Poll

Do you think this could be true?

Yes, I think it could be true
No, it's a bunch of crap
Maybe, it sounds like it could happen
Bah, I don't care

Author Topic: Doomsday - 2012  (Read 17958 times)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Doomsday - 2012
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:01:16 am »
I'm watching the History Channel and I got intrigued by a show called Doomsday 2012: The End of Days.

here are prophecies and oracles from around the world that all seem to point to December 21, 2012 as doomsday. The ancient Mayan Calendar, the medieval predictions of Merlin, the Book of Revelation and the Chinese oracle of the I Ching all point to this specific date as the end of civilization. A new technology called "The Web-Bot Project" makes massive scans of the internet as a means of forecasting the future... and has turned up the same dreaded date: 2012. Skeptics point to a long history of "Failed Doomsdays", but many oracles of doom throughout history have a disturbingly accurate track record. As the year 2012 ticks ever closer we'll speculate if there are any reasons to believe these doomsayers.

So they all think that the date Dec. 21, 2012 is going to be the date of major changes in the world. One of the theories is a polar shift which would cause major disasters. It seems that is also the date that our solar system will intersect with the Galactic Center of the Milky Way. They say that by doing that, the magnetic field will change and earth's crust will break and start floating or it will rotate the other direction causing floods, earthquakes and tsunamis.

This is an interesting theory yet scary at the same time. I hope it's not true or at least not to the extent of what the show was saying. I know this information has been out there for awhile but it's the first time I've really seen this information.

Do you think this could happen? Do you think it's crap? What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 10:34:05 am by LadyM »

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
Re: Doomsday - 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:07:53 am »
As I see it, a culture (or cultures) too backward to realise that the earth was not the centre of everything predicted the end of the world thousands of years in advance. To be frank, it's not exactly compelling evidence.
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 10:08:08 am »
That is my mother's birthday.

I'll have to tell her about this. :P

I think it's all a coincidence, people love to find these silly little patterns and whatnot. There is nothing to worry about, and please, people, I am going to have to insist that you do not let the news media get a hold of this! They'll scare everyone into hoarding toilet paper just like they did for Y2K.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 10:21:30 am »
I added a poll in case someone wants to vote but not comment.

I think the most interesting part of this is that the same date is coming up in different cultures, not just the Mayan one.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 10:22:39 am »
I guess what I lack, is the event that will cause this.

If I had an idea what it would be, maybe I'd pay more attention.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 10:25:38 am »
I've seen this show a couple times now, and as far as it looks, it seems just as coincidental as the "bible codes" and other such "prophetic" things.

If we can read into things and learn before they happen, then I'll believe it. As for now, we're just applying specific things that have happened to fairly vague passages. Like said by the voice over guy at one point in the show, it's all "postphetic".
Virus Buster.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 10:32:15 am »
holy crab! i'm still alive then! :o
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 10:49:15 am »
If it does or does not happen then... whatever. I am very interested in the way the Mayans kept time and recorded astronomy, however. December 21st is the day the sun lines up between Earth and the very center of the Milky Way. It only happens once every 21,000 years. Even if it isn't the end of the world, it's a special day.

The sun goes in cycles of high and low magnetic activity, that are predictable. It just so happens that the next peak of solar activity is in 2012. As if that wasn't bad enough, astronomers are starting to find evidence that the sun is starting to switch it's magnetic poles, which it does every couple thousand years I think. This could also lead to the Earth switching poles, causing lots of weather disturbances.

Oh, dear, but all this has been said already. I should really learn to read the first post...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 10:50:56 am by Kishmond »
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 10:56:12 am »
WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 11:07:18 am »
The "prophecy" is full of flaws. One of them is that it's actually the 23rd, and not the 21st. You can learn more on Dark Days Are Coming.

And another thing: It is believed by many that humankind will enter an age of enlightment. I don't think this is correct, but we're in the 5th. Mayan world beginning right now. Humankind got a huge technological boost when we entered the 5th. section (Nuclear physics, etc.), so I can only imagine what will happen when we enter the 6th. (Terra-forming? Colonizing another solar system? So much!)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 11:33:20 am by SmileyMan »

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 11:10:19 am »
nothing just hapens like that...it has to go slow...with small changes

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 11:11:18 am »
It's a very interesting match-up, but I think it could all be explained perhaps by a simple mathmatical algorithim (sp?) in the creation of these calanders, and, by using this same equation, all ended on this specific date.

It seems that is also the date that our solar system will intersect with the Galactic Center of the Milky Way.

The Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy is 30,000 light-years away; an impossible distance to travel in just five years.

Also at the center is a spewing black hole, so rather than earthquakes, tsunami's, etc., it'd be more likely that our planet gets ripped apart into little bits.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 11:12:54 am »
There are going to be some awesome parties in December 2012. Whether the end of the world is real or not doesn't matter.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 11:21:15 am »
It seems that is also the date that our solar system will intersect with the Galactic Center of the Milky Way.

The Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy is 30,000 light-years away; an impossible distance to travel in just five years.

Also at the center is a spewing black hole, so rather than earthquakes, tsunami's, etc., it'd be more likely that our planet gets ripped apart into little bits.

I think that refers to the elliptic, the plane which intersects the galactic center, not the center itself.

I've been hearing these prophesies for and am yet to hear a compelling reason to trust them.  My calendar runs out of pages every year, but that doesn't mean it's the end of the world, just that the calendar company doesn't want to put several million pages in their calendars.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 11:25:11 am »
Not the exact center but will intersect with the Milky Way Galactic plane. They did mention the black hole too and that the Mayan's also predicted that.

This website has pictures explaining the intersection and alignment: http://www.viewzone.com/endtime.html