Poll

Do you think this could be true?

Yes, I think it could be true
No, it's a bunch of crap
Maybe, it sounds like it could happen
Bah, I don't care

Author Topic: Doomsday - 2012  (Read 17943 times)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Re: Doomsday - 2012
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 11:28:35 am »
This kind of thing scares me, as I'm quite superstitious.  However, I don't think that in five years time this can possibly happen, for reasons backed up by some other cynics in the above posts.  It's interesting, and scary.  If true, I hope I'm one who survives and has a say in how humankind progresses.  If not, then like someone else said I'm going to get very drunk at a doomsday party!

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 11:28:55 am »
Several authors have predicted a special astrological/astronomical alignment between the Galactic center in the constellation of Sagittarius, the Winter Solstice point, and the open cluster of the Pleiades. Factually, the coincidence of the Winter Solstice point (due to the precession of the Equinoxes) and the galactic center is basically true. However, the opposition of the Pleiades is not true. The Pleiades are located in the constellation of Taurus, and lie at an angle of about 150 degrees to the Galactic Center. The Pleiades would have to be located in the constellation of Gemini to be close to being in opposition, or a 180 degree angle.

Further, the proper motion of the stars in the Pleiades Cluster is such that they move across the sky relative to Earth. This takes place quite slowly as seen on the human time scale. Three million years ago the Pleiades were seen near the constellation of Cassiopeia. Three million years in the future, they will appear near the feet of Orion. This is easily validated using freeware programs such as Move A Star[15], which allows one to see the proper motion of stars over an extended period of time.

The Pleiades have never been, and never will be, in 'opposition' to the galactic center as seen from Earth.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 11:35:00 am »
I heard about this a few years ago from a book about Aztecs, who based thier calendar on that of the Mayans. 2 people survive every time to carry on humanity. You have a one in thre billion chance.

I remember I spent the 6/6/6 playing 'It's the End or the World as We Know it." by REM out of thew window. Take that, superstitious suburbia!

www.exitmundi.nl has alot of similar theories, but I imagine it's been posted here before.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 11:35:36 am »
I'll probably just be sitting at my computer, reading a book or playing basketball.

Dosen't concern me at all.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 11:35:42 am »
Apparently a asteroid by the name of apophos or something like that may hit the Earth in 2012, but we don't know that.

Oh, and by the way, I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet how the Mayans thought the world will end.  It will end in an earthquake, but two people will survive, and a new species will be formed out of those who didn't.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 11:39:46 am »
The Mayans also cut the hearts out of people and devoured them as means of human sacrifice.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 11:41:00 am »
They also believed that the sun is a god that sacrificed himself, and he won't rise if there aren't any sacrifices.

Just relax.  The world won't end anytime soon.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 11:47:45 am »
*cough*
Bunch of crap.
I was afraid of 6/6/06.
Now I don't care.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007, 12:09:29 pm »
WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE

well, yes, thank you for pointing that out...but what does that have to do with the apocalypse?
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 12:11:28 pm »
The 21st of December, the 12th month, and nobody believed me when I said that the number 21 would have something to do with something.  ::)
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 12:23:21 pm »
i don't think anything will happen on that date..

however i have been reading the theroies about it and so far i like shadow run's theory the best (magic comes back! :P)

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 12:41:21 pm »
That's funny you mention that. My friends have been talking a great deal about it. Most seem to be on the fence about if it will happen or not, personally I'm hoping for some world destroying event that leaves us in a post-apocalyptic world fighting survival. It'd be like camp.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline DMB

• Venture Conqueror
  • Braaiiiiinnnsss and cake!
    • View Profile
    • BobtheZombie's Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 12:55:36 pm »
It's a bunch of crap. This whole end of the world thing is just a faux prediction put together by an ancient civilization who barely understood the works of the world. Not that reliable. There's a big difference in what we expect to believe and what will really happen. If any terror on earth is going to happen, it's going to happen in the next generation.  Global warming, over population, war and such.
Save Ferris. Save the World.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."Bob's Blog

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 01:43:53 pm »
hehehe, i read "Doomsday - 2012" and thought about the london olympics.

but anyway, its a load of balls.
Never mind your own business.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 01:51:06 pm »
How many times has the end of the world been predicted now? I can't count them on both my hands.

Anyways i suspect that people knew about the mayan thing then started coming up with other things to happen in 2012.