Author Topic: Dangerous Dog Ban  (Read 11184 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Dangerous Dog Ban
« on: June 16, 2007, 09:16:01 am »
Now I know they have this in a few other countries and a some cities here in the US, but now they want to push it here.

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_166173716.html

Now, this seems really stupid to me and I fired off a letter to the editor of the main local newspaper. Does anybdy else on here live in places where this has been enforced? I'm curious what the atmosphere for something like this is where it is happening.

-Lego

Oh, here is my letter to the editor.
Dangerous Dog Ban

Recent news articles point out that Rep. John Lesch, DFL-St. Paul, said he plans to push next year for a state ban on Akitas, chow chows, Rottweilers, pit bulls and wolf hybrids or mixed-breed dogs with any of the above traits. So if I understand it correctly, fear of potential aggressive behavior is now justification for wholesale slaughter.

"You never hear stories about roving packs of golden retrievers attacking children in our streets," Lesch said. "But you do hear about the pit bulls, who are responsible, according to Minnesota statistics, for up to one third of the vicious attacks in this state in the past five years."(WCCO)

People are known for aggressive behavior. You never hear “A roving group of nuns attacking people in the streets.” But how often do we hear that a group of children, or young adult males attacking people? If we were to follow John Lesch’s thinking, all groups of children ‘looking’ dangerous, would be better off killed than actually dealing with them on an individual basis. If the concept of ‘traits’ were to be added then we would only target groups of children displaying symbols of organization and an apparent desire to stop people or interrupt their daily lives. I am not so sure the sudden death of Girl Scouts selling cookies will make the world a safer place, do you?

The logic being displayed right now by John Lesch is archaic and flawed, and while my example above is a bit silly, it isn’t that far off. In an era where people are pushing for diversity and acceptance, groups are still struggling with individuals that make them look bad. What is a ‘kill them all’ mentality saying? It is saying that there is merit to genocide-style policies.

If this ban in enacted, I want to see John Lesch issued a rifle, a baseball bat, and a pick-up truck. He should then spend the first 60 days of the enacted law driving around the metro area looking for these ‘dangerous dogs’. When he spots one, no matter where, it will be his duty to walk up to it, cry out “This dog is Dangerous!” and beat it over the head until dead, throwing the carcass in the bed of his truck and moving on. If he is unable to get close enough to the dog (say in a fenced yard) he should take the rifle and shoot it, leaving a notice on the door of the home stating that “It had to be done for the protection of mankind.”

I want to see John Lesch tell a little boy that they are going to kill his puppy because they are too lazy to enforce the current animal laws as they exist today.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 09:18:08 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Dangerous Dog Ban
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:19:24 am »
We have a dangerous dog ban over here that has come under more scrutiny recently after a little kid got mauled to death b y a Pit Bull. I have to say i'm in favour of it, these are dogs that have been bred for aggressiveness as guard dogs or pit dogs, they were never meant to be pets.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 09:22:10 am »
I'm in favour of it too. We've had a couple of dog attacks over here recently.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 09:27:28 am »
Well I know in Philadelphia some kid or an old woman gets mauled by a Pit Bull every few months. Perhaps banning breeds is not the right choice... but people are going to use these dogs for protection and so they are going to make them mean.

It's a hard choice... you can never really judge if a person will be responsible or not and you don't know what they will use the dog for. But you must admit, a dog is a major deterrent when someone is going to break into a house, most people are getting these dogs because their environment is not safe. I guess I would say to repeal these bans because while irresponsible ownership may cause someone to get hurt by the dog, not having a dog could cause the same kind of problems at least as far as crime is concerned.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 09:32:25 am »
A dog can be fairly easily pacified by a well-aimed steak, if a burglar's willing to pay that much.

Besides, that's the same kind of logic run by the gun lobby.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 09:55:13 am »
We should un-breed the dog's aggressiveness.  We don't need guard dogs anymore.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 09:57:16 am »
We should un-breed the dog's aggressiveness.  We don't need guard dogs anymore.

We don't? Could you explain that?

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 10:06:20 am »
We have allarms and guns and police.

We don't need these violent dogs, they are a liability.  However, I don't believe they should be "disposed" of.
* Plank of Wood slaps

QFT

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 10:08:02 am »
We have burglar alarms that can't be disarmed with a string of wieners. :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 10:33:51 am »
Let's kill all cats while we are at it.

Did you know that cats can kill babies? I am not joking, in the winter the cats jump into the prams to get heat and the babies are choked by the cat. Or at least there a lot of people are afraid of that happening.

The problem isn't that the dogs are aggressive or dangerous it is that people don't understand what they get into with the dogs and don't train them properly. Or in the worst case let them loose.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 12:43:04 pm »

We don't need these violent dogs, they are a liability.  However, I don't believe they should be "disposed" of.

And if you were a burglar, would you be more put off by an alarm, that relies on the police (who'll have to look out for your well being, and won't kill you) to get there first, or a dog that might tear you apart?
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 01:08:50 pm »

And if you were a burglar, would you be more put off by an alarm, that relies on the police (who'll have to look out for your well being, and won't kill you) to get there first, or a dog that might tear you apart?

lolsausages
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 01:32:28 pm »
You could just sue the owner, saying that you were lost, and wanted to knock on his door for directions...
* Plank of Wood slaps

QFT

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 01:37:16 pm »
Because a half eaten lump of flesh can sue?

And why were you wearing a mask and have a empty bag and the big van outside?
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 01:41:23 pm »
 But wait, what if a guest comes to your house to surprise you, and the dog kills him?

The point is, you shouldn't have a guarding system that can kill people...
* Plank of Wood slaps

QFT