12:07:43 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuHkLFJjREk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuHkLFJjREk</a>

This guy looks like fun.

Offline Kaizer

• Might and Magic Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 09, 2015, 02:57:24 am »
all I remember is you could play songs on the instruments and annoy your adventuring buddies by pretending to be a bard. I hope they added more songs.

Offline Gauphastus

• Dragon Warrior Slime
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #396 on: November 09, 2015, 03:13:41 am »
Yeah, man. I always played Gogo's theme from FFVI because it's kinda bouncy and annoying to listen to after awhile. :3
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline martyk

• Tetris Tutor
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 09, 2015, 09:06:45 am »
I just recently got into the game again for the first time since launch.  I'm really impressed with how much the game has grown over the past few years.  Apparently they're hitting 1.0 soon, so I'm really excited for that.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline martyk

• Tetris Tutor
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: Yesterday at 07:20:14 pm »
And apparently, 1.0 has now just launched.  Exciting stuff.  Really happy for the dev team.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O6PUh3reG0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O6PUh3reG0</a>
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Gauphastus

• Dragon Warrior Slime
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #399 on: Yesterday at 07:37:46 pm »
I'ma play it shortly just to mess around.
To be perfectly honest I often found this game incredibly tedious and boring.

EDIT: yeah that part hasn't changed
maybe its better with friends
« Last Edit: Today at 01:26:21 am by Gauphastus »
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Online Krakow Sam

• Big Rig Winner!
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: Today at 03:58:48 am »
Yeah Gauph you gotta host a server, and we can make a kawaii base.

The general gameplay of Starbound is as boring as its predecessor Terraria but the building is a lot nicer and you can make much better looking and varied constructions in starbound.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.