Author Topic: Any advice on finding a wii  (Read 4963 times)

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
Any advice on finding a wii
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:48:07 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on a good strategy to finding a wii. I finnaly got the money to get a wii and i cant find one.

STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Any advice on finding a wii
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:01:05 pm »
Check retailers that you wouldn't normally expect to sell this sort of stuff. Places like Circuit City, Toys 'R Us, Fred Meyer, K-Mart, etc.

These aren't the shops that first come to mind when someone is looking for a Wii, so you run a much better chance of finding one in these places.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 10:52:23 pm »
Get to know the the people behind the counter. Ask when they usally get thier shipments in, call everyday if you have to, don't be a jerk or anything say your pleases and thank yous. Also check craigs list, there are some crappy deals but every now and then you can find a good one. That's how I got my 360 before oblivion came out.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 08:03:48 am »
The problem with some stores like EB and GameStop is that their shipments are controlled solely by corporate and they have no control and most of the time, no knowledge when they will be getting shipments. Don't even try to get a straight answer as to how many units a store will be getting, anything a clerk will tell you is most likely an estimate based on past experiences although sometimes it is correct.

The best way to get yourself a Wii is to go to the store when it opens, every day, until you hit a day when a shipment has arrived. Anything other than that and you will be late almost every time.

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 12:11:13 pm »
Don't. The wii is a waste of money, the propoganda is for pre-schoolers (apart from zelda and similer.) and most of the games suck.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 12:45:16 pm »
Don't. The wii is a waste of money, the propoganda is for pre-schoolers (apart from zelda and similer.) and most of the games suck.

We don't need this sort of filth here.

He asked for advice on how to get a Wii, not your biased opinion on whether he should get one.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 02:11:13 pm »
I was in Best Buy yesterday and the had them in stock. Limit 1 per person and they had them in a locked area. Also, Target has had regular deliveries of them for a few weeks now where you can find them on the shelves as late as Wednesday.

As for strategy, most stores put them on the shelves on Sunday morning, that is the best time to check.

-Lego

Offline The Rut Nut

• Mystery House Madman
  • I'm 100% Awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 02:27:28 pm »
Well, legodragon, that wasn't the case with me. I was just out, hoping to find one. I was just lucky, I think, and for this you might need a certain degree of luck. I just called Sam's Club on a Friday night, asking if they happened to have any, and they said they had JUST received a shipment. They only had ten, though... but that's how I got one. Actually, it was this past Friday. I've not even had mine for a week.
Wii Friend Code :  7212 3384 7515 0076

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 09:34:02 pm »
I talked to some of my friends today and most of them got theirs 12am sunday at Wal marts.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 09:41:22 pm »
Like people said less common games retailers. Don't bother with EB just pick a large mall you can visit regularly that has a lot of possible places. For example in my case there is a major mall that has an EB, (even if it is a poor choice) JB hifi, Toys R Us, Target, Myer. Plus a few other options across the street. That way you get hit many stores quickly increase your odds.

You could look into ordering online although I'm not sure what kind of wait you are looking at if you try that still might be worth looking into see if you can find out how long you can expect to be waiting.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 10:27:24 pm »
Amazon.

I almost bought one a couple weeks ago, then decided that I'd rather save for a 360 (since I'll probably only get one console from this generation).

Offline Saromu

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 04:43:06 pm »
I got mine on eBay. Spent a little extra on it but that's what you get when you can't find it elsewhere.

gec05

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 04:47:48 pm »
Awesome story from me, improbable to happen to you though.

I had to separare with the Wii since my brother took his away. I frantically looked for another at the stores. They're still selling out. But a friend told me that at an EB store they were holding one for him and he was waiting for that call for 3 months. He generously let me have it so I drove down to the store and bought it. I was rather touched by my friend to see how patient he was and how he let me have it. Next day they called my friend back and told him they just got another one and saved it for him again. He bought it, we both won. ;D

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 07:05:18 pm »
He actually let you have the hold one?

gec05

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 11:01:21 pm »
Yup. And to think they had one for him the next day too.