Author Topic: Dexter.  (Read 25537 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
Re: Dexter.
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 10:16:29 am »
Dexter doesn't really feel emotions, he can tell what emotion he should be feeling and he can understand the emotions of other people, but he doesn't really feel them.

Dexter seems evil but he's not, if he was evil he wouldn't follow the code of Harry and he would take enjoyment when he kills, he doesn't kill for enjoyment, he kills to satisfy the urge.
Never mind your own business.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 10:47:29 am »
Dexter doesn't really feel emotions, he can tell what emotion he should be feeling and he can understand the emotions of other people, but he doesn't really feel them.

Dexter seems evil but he's not, if he was evil he wouldn't follow the code of Harry and he would take enjoyment when he kills, he doesn't kill for enjoyment, he kills to satisfy the urge.

Dexter clearly felt emotions when he killed his brother.  He tried to zone out when shagging Rita for the first time but ended up feeling a thrill and enjoying it.  Sorry, but I don't buy the whole "Dexter doesn't feel emotion" crap which the narrative pulls, because on many occasions in regards to a situation where it does affect Dexter, he says something like, "Why am I reacting this way... Dexter doesn't feel emotions".

Also, he doesn't break the code of Harry because if he does then he will feel bad/guilty about it.  That's emotion, but he doesn't admit or realise it.  That's just my opinion on it though, and I haven't read the books and don't know the author's thoughts about what exactly Dexter feels.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 01:33:20 pm »
Dexters a very well designed (but more important to the conversation) Complex character, he may change or start to, i dunno.

Dexter also said "i know their pain, i can even understand their pain, i just can't feel their pain."

if it wasn't for the narratice i would hate this show. i just love Dexters narrating.

my favoruite so far is when he puts a new drop of blood in his collection and he says to the drop of blood "well mike, welcome to your last change of address, you'll love it here, you have so much in common with your new naighbors."

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2007, 01:48:45 pm »
Dexters a very well designed (but more important to the conversation) Complex character, he may change or start to, i dunno.

Dexter also said "i know their pain, i can even understand their pain, i just can't feel their pain."

That's what he says, but what I'm saying is that I don't believe the narrative.  The narrative is supposed to represent Dexter's thoughts, and even though he believes he can't feel these emotions, I think that there are enough examples in the show of where he does feel them.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 01:32:09 am »
On a slightly different point.  What's the name for this kind of shirt that Dexter is wearing here?

http://blogs.chron.com/tmi/dexter_gallery_g64_34.JPGcommand%20GetPreview&library%20Photo+Archive&RecID%201140722&Filename%20dexter_gallery_g64_34%20(2).jpg

I love that style but I've never been able to find them anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 01:39:17 am by Lord Janos »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 03:52:30 pm »
I just realized that Dexter is the guy from Six Feet Under. I don't get Showtime but I can download through iTunes.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 02:27:59 am »
On a slightly different point.  What's the name for this kind of shirt that Dexter is wearing here?

http://blogs.chron.com/tmi/dexter_gallery_g64_34.JPGcommand%20GetPreview&library%20Photo+Archive&RecID%201140722&Filename%20dexter_gallery_g64_34%20(2).jpg

I love that style but I've never been able to find them anywhere.

i think the closest you'll get to that is probably in shops like Next and stuff.

when i tried to look up some info on the clothes he wears for dexter all i found is people asking how to get their heir like dexter's.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2007, 04:36:40 pm »
I downloaded this from itunes and I like it. I watched the first two episodes. I like the ongoing ice truck story. It's very morbid but yet you can't stop watching.  :P

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 04:09:10 am »
I am highly disappointed in this topic. :P

gec05

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 10:05:51 pm »
So true.

Man, I miss that cartoon.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2007, 03:29:38 pm »
So true.

Man, I miss that cartoon.
I liked that, but learned all too soon that I actually detested it, and liked it only because it had a genius in it (like me)
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2007, 10:49:10 am »
I downloaded this from itunes and I like it. I watched the first two episodes. I like the ongoing ice truck story. It's very morbid but yet you can't stop watching.  :P

Like a car crash  :P

I also have to agree with Lord Janos. Dexter clearly feels emotions. I just think sometimes he doesn't know what the emotion is. He is clearly detached while he kills (some exceptions). But While he isn't he is starting to experience and understand emotion more.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 02:48:32 pm »
I finished watching the first season a while ago, I don't feel disgusted by those scenes so I enjoy the show to its full potential (let's say I'm a Dexter without the urge to kill, lol).
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2007, 11:26:37 am »
I don't think anyone is meant to feel disgusted by the scenes. Most of it is no worse then you might see on CSI.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2007, 12:38:19 pm »
Some people do, but I even eat while watching it xD
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.