Author Topic: Sonic RPG in the works.  (Read 18127 times)

gec05

Sonic RPG in the works.
« on: June 21, 2007, 09:25:25 am »
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6091&Itemid=2

Read the article. SEGA's latest attempts at improving Sonic's image haven't been stellar, but they are trying. What does everyone have to say about this?

I'm just curious as to how the speedy hedgehog will work in an RPG based game. But I can picture it after playing a game like Sonic Battle for GBA. And with a notable studio like BioWare working on it, what can we expect?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:32:43 am by Eligecos »

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic RPG in the works.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 09:38:52 am »
if this ends in a failure, i'll make the following statement:

'let sonic die. if you love him you have to let him go.'
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:56:10 am »
I just don't see it working out well. Mario worked well in an RPG because the Mario universe has a lot of interesting characters to work with, as well as all the potential.

Sonic's got what? Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Dr. Eggman and a bunch of other minor characters that people could care less about.

I'd love to be proven wrong and it actually works well, though. It'll probably require a unique story, but Sonic could use a new story. Hard to say if BioWare actually will deliver on that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:57:46 am by Yossitaru »
Virus Buster.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 10:30:11 am »
The 360/PS3 game was really the last straw for me, it doesn't matter how great the old Mega Drive games were, constant terrible sequels have killed him stone dead.  However, if there's anyone that could revive the series, then it's Bioware, I'm looking forward to what they can do with it.

And I think the Sonic universe has at least as much interesting things about it to make it as good as a Mario RPG, and I suspect Bioware will want quite a bit of creative freedom for this anyway.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 11:20:47 am »
It's BioWare; the game will be fine. :)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 04:01:54 pm »
I wish BioWare was working on a new IP for the DS. Sonic (sigh), maybe they'll do something good with it?
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 08:54:34 pm »
Wow just this morning I was thinking of something so similar to this I must be like having some kind of clairvoyance or something. After random surfing youtube and crossing the Mario/Sonic/Dragonball Z thing made me think if something like that could translate into an RPG, or even if Sonic alone would work in RPG format. Either way if it can be done Bioware can do it.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 10:34:49 am »
I hate what the Sonic series has become: a 'badass' attitude that 14-year olds love combined with a miserable attempt at epicity what with godlike powers being given out like candy, all in a setting with realistic humans speaking to cartoon animals.

I think the Super Mario RPG would have been less well-recieved if it included cars, guns and self-loathing circlejerks.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 03:58:38 pm »
The link below sums up what sonic has become pretty well.

Warning: Extremely foul language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8qzD6DpkY

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 03:52:17 am »
They could easily fix the Sonic series if they stopped trying to make it so story-driven and if they ****ING DEBUGGED THEIR GAMES PROPERLY. Making a Sonic RPG doesn't bode well for the first thing, though.
I hate what the Sonic series has become: a 'badass' attitude that 14-year olds love...
SONIC! HE IS REALLY COOL!
SONIC! HE'S GOT AN ATTITUDE!
SONIC! HE'S THE FASTEST THING ALIIII-EEE-IIVE!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 06:48:53 am »
For Rizzle!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline thedamnarchive

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 10:10:22 am »
I'm the biggest Bioware fan out there, and I'm sure this game will be loads of fun, but I just can't stand Sonic The Hedgehog and all those assorted characters, and his games aren't very good either so I have mixed feelings about this game.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 10:20:06 am by thedamnarchive »

gec05

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 08:18:11 pm »
I read a rather vauge interview IGN had with the developers. I think the BioWare director sounded a bit overly enthusiastic about the whole thing. SEGA also said that they felt that they are capable of making the RPG themselves being that they claim they are "one of the greatest developers." But wanted to add double the power by joining with another great developer. (Notice how I didn't add parenthesis in BioWare's case.) I think SEGA was afraid to admit they couldn't pull it off by themselves.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 09:06:39 pm »
I hate what the Sonic series has become: a 'badass' attitude that 14-year olds love combined with a miserable attempt at epicity what with godlike powers being given out like candy, all in a setting with realistic humans speaking to cartoon animals.

I'm 14. I object. Even I'm more mature than that. Sonic is aimed at 8-10 year olds. Hell, I stopped playing Sonic at 7. Too easy. Too many characters. Marios better.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.