Poll

Have you ever been diagnosed with a form of autism?

yes
33 (32.7%)
no
68 (67.3%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: The AS (Aspergers) topic.  (Read 69066 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: The AS (Aspergers) topic.
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 07:16:41 pm »
If every person on the board that had claimed to be Asian was a dickhead, would you have a rule banning Asians?

Not to be too picky here, but a psychological condition perceived in this case to be almost solely used to excuse antisocial behaviour is not really comparable to race.

The point he's trying to make, whether appropriate or not, is that in his experience people who claim to have the syndrome are just using it as an excuse, and that the ban is a defensive measure against the antisocial behaviour. If every person who came to the board who acted antisocially used "I'm an Asian" as an excuse, I think the same reaction would be expected.

Did I get that right, Luminar?

As a side note, as I pointed out on Gabbly, anyone else notice that the Asperger's article on Wikipedia is very obviously mostly written by people with the syndrome?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 07:17:46 pm »
120 (count them) citations :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 07:18:43 pm »
Im probably a little minefield of such things, but I dont have a great deal of trust in doctors or the medical system. Not entirely on a personal level, but its far too easy to go from a patient to a statistic when you're no longer in the room, and that seems to be pretty much where the interest in you ends. General practitioners not qualified to diagnose more subtle mental/emotional problems really cant do anything unless you tell them what you think is wrong, but the natural response is to reassure and say its nothing. Then there is the fact that a lot of the most needy, even when making the approach, will downplay things and try to appear okay to the doctor.

Well, that, and a 6 month waiting list for a councellor turning into 2 years. Then being told the psychoanalyst cant do anything for you. Or trying to tell a doctor whats wrong, and the reply is "Well what do you want me to do about it?", then proceeding to give you impatient "Oh god, a whiner" style glances. The second time on the waiting list, finding out that you accidentally 'fell off the list somehow' after 9 months, when you ring in wondering whats going on. Or having an 'examiner' who really doesnt seem qualified to diagnose emotional/mental problems, remark on every answer you give to the form they're filling in for you, like :

Ex : "5) Do you have any troubles sleeping? Disturbed rest? Insomnia? Sleep too much?"
Me : "-insert my answers here-"
Ex : "-insert smirk here- Why dont you just buy an alarm clock? -insert long pause here, holding gaze, being serious, expecting a reponse-"
or
Ex : "7) -question with a complex answer, relating to outlook on life, with a large empty box to write detailed answer in-"
Me : "-detailed answer-"
Ex : "-facepalm- Its a simple yes or no question. Yes or no?"

Oh well, yay for competent secondary examiners. I dont know really, for all the people asking you whats wrong, few actually really seem to listen, or make decisions based within their sphere of what they're qualified to diagnose. Im not saying I know better than all the people i've seen, im saying that when it comes to depression and emotional/mental stuff, everyone thinks themselves an expert, with the cure often being "get over it" or something to that extent. Then again, you make fun of someone missing an arm and its not cool, but by all means, rip the **** out of someone who seems miserable and withdrawn or disconnected to the point of derrangement. My general low expectations and such dont help, but they had to be put into place by something, y'know?

The common flaw with psychology is that to analyse some aspects of the mind, you need to be given access to some parts that cannot be observed externally. But if the mind is suffering under some kind of 'odd effect', you cannot expect that information given to you to be accurate or whole. There is a similar but smaller bridge to cross when trying to get from a general medical consultation, over to help with the mental/emotional side of things. Because, as I said, everyone seems to feel themselves a bloody expert.

To be perfectly frank it seems to me to be more like a fashion statement than an actual syndrome. Too many people on the internet claim to have it and use it as either a badge to identify themselves with (which, in doing so pretty much goes against what the syndrome supposedly does to you) or use it as an excuse to get out of being a cretin. I go to this one forum elsewhere on the net, and we have a very good rule - users with asperger's = banned on sight. They've been nothing but trouble. ANNOYING trouble.
I havent seen that much myself, but the "aspies" group thing had a bit of a scene-kid feel. I understand the compulsion to tell people about things, as a kind of counter to being self conscious about it, kind of like a 'bite the bullet' on something that doesnt really need to be mentioned, but there have been some who 'migrated' through faked aspergers. Those people will cling to any group as long as they can suckle some delicious attention from it, and it hasnt done the real sufferers any favors either.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 07:47:42 pm by Uroboros »

Offline shadowlord18

• Super Mario Bro.
  • *hug* here you go be well my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 07:24:31 pm »
i have it
Life is not measured by the amount of times you fall down but by the number of times you get back up again.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 07:39:24 pm »
Perhaps an additional question should be answered - how many of the people who claim to have it have been formally diagnosed with Asperger's?

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 07:49:32 pm »
As a side note, as I pointed out on Gabbly, anyone else notice that the Asperger's article on Wikipedia is very obviously mostly written by people with the syndrome?

Dude, practically every regular editor on Wikipedia has Aspergers! Why else would they spend hours of their life editing an encyclopaedia for free?
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 07:52:04 pm »
Stupid people?

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 07:56:15 pm »
Maybe if all the articles lacked depth, and were badly written, then yes, stupid people.

When the article for Jean-Luc Picard is larger and better written than the article for Patrick Stewart, however...
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 07:57:19 pm »
For reals?

*checks*

I didn't notice that untill now.... yikes...

Offline Neoteric

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 08:01:43 pm »
Apparantly, I too have a mild case of Asperger's.
I say apparantly, because I've never been diagnosed with it, though according to my parents I've been unofficially diagnosed several times by reputable psych-people.
Think along the lines of: "It is almost certain he has it, but we can't be 100% sure as if he does have it; by some miracle he can still communicate reasonably well, so he could have a mixture of other things."

Anyway, according to my parents again, it's got worse in the last few years, so it would probably be diagnosed. I can never remember past about a month ago, so...
Regardless, everything seems to fit: the fixations, the weird body language, the mistaking of social cues, dyspraxia, the perfectionism, the thought patterns, and the other things which I can't remember at the moment.

Err, yeah. I hate it for the social side, but I don't know what it'd be like without it. :-\
Also, while I don't write articles, I feel compelled to correct spelling, glaringly bad grammar, and vandalism on Wikipedia. And do, frequently. Normally on random pages from the random page button.

Also, I can't seem to write short posts. If a post is too short in my opinion, I just don't bother posting it. :-[
Or, I make it longer, like this one.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2007, 08:08:59 pm »
I just realised that there's one big thing that normally goes along with Aspergers, that no-one has mentioned. Sensory overload. That thing where too much information comes at you at once, and your brain either just kind of temporarily shuts down, or goes into a tantrum. Am I the only one of us that has this symptom? I don't want to be the odd one out in the oddball group!

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2007, 08:14:58 pm »
Luminar, the rule is still not justified.

If every person on the board that had claimed to be Asian was a dickhead, would you have a rule banning Asians?

Racism is different.
And don't try to turn this around with a torrent of mindless insults and ad hominem like you usually do. Racism is not in the same league as what I stated and that's the end of it.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2007, 08:17:05 pm »
Yeah, what Luminar does is discrimination, not racism.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 08:21:36 pm »
Don't ask don't tell policy. It is incredibly simple in this regard;

If you don't let on that you have it, which you have no business, reason, or priveledge to do so in the first place, nor should any inclination to do so be present given what the syndrome entails, you're fine. Heck, its likely some are right there - difference is they don't use it as a ticket out of being a complete and total prat. In this regard, it's assclowns who bear the brunt of the policy and not the genuine sufferers, who wouldn't put themselves in such a position in the first place. In a turnabout manner, it's frankly a service to them.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 08:26:12 pm »
Don't ask don't tell policy. It is incredibly simple in this regard;

If you don't let on that you have it, which you have no business, reason, or priveledge to do so in the first place, nor should any inclination to do so be present given what the syndrome entails, you're fine. Heck, its likely some are right there - difference is they don't use it as a ticket out of being a complete and total prat. In this regard, it's assclowns who bear the brunt of the policy and not the genuine sufferers, who wouldn't put themselves in such a position in the first place. In a turnabout manner, it's frankly a service to them.

So is this really a ban on Aspergers? Would you ban someone just for mentioning they had it? Or is it just the fact that they're being a dick about it? If the latter, maybe you should consider a more general rule: Don't be a dick.