Poll

Have you ever been diagnosed with a form of autism?

yes
33 (32.7%)
no
68 (67.3%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: The AS (Aspergers) topic.  (Read 69135 times)

Offline Dr. Croccer

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Ceci n'est pas un gueu
    • View Profile
Re: The AS (Aspergers) topic.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 02:40:36 pm »
Surely Asperger's syndrome can't just go away, its an actual neurological... thing. Either you still have it or you never had it.
It can wax or wane. Some people have it mostly in their early childhood and later the effects weaken. I still have a few things that are considered a part of Aspergers: I'm a little materialistic, I prefer people not to touch my stuff; I'm mentally specialized in one thing, history whilst I suck at Maths and Technical Class; I like to know things before they happen and prefer to plan things. Some people with Aspergers have it for life and the effects don't grow or shrink whilst others barely know they have it in childhood and the syndrome grows when they get older. But like you said, you have it or you don't have it, the effects are just larger or smaller by certain people. Some people just have low self-esteem and are bad at relationships whilst others cannot have a normal conversation with someone.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 03:57:16 pm »
To be perfectly frank it seems to me to be more like a fashion statement than an actual syndrome. Too many people on the internet claim to have it and use it as either a badge to identify themselves with (which, in doing so pretty much goes against what the syndrome supposedly does to you) or use it as an excuse to get out of being a cretin. I go to this one forum elsewhere on the net, and we have a very good rule - users with asperger's = banned on sight. They've been nothing but trouble. ANNOYING trouble.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 04:07:19 pm »
Oi, I don't think I'm that bad! Unfair generalisation, much?
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 04:56:49 pm »
Well, I have Asperger's Syndrome, so banning on sight would seem a bit silly to me. :P

Anyway, I don't know about you guys, but I can very much more easily express myself through text than I can talking out loud.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 08:03:59 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 04:58:56 pm »
Definitely. Especially because you can actually spend time thinking about what you're going to say. I always feel like I'm being put on the spot in conversation.
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 05:20:36 pm »
Same here. And people just plain make me nervous...

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 05:28:04 pm »
Crazy introverts :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 05:36:40 pm »
Perhaps an additional question should be answered - how many of the people who claim to have it have been formally diagnosed with Asperger's?

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 05:41:11 pm »
I have. At first, I was diagnosed with ADHD, but that turned out to be a false diagnosis. Later I was diagnosed with Asperger's by two doctors (the second was for a second opinion, I guess, or maybe just to be absolutely sure). When I was diagnosed with it, I had never heard of it before.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 05:44:46 pm »
I've been formally diagnosed as well -- I wouldn't claim to have it if I hadn't. I also encountered two doctors during the diagnosis. And people thought I might have ADHD.

But I had heard of it before. I had recently learnt that my best friend was also afflicted. I guess we got on so well because we were alike, and understood each other, and stuff.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 06:13:10 pm »
Well, it started out as Non-verbal learnig disorder, but the second psychologist said it didn't realy exist and was just a form of Aspergers, which in turn is a form of autism... and now I'm confused...

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 06:39:57 pm »
It seems way too common by my reckoning. Perhaps the ones I actually come across only have it mildly.
That said, in the forum's history the rule is 100% justified, since there has been case after case of people trying to use it to get themselves out of having done something mindlessly stupid, offensive and/or disruptive.

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 06:40:38 pm »
i have it, not like it has held me back in anything

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 06:52:12 pm »
Luminar, the rule is still not justified.

If every person on the board that had claimed to be Asian was a dickhead, would you have a rule banning Asians?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 06:58:49 pm »
Hey hey hey!

Aspies are people too!