Poll

what?

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: The Console Wars  (Read 40214 times)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
The Console Wars
« on: July 18, 2007, 03:29:33 pm »
I had to start this topic becuase other topics are going off topic and there are about three other topics talking about the same thing. So here we go.

The following is from a cronversation going on in the Kotaku topic:
The Wii is selling like 200,000 units ain't it?

Yes the Wii is selling great. My point was that the 360 is selling well, and is not a buring ship like Piot would like us all to beleive.

[note to the mods] I did a search but the other console war topics were joke topics so I thought it safe to start a new one. If you see fit go ahead and merge.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:46:47 am by ilikesanta »

I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
Re: The Console Wars - Who will win?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 03:42:31 pm »
Should've made this a poll.

Honestly, I'm hesitant to even make a prediction. Sure, the Wii is selling like wildfire now, but I'm still waiting for them to make some games for the damn thing, and by "them" I mean the third party developers. On PS3 and 360 you have big names like Soul Calibur IV and Resident Evil 5 coming out, while the Wii is having to settle for table scraps and spin-offs like Soul Calibur Legends and Dragon Quest Swords, and I have to say, it makes sense. A lot of games are going multiplatform on both the PS3 and 360, since those two combined have a considerably greater install base than the Wii does, and they can hardly port to all three considering the differences in hardware.

If the Wii fails to turn it around and get some decent support from third parties, I could see it dropping off in sales, and maybe even losing ground to the PS3 once its heavy hitters start to come out.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 03:53:50 pm »
Yay! I've been quoted!

And, the PS3, I think, is dying. Pretty much 1000$ Canadian with taxes. No thanks.

A little intresting thing I dug up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars

And the Wii had RE4, and the Resident Evil Umbrella coming out.

It's got Red Steel, Splinter Cell, and a few others I can't think of.

i'm pretty sure the PS3 ain't gonna catch up.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:00:19 pm »
And the Wii had RE4, and the Resident Evil Umbrella coming out.

It's got Red Steel, Splinter Cell, and a few others I can't think of.

i'm pretty sure the PS3 ain't gonna catch up.
Red Steel sucked, though, and Umbrella Chronicles and a port of a game you can already play on GCN, PS2 and PC are hardly substitutes for RE 5.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 04:08:54 pm »
Yeah, you should make this a poll Santa.

Anyways, it depends on what point in time you are talking about. If you were to ask what console will be in the lead three years from now, I'd say the Wii. However, if you were to ask which system will have sold the most units (and will be selling the most units) six or seven years from now, I believe it'll be the PlayStation 3.

I honestly think that console generations as we know them are starting to disappear, and that we will no longer see three new consoles launch in the span of a year as we have been seeing. There is the Wii, which is doing great now, but whose staying power is questionable, and thus, Nintendo's hot-selling system may be replaced sooner than most consoles. There's the PlayStation 3, which Sony hopes to support and last over the next 10 years. Then there's the Xbox 360, which falls somewhere in between.

A likely scenario is that Nintendo replaces the Wii in about three (or so) years, Microsoft in four or five, and Sony in nine or ten. If this is to happen, then what is described as a "console generation" now may become much more blurred and less defined.

But to answer your question: PlayStation 3 ;D

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:05:29 pm »
the way things are going now? the Wii will be on top while MS will be a close second.

sony need to get it's act together inorder to compete. it has very little games coming to it and it has the same basic range of the 360 in the terms of graphics (right now)

wait a few years then the winner could show it's self

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 05:43:17 pm »
Wii60 is my bet.

The Wii is very different from the PS 3 and Xbox 360. Lower price, for a different audience and it requires games to take advantage of it's unique abilities as the graphics will never wow as the PS 3 and 360 do. If we are talking about which one will sell more, then there is no doubt in my mind that, that will be the Wii.

However since this is "who will win" I would probably still have to go with Nintendo. Sony is still losing money and trying to convince people that the PS 3 is worthwhile, and Microsoft is being hurt by all the faulty consoles and the general cost of it all.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 05:45:17 pm »
Ain't RE coming to Wii?
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 05:45:33 pm »
I'll go long term, Nintendo will outlast it's rivals like it has in the past.

They are going nowhere. Why? Because all Nintendo does is make games, they don't do anything else and that is why their games are always the best and why they will be around as long as the industry is.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 05:46:45 pm »
Ain't RE coming to Wii?

Umbrella Chronicals is and 4 is out. 5 isn't though.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline DMB

• Venture Conqueror
  • Braaiiiiinnnsss and cake!
    • View Profile
    • BobtheZombie's Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 05:57:21 pm »
As much as I want a Wii, I'm going to have to say the 360. It's just right in the middle between the Wii and PS3 with pricing and games. The PS3 mostly focuses on hardcore gaming while the Wii is on family-friendly. The 360 is in-between with games like Dead Rising, Viva la Pinata, Gears or War so it somewhat balances itself out. The ring-o-fire phase will pass as it's not a console detonator. Perhaps I'm wrong when I say that, because well, what do I know? I don't own one. The PS3 is too much and the games don't look worthwhile playing. The Wii is doing better however, with Zelda and RE4, but comes with silly games like Cooking Mama, and the silly products like the Wiifit.

Each console does have its own defects, but that doesn't matter when it all comes down to the games.
Save Ferris. Save the World.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."Bob's Blog

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 06:19:58 pm »
The PS3 mostly focuses on hardcore gaming while the Wii is on family-friendly. The 360 is in-between with games like Dead Rising, Viva la Pinata, Gears or War so it somewhat balances itself out.

I'd just like to bump in and disagree with this:

First off, I want to say that neither the PS3 or the 360 appeal to "casual gamers" so long as both systems are more than $200.

Second, I would argue that the 360 is the system that focuses on "hardcore gamers", not the PS3. There is a very small variety of games on the 360 outside of sports games and shooters; games like Viva Pinata make up the exception, not the rule. Also, Viva Pinata did horribly sales-wise, showing that the game (which is intended to be played by younger players) didn't find that userbase of casual players on the 360.

On the other hand, Sony ruled the casual gamer last generation; that's the group that made up the vast majority of the 120+ million PS2's sold. PS3 still has way too high of a price to appeal to any casual players yet, but, like last generation, they have software that appeals to these players: games like LittleBigPlanet, Rachet & Clank, Eccochrome, Gran Turismo 5, etc.

Microsoft has stuff like a new Viva Pinata mini-game fest and Scene It coming, but I question whether these games will have the appeal of the others that Sony has which I listed above.

But no matter what, I think we can both agree that neither system will strike these "casual gamers" for at least a few more years! :D

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 06:32:03 pm »
Should've made this a poll.

Maybe I should change the sub title? I was mostly tyring to channle discussions about the bussiness side, who's doing what better, NPD's, japanese sales numbers, ect., all in one topic. Hey the coversation is going good so go topic go!
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline DMB

• Venture Conqueror
  • Braaiiiiinnnsss and cake!
    • View Profile
    • BobtheZombie's Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 08:34:17 pm »
The PS3 mostly focuses on hardcore gaming while the Wii is on family-friendly. The 360 is in-between with games like Dead Rising, Viva la Pinata, Gears or War so it somewhat balances itself out.

I'd just like to bump in and disagree with this:

First off, I want to say that neither the PS3 or the 360 appeal to "casual gamers" so long as both systems are more than $200.

Second, I would argue that the 360 is the system that focuses on "hardcore gamers", not the PS3. There is a very small variety of games on the 360 outside of sports games and shooters; games like Viva Pinata make up the exception, not the rule. Also, Viva Pinata did horribly sales-wise, showing that the game (which is intended to be played by younger players) didn't find that userbase of casual players on the 360.

On the other hand, Sony ruled the casual gamer last generation; that's the group that made up the vast majority of the 120+ million PS2's sold. PS3 still has way too high of a price to appeal to any casual players yet, but, like last generation, they have software that appeals to these players: games like LittleBigPlanet, Rachet & Clank, Eccochrome, Gran Turismo 5, etc.

Microsoft has stuff like a new Viva Pinata mini-game fest and Scene It coming, but I question whether these games will have the appeal of the others that Sony has which I listed above.

But no matter what, I think we can both agree that neither system will strike these "casual gamers" for at least a few more years! :D

The thing is about the PS3 is that they start to repeat themselves in their games. They had practically "stole" a well sold game such as Ninja Gaiden to be on the platform which was originally on the Xbox. The only games on the PS3 that raises my eyebrow are R&C and RE5. The rest....is just plain racing and fps games which only improve by the graphics. Sony had just lost their originality.
Save Ferris. Save the World.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."Bob's Blog

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 09:22:08 pm »
What about MGS5! though it brought a tear to my eye when Hideo anounced it would be his last game. the nights i spent on Mgs 1 trying to figure out the out of the box tricks and the story behind Mgs 2&3, i'll miss them....
on topic i saw the Wii will dominate but when the ps3 bring the big hitters it'll take the lead(and maybe another price drop in a year or 2) the 360 won't change much
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!