Poll

what?

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: The Console Wars  (Read 40206 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: The Console Wars - Who will win?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 10:30:52 pm »
The PS3 mostly focuses on hardcore gaming while the Wii is on family-friendly. The 360 is in-between with games like Dead Rising, Viva la Pinata, Gears or War so it somewhat balances itself out.

I'd just like to bump in and disagree with this:

First off, I want to say that neither the PS3 or the 360 appeal to "casual gamers" so long as both systems are more than $200.

Second, I would argue that the 360 is the system that focuses on "hardcore gamers", not the PS3. There is a very small variety of games on the 360 outside of sports games and shooters; games like Viva Pinata make up the exception, not the rule. Also, Viva Pinata did horribly sales-wise, showing that the game (which is intended to be played by younger players) didn't find that userbase of casual players on the 360.

On the other hand, Sony ruled the casual gamer last generation; that's the group that made up the vast majority of the 120+ million PS2's sold. PS3 still has way too high of a price to appeal to any casual players yet, but, like last generation, they have software that appeals to these players: games like LittleBigPlanet, Rachet & Clank, Eccochrome, Gran Turismo 5, etc.

Microsoft has stuff like a new Viva Pinata mini-game fest and Scene It coming, but I question whether these games will have the appeal of the others that Sony has which I listed above.

But no matter what, I think we can both agree that neither system will strike these "casual gamers" for at least a few more years! :D

The thing is about the PS3 is that they start to repeat themselves in their games. They had practically "stole" a well sold game such as Ninja Gaiden to be on the platform which was originally on the Xbox. The only games on the PS3 that raises my eyebrow are R&C and RE5. The rest....is just plain racing and fps games which only improve by the graphics. Sony had just lost their originality.

Sony didn't develop or publish Ninja Gaiden Sigma; Tecmo does, and it was their choice to keep the game exclusive to PlayStation 3.

And I know that this is all just a matter of opinion, but I think it's a bit naive to say that LittleBigPlanet, Eccochrome, Folklore, and other games coming from SCEI aren't original. Sony has been in this business for a long time, and as such, they have amassed an army of some of the most original and talented developers. Their talent and originality shouldn't be doubted.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 10:32:24 pm by Piloteer »

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 11:07:01 pm »
The Japanese Software Sales Numbers make me smile. Out of the top 30 games 1 game is for the 360, 2 games are for the PS2 and the rest go to Wii and the DS. I still can't get over how well Nintendo is doing in Japan.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 11:16:27 pm »
There is a very small variety of games on the 360 outside of sports games and shooters; games like Viva Pinata make up the exception, not the rule.

You don't actually own a 360 do you? Or even played one? Seen one even?

Anyways my short two cents since I'm short on time.

Wii may be winning in sales but how many are getting played much? How many games are actually...good?

360 has the best variety and pretty much the best out there period, As well as live being top notch. Only real fault is how they die (mine just did)

The ps3 is pretty much no good. MGS will bring some purchases IF it does not jump ship to the 360 like most others have. A few original titles like little big planet wont save the ps3 (although the game does look awesome)

ps2 is not surprisingly doing great.

The winner as far as fun factor go's  and thats most important i would say 360. Some could raise great points about the wii also. But only a fool would defend the ps3 very far I've seen many try and all have ended up looking stupid..because facts are facts and you cant beat logic with fanboyism.

Imo if you own a ps2 and a 360 (and a decent pc) you're a happy gamer.

EDIT: Okay I'm sorry first line of my post was rude.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 11:52:21 pm by ShadowBandit »

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 12:52:22 am »
You don't actually own a 360 do you? Or even played one? Seen one even?

Heh...I used to own one. I got one back last Fall. It died immediately, so I got it replaced weeks later. It was alright, but I really didn't like the way that Microsoft ripped 360 users for everything outside of demos on Marketplace (they're charging for avatars, wallpaper, and $20 for a 20 minute episode of the Daily Show). I also didn't like paying a $50 annual fee for online use. Then I saw LittleBigPlanet. A few short weeks later, I sold it via eBay.

I hope I don't bring the impression that I hate the 360 in some way, because I don't. I'll be the first to admit that Mass Effect and Ace Combat 6 look great. It's just that those two games alone won't convince me to buy an over-priced and malfunction-prone console. 

If you have fun with the 360, then by all means knock yourself out. I'm not going to stop you. The 360 just isn't the console that I want. However, you must admit that outside of shooters and sports games, the 360 has little outside of that. There will be the Viva Pinatas and such, but those are far and few. I like shooters and sports games, but I also like the Rachet & Clanks and the LittleBigPlanets.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 08:02:12 am »
Have you seen the 360's lineup this year?  Very few of them are shooters or sports games, and as previous posters have said, the 360, without a doubt has the best variety of games.  Sounds like you're more than a little biased against the thing.

The market place is overpriced, but it's not like you need to buy the pictures or wallpaper, so I don't really see how that could bother you.  And although it costs $50 a year for online play, if you've used it, you should know that it vastly out does either Nintendo or Sony's free services.  I have no problem paying such a trivial amount for such better service.  It's like comparing Guild Wars to World of Warcraft..  Sure, Guild Wars is free, but does it come close to touching WoW?

And just wait until Sony actually bring out Home.  You know they're going to be charging the same amount for little additions to your avatar.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 09:21:42 am »
Seeing as how I spent $400+ on my 360 and $250 on the Wii, I'm personally hoping that one of those comes out on top. I'm no fanboy, but if I had spent $500 $600 on a PS3, then I'd be rooting for Sony.

But, disregarding that, I sort of have to agree w/ piloteer that most of the 360 lineup is action/shooter/sports/rpg. Now don't get me wrong, most of these games look spectacular, but probably not very appealing to the "casual" gamer. Just look at any preview list on Gamespy or IGN, and look at the genre category.

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/index/previews.html

Sure, there's the arcade, and a few games like Civilization, but for the most part the 360 continues to lack that one Really Fun & Different game that appeals to the masses.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 11:01:05 am »
Have you seen the 360's lineup this year?  Very few of them are shooters or sports games, and as previous posters have said, the 360, without a doubt has the best variety of games.  Sounds like you're more than a little biased against the thing.

You can't blame the little variety found on the 360 on me being "biased" against it. That's Microsoft's problem, and you should be complaining to them.

But don't worry, you'll get you...Banjo-Kazooie....sometime....next year, maybe. :D

Hey, if you enjoy shooters and sports games, then go ahead and have fun. I like those too, but I also like other games as well.

And although it costs $50 a year for online play, if you've used it, you should know that it vastly out does either Nintendo or Sony's free services. 

If I was really into online play, then the 360's online system would be great for me---I have no problem admitting that its system beats Sony's and Nintendo's. But when I play online, it's usually to play a few quick games. I don't care to have cross-game voice chat, video chat, unified gamertag, etc. If you like that stuff, then the $50 per year online fee is worth it, but as someone who doesn't care to use those sort of things, the $50 would be a waste to me.

And we're starting to see Sony do some really interesting stuff with their online system that Microsoft isn't doing. While Microsoft sticks to their smaller games in Xbox Live Arcade, Sony is rolling out these smaller games, but they're also bringing larger-scale downloadable games like Warhawk, Wipeout HD, SOCOM, and LittleBigPlanet.

Speaking of LittleBigPlanet, that game is also doing some online stuff we haven't seen on Microsoft's system. You can play online with your friends, but you can also do things like upload your own levels that you have created, as well as download other players' levels. You can also rate them and post comments on what you think of them, and do it all for free. Of course, this game could never appear on Xbox 360, seeing as how going by Microsoft's logic, they'd be making the levels and we would have to pay for them.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 11:41:45 am »
If you really think about it, Wii shouldn't be in this debate.

They don't focus on gamers anymore. Their focusing on people who have never played, and that brings them in completely new directions.

I have a friend who swore off consoles after his X-Box broke a ay after the warrenty ran out(LOL)!

He got a Wii two weeks ago and I was like "Sweet. But I thought you hated consoles."

He's like: "The Wii isn't a console."

I was like: "Moron. Of course it is!"

He replied: "Dosen't seem like it."

I haven't seen him since then. He's playing Wii nonstop.

It scares me.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 12:01:01 pm »
The Wii has a great deal of potential for amazing games, but it's in desperate need of some great titles. I'm looking forward to Galaxy and Brawl though, which should boost the Wii up a few notches. The PS3? Ha. I don't own one, but the games seem pretty mediocre so far, and whenever I ask someone who owns a PS3 what they like about it, they're always like, "The graphics are so cool, it's amazing!" but they never really mention anything about the games. With Wii owners, they always say how fun the Wii remote is and all, and how the games are cool.

But both consoles need a boost when it comes to titles on it. 
You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 12:34:22 pm »
You know what system is REALLy losing?  PCs...  :'(
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 12:45:36 pm »
I'm not even going to dignify that with a response, Kcronos.

Save for this one.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2007, 01:11:20 pm »
Well, I can safely say that I do not believe that the PS3 is going to even come close to winning the console war. The reasons for this are numerous and I really shouldn't have to explain it.

So, that leaves the Wii and Xbox 360. The 360 got a very big head start but the Wii is selling incredibly fast. Also, the Wii is biggest thing in Japan right now while the 360 barely sells there at all. All in all, it's hard to say which will win. If third parties start making actual good games for the Wii, then it definitely has the potential to win.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2007, 01:20:17 pm »
I just meant that fewer and fewer people are using PCs as a game machine.  The game stores sometimes don't even sell PC games...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2007, 01:36:05 pm »
You can't blame the little variety found on the 360 on me being "biased" against it. That's Microsoft's problem, and you should be complaining to them.

So what exactly is coming out on the Wii and PS3 this year that gives them such a better variety over the 360?
The PS3 has Haze and Killzone coming out this year, that alone gives it more shooters than the 360.  As for sports games, they get released on pretty much everything.

This year alone we're seeing Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, PGR4, Bioshock, Two Worlds, Ace Combat, Mass Effect and Halo Wars.  And that's only the exclusives.  Combine that with GTA IV, Assassins Creed, Lego Star Wars and Mercenaries 2, and we have a pretty damn fine variety of games, none of which are shooters or sports games.   :)

I really have nothing against the other two systems, personally, I'll play any decent game no matter what system it's released on.  But currently, the 360 is my only next-gen system, because it's the only one I currently consider worth owning, and with Nintendo brushing off Europe once again this year, that's unlikely to change anytime soon.  My point being, I really don't understand were you're coming from with these comments about the 360.

Oh, and maybe you missed the memo, but the Live Arcade isn't only for smaller casual games anymore either.  Check out Worms and Bomberman, which are just as big as any of those games which are normally released, or the upcomming War World and Wing Commander.

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2007, 01:40:45 pm »
I just meant that fewer and fewer people are using PCs as a game machine.  The game stores sometimes don't even sell PC games...

game stores don't really matter when you have the ablility to download the program stright from the net. (i really wish MS will get behind it's games for windows as it is behind the 360)

PC has gaming has been going strong and will continue to go strong.