Author Topic: Cloverfield-1-18-08 (Spoilers in here)  (Read 30960 times)

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
Re: Cloverfield-1-18-08
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 07:27:25 pm »
We're better *sticks tongue out at you*, ours goes from little, to big!

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 11:46:20 pm »
Slightly tangential but related question: why is it that the American date system is month-day-year?
That's the way we talk.

Ex:
When is it?

August 3rd.  (8/3)

When were you born?

December 22, 1983. (12/22/83)

If they were to respond:  The 22nd of December, 1983; they would be being pretentious.

2 parts Blair Witch + 1 part Cthulu + 1 part Godzilla = suck.  Any parts Blair Witch will ruin a movie.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 10:50:22 am »
apparently, that Haas website isn't related to Parasite/Cloverfield (although it is pretty cool, so I'll still follow it anyways...)

Quote from: JJ Abrams to Ain't It Cool News
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your support of our little movie. I can't wait to talk to you more about it -- of course, knowing you, by the time we talk you'll know more than I will.

Regarding the online stuff you posted: yeah, we're doing some fun stuff on the web. But, obviously, if the movie doesn't kick some massive ASS, who gives a rat's about what's online? So as you can imagine, we're focusing mostly on THAT. For what it's worth, the only site of ours that people have even FOUND is the 1-18-08.com site. The others (like the Ethan Haas sites) have nothing to do with us.

Stay cool the rest of the summer -- and thanks per usual for AICN!

JJ
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Sporific

• Battlezone Captain
  • Call me Jake. Jake Bond.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 11:16:47 am »
I'm incredibly psyched for this film... you can check out the trailer in HD somewehre on the Apple website!
LOL SPORE ON MAC.
"The surest sign that there's intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't visited us."
Quote from: lolasan
Procedurally Generate That!

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 12:34:13 am »
apparently, that Haas website isn't related to Parasite/Cloverfield (although it is pretty cool, so I'll still follow it anyways...)

Quote from: JJ Abrams to Ain't It Cool News
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your support of our little movie. I can't wait to talk to you more about it -- of course, knowing you, by the time we talk you'll know more than I will.

Regarding the online stuff you posted: yeah, we're doing some fun stuff on the web. But, obviously, if the movie doesn't kick some massive ASS, who gives a rat's about what's online? So as you can imagine, we're focusing mostly on THAT. For what it's worth, the only site of ours that people have even FOUND is the 1-18-08.com site. The others (like the Ethan Haas sites) have nothing to do with us.

Stay cool the rest of the summer -- and thanks per usual for AICN!

JJ

hmm.. you know this all sounds very strange. The amount of buzz that site has already generated and the complexity makes it seem like a bit more then they are letting on. (for example who could put that together so fast after the trailer came out?) I think it is a marketing trick which was either discovered too soon or just creating more excitement by denying it causing people to mess with it more to figure it out. If it isn't related then the movie isn't called parasite because it's parasitemovie.com that connects 1-18-08.com to ethanhaaswasright.com. And again, this seems like a whole lot of work for no apparent reason.. Personally I don't believe him. Not because I think it's a big conspiracy, it's just too good of a marketing scheme.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 01:57:11 pm »
hmm.. you know this all sounds very strange. The amount of buzz that site has already generated and the complexity makes it seem like a bit more then they are letting on. (for example who could put that together so fast after the trailer came out?) I think it is a marketing trick which was either discovered too soon or just creating more excitement by denying it causing people to mess with it more to figure it out. If it isn't related then the movie isn't called parasite because it's parasitemovie.com that connects 1-18-08.com to ethanhaaswasright.com. And again, this seems like a whole lot of work for no apparent reason.. Personally I don't believe him. Not because I think it's a big conspiracy, it's just too good of a marketing scheme.

parasitemovie.com's not related to either website (it links to the 'tossing games' forum at the bottom...they wanted some publicity...)

And going by the vibes of the Ethan Haas stuff...if they really are related, I could definately see Cloverfield being about Cthulhu (which, because of Haas, that's what a lot of people are thinking...)
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 12:04:42 pm »
Okay well it seems ethanhaaswasright.com is connected to Mind Storms new RPG Alpha Omega. http://www.ffxiresource.com/devel/ethanhaas/  An interesting note on this though is that the Ethan Haas videos were taken down from youtube by Paramount. they say they have legal rights over it. Lots of strange things on wikipedia about this like hidden text in source codes and websites we haven't even looked at yet. Frankly I'm getting tired of trying to figure this out.. Forget the puzzles and secrets at this point we don't even know which site is for what. OR if they are all connected.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2007, 08:12:34 pm »
Alright, so here's my theory, which you can feel free to critique or ignore, but I figure it can't hurt to put my thoughts down for people to see.

Let's start with the eponymous trailer, which is the root of this whole situation. Now, there are various clues that scattered throughout it that have linked us across the Internet to more of the mystery. www.slusho.jp is one such site, which is referenced by a t-shirt worn by a character in the trailer. Another site is the www.abz3293.com site which mysteriously asks for information regarding the driver of a car in the trailer, who's license plate number is seen only briefly. The release date of the movie itself has been traced to a Bible verse, Romans 1:18, which reads: God’s Wrath on Unrighteousness,For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness. This has been linked to the site www.anti-christ.com, which referenced this passage and other apocalyptic verses as well.

As to the Ethan Haas saga, we know this. EHWR seems linked to the game studio Mind Storm Labs, which is developing a tabletop RPG known as Alpha-Omega, which apparently deals with after the apocalypse, when angels, demons, and humans fight it out for survival. So, this game seems to have the same quasi-religious overtones as Cloverfield, but apparently nothing else. However, after looking at their website, which is almost totally barren of any real information, I doubt their legitimacy. I think that MS Labs and their game are either real and tie-in to the movie or they are totally fake but may have relevance to the plot of the movie or the ARG.

The Slusho site seems unrelated except for the t-shirt. However, the domain name was registered only a week before the premiere of the trailer, but the website purports that the drink has been around for some time. The History link as well seems a little suspicious, as the story sounds like it could be related to the monster of Cloverfield or other plot points, despite the childish tone.

ABZ 3239 seems to be a totally legit viral site for the movie. After all, there's too much of a coincidence involved for it to be anything but a front for the movie.

As for the Anti-Christ site, this further reinforces the religious overtones or plot points of the movie, which seems linked to the movie based on the 1-18 1:18 link and the other related verses.

To draw attention back to the trailer, there is a line in the trailer, as they are coming into the street, that has many debating. Some say that when someone asks "What is it? Is it coming this way?" a man shouts in reply, "It's a light, it's huge!" Which would seem to make sense, given the massive fireball seen in the trailer. However, others hear, "It's alive, it's huge!" which also ties into the supposed giant-monster theme of the movie. The last, and most intriguing phrase is, "It's a lion, it's huge!" This is interesting because apparently, in the Book of Revelations, the Beast that shows up during the Apocalypse has the head of a lion. Very curious.

Now, while we wait to see if JJ was just trying to mislead us with his comment on EHWR, we'll work with only the other evidence at hand. Maybe we can come up with something that makes a lick of sense, or maybe I'm just crazy and my shift at work today could've been spent more productively than scribbling this on the back of an old receipt.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 10:11:38 pm by Tal »
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 09:49:14 pm »
Where is the trailer. I keep hearing about it but I can't find it. I know about the slusho websites and anti-christ.com .. but again I haven't even seen the trailer. Where can I see it? 

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 09:54:31 pm »

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 10:21:28 pm »
That doesn't work for me.

I found it and some "Ethan Haas Messages" here.

So we're guessing the Tribulation from the book of Revelations then?

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 05:18:56 am »
BTW the Ethan Haas thing haas s**t all to do with this film, sorry.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 09:16:21 am »
I hope your not going by what JJ Abrams said and have something more to back it up. So far the only people that seem to actually say there is no connection is aintitcool.com. I've been out of the loop but reading around everyone still seems to think there it's part of the marketing scheme.  One post I skimmed through, which I know wish I kept claimed that you could find more connections through looking at the source code pages. And you have to admit It seems like a really big coincidence about the games topic and the apparent movie theme. And that seem like a quite large AND obscure promotional site for an RPG. You think they'd have information splattered all over it at the end.

I'm open to it being wrong, but besides the fact that not even people at ain't it cools news believes him, what else proof do you have? You might be totally right, but right now Abrams is playing puppetmaster to us all so there is really no reason to believe him.   

http://omgwtfehwr.blogspot.com/2007/07/2205-holly-pine-circle.html

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 01:12:33 pm »
While I have no proof but my own gut instinct to go on, I believe that the Ethan Haas websites and related game are connected to the movie. For instance, the videos from the website were taken down off of YouTube by Paramount's request. Apparently, they have ownership of them or something. Secondly, the Mindstorm Labs site www.mindstormlabs.com really seems to have no actual information on the game, and no real contact information aside from an unresponsive email address and a phone number that leaves you at a simple voicemail system. The scant information about the game seems to be focused totally on throwing around eye-catching words that will many RPG players will recognize, but offers no information on mechanics or anything substantial.

So, I believe, if there is a game, it ties into Cloverfield and may be one more component of this ARG to advance the plot leading up to the movie.

If there isn't a game, this is all just fluff to throw us off until August 1st when the big reveal rolls around and people like me get our vindication.

Or, the two are totally unrelated and the people at Mindstorm Labs are busting their butts to work on the game and not updating the website.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 03:52:57 pm »
That game company looks very fake to me.  They're using MMORPG terms in their news updates.  Tabletop rpgs don't alpha and beta test; they play-test.

RPGs usually don't have press releases either.

If they're not related to the movie in any way they have lucked out big time.

Does anyone live in Ottawa, Canada?  They could give them a call and swing by.