Author Topic: Micheal Crichton  (Read 13757 times)

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
Micheal Crichton
« on: July 14, 2007, 11:28:20 am »
Great author. My favorite books of his are: State of Fear, Jurrasic Park, Sphere and Airframe.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:18:55 pm by Little »

The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Criterion
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:38:20 am »
Crichton!

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Criterion
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:42:36 am »
way to be subtle, Slarti  ;)

anywho...yep, love Crichton. JP, Lost World, Sphere, and Congo are my favorites...I've also read Prey, and a few others, and I own a few more that I've yet to read...
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Crichton
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 03:37:47 pm »
Wow, she managed to misspell both of his names... The right way is 'Michael Crichton'.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 06:47:54 am »
The man can paint a scene, make you feel like you can really see what is going on, much like a master painter on a magical canvas...

...but the guy is a poor story teller. Having read Sphere, Jurrasic Park, The Lost World, and Airframe I walked away from all four with a clear view if what is going on, but a dull actual story.

Now I loved the movie 'The Great Train Robbery', but having read his other works, I don't know if I'd bother with reading the book it was based on.

-Lego

Offline Rax Dakkar

• Contributor
  • Boot Hill Bandit
  • So say we All
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 09:45:38 am »
As much as I love Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park, Sphere, Prey, and Timeline are some of my favorite Sci Fi books ever) his last to books just didn't meet his usually standards.  State of Fear was so much a book as it was a bunch of charts, graphs, and data points trying to disprove global warming.  The points about Yellowstone/early attempts at preservation and the perhaps misguided attempts to prevent the use of DDT, but I could have just read those points seperatley.  Instead we got a book with a series of unlikable characters that goes absolutley no where unitl the last 50 pages or so.  Next was a little better, but again felt as though he found a hot topic and a bunch of data and just shoehorned a story into it.  I really hope his next book is better than these two.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:54:11 am »
I love his books. My favorite ones would have to be prey and time line. I would have to say movie wise that Timeline would have to be the worst adaptation ever.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:33:46 pm »
I have now read almost very single one of his fiction section.

I didn't like Next, but State of Fear was ok, but not on par with his old masterpieces.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 08:44:59 pm »
State of Fear was a bit meh, but I have to say that my least favorite of his fiction was Airframe. I found it very difficult to continue, but forced myself through.

Favorite work? A toss up between Sphere, Prey, and the Jurassic Park duology. Andromeda Strain comes in at a close second.

I usually don't watch adaptations of books, and I have never seen a movie based off one of his works. Except for the Jurassic Park series, but I only found out they were based off of books by the time the third one was released.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:38:51 pm »
I use to love his books, but i got turned off by his crappy endings. Everything gets wrapped up in a little bow in the last ten pages it drives me crazy. I don't need a cliff hanger but his books don't ever make me wonder 'whats going to happen to the characters after all this stuff happened to them.' The only ending I liked was for Sphere, but ironically it's probably the worst offender of wrapping everything in a nice little convenient bow. The last book I read of his was Airframe, and it left me feeling like "that's it?"

Books of his I liked Terminal Man, J Park, Sphere..... I know there are some others of his i like but I can't remember them.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 04:15:46 pm »
I use to love his books, but i got turned off by his crappy endings. Everything gets wrapped up in a little bow in the last ten pages it drives me crazy. I don't need a cliff hanger but his books don't ever make me wonder 'whats going to happen to the characters after all this stuff happened to them.' The only ending I liked was for Sphere, but ironically it's probably the worst offender of wrapping everything in a nice little convenient bow. The last book I read of his was Airframe, and it left me feeling like "that's it?"

Books of his I liked Terminal Man, J Park, Sphere..... I know there are some others of his i like but I can't remember them.

Sphere's ending was great.

Do you tink she gave it up? (Trying not to spoil the book.)

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 07:15:20 pm »
I actually read through State of Fear and Next when I was on vacation. State of Fear was a good book, as most people have mentioned not up to par with many of his older work.

Next on the other hand I found to be just awful.  Some of the scenes in that book, were just absurd. It also had a bad habit of needlessly adding characters. There were countless characters who added nothing to the story. They were there to show the power of genes and the law (in the context of the book at that). And it ended poorly, I think mainly because of the needless additional characters when you finished the book it felt like there was a lot unresolved.

I use to love his books, but i got turned off by his crappy endings. Everything gets wrapped up in a little bow in the last ten pages it drives me crazy.

Next is terrible for this, the main story is wrapped up in three pages.  I was reading and I was like.. just like that? It ends that easily. all this huge build up and...that's it? I didn't like it at all.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 08:12:38 pm »
Next is terrible for this, the main story is wrapped up in three pages.  I was reading and I was like.. just like that? It ends that easily. all this huge build up and...that's it? I didn't like it at all.

wait a minute...Next HAD a story? I must have missed it...
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 08:20:58 pm »

wait a minute...Next HAD a story? I must have missed it...

I was being kind  ;)
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 09:40:34 pm »
Terminal man was the first novel i read of his and it was great. The ending did seem weak though.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.