Author Topic: Whispers [Story]  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Whispers [Story]
« on: June 17, 2007, 08:26:55 am »
Murquan started out into the darkness of space, see rocks, tumbling, wildly, chaotically, around the communication area in which he had been posted. The communications systems were picking up nothing, just the distant buzz of messages and transmissions that were out of range and not meant for them. He yawned, feeling lethargic, a dull ache setting into his tentacles at thier lack of use; as though his body was protesting at being incarcerated in the Communication Station in Kinta Moulon for so long. He ate some rations. Not because he was hungry: simply because there was nothing to do. The rocks, ever tumbling, tumled apart once, revealing a black ship that appeared made of stone, with green light coursing along lines up and down it's hull. Moving towards the Station with a sinister, silent grace. It took a minute for him to realise what it was.

"****! Draani!" He frantically patted buttons, hearing the familair Be-shuuuuuum noise as one by one he turned off all systems of light, 'entertainment', relaxtion and food/ water preparation. Leaving just his Life Support: then he ducked under his terminal, after all, he'd always been told, was how you got killed. You followed the technical manual and forgot Draani could simply look at the Station and see you grinning. Death generall followed. He curled up, tense, for a second...Oh, BY THE COLD GODS! He had not turned the Communications relay systems off. The crackling white noise was audible, now that all engines were off, and any scanner would pick up activity on the Station. The the Draani would search it. Then he'd die. Brutally. He considered quickly diving over and turning them off, but the Draani would notice any movement or change in the Station. The ship hung there, mockingly. Had they seen him? Would he die? The cold surface of the ship remained aloof, impassive. Then, without warning, another Draani ship arrived.

"Kkkkkkkkkkklll- Clicsk schusbna nonkik kiktit tiktit tian-kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk..."

What the hell? A sudden break in background noise...of transmissions...coming from a Draani ship? Impossible. Draani didn't co-operate. They killed each other and disassembled anything for spare parts. Besides that, Draani couldn't speak. Not any more. They were all insane, mental, mad with blood-lust. All they ever did was silently patrol, repair thier ship and occasionally bubble over, exploding into violent rages, going insane and killing anything nearby. There was a hormone for it, because Draani were meant to fight, he remember'd being taught in Auyuelcliadic History. The ships slipped away silently.

///Erm, Murquan of Communication Sensor and Transmittor X-876579. I have picked up..um..transmissions.///

/// Well, that is your job, X-876579. Who from, detailing what, to whom, and why do we need to know?///

///Well...um....from...a....Draani ship, sir.///

///You are mistaken. Draani cannot speak, or communicate in any way. Send me the recordings. ///

///Patching through right now, sir.///

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Re: Whispers [Story]
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:01:24 am »
Marquan stood before his commanding officer, in a Space Station owned bu the Republic's military.

"Arika's teeth, we've has a workload. We had the text translated: which was no easy task! We had to use software a thousand years out of date, and languages change enough in 20 years, and we generally upgrade our Translators every ten. Bah! Also, we could only translate into Old Auyuelcliadic, which we then have to translate again into something resembling modern language.

A-hem,
[Infinitve] See Auyuelcliad. Activity Commence Ignore. Activity Continue Search

To which the reply was:
Correct/Affirmative/Positive. Continue.

All very odd. I've been talking to the Representative, and he has brought in some ships with advanced hacking and surveillance technology. We shall get to the bottom of this. Marquan, you are to be stationed as Advisor to the Admiral-Representative on board the Capital Ship.......Our Meeting is concluded, good day..."

Marquan watched as th officer turned off the recording equipment.

"...And this is a brilliant oppurtunity for you. Promotion beckons. Just try not to mess it up. And, Marquan?"
"Yes?"
"I've heard reports of a planet, swarming with Draani. I heard a rumour that communications were picked up from it, but that the Government hushed it up. Don't get too involved. If it gets political, it's over your head, and you should let it go."
"Ok..."

Marquan left, far from reassured.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.