Author Topic: The Historical Superpower RP Vol II  (Read 44011 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
The Historical Superpower RP Vol II
« on: June 14, 2007, 05:38:54 pm »
Prologue

Nathan was working in his shop, chopping the mutton he knew one of his weekly customers would want in an hour or so.  He lifted the knife from its block and was somewhat confused to find it bloody.  He hadn't used that particular knife in three days, and he always cleaned them off to protect the blades edge.  I just forgot, said a voice that was almost his, nothing to get upset about, everyone forgets time to time.  He nodded to himself and continued cutting into the sheep.  A few moments later he finished and reached for the newspaper he would wrap it in.  His brow furrowed as he realized a second too late that he had mistakenly taken that days front page.  He shrugged it off and continued, 'no news is good news,' right?

Had he read the paper he would have seen a headline that sent chills down the spines of everyone across London that morning (chills, it should be noted, that one particular being was very pleased about).  This headline read:

Ripper Strikes Again, Woman Killed in Home!
Mary Jane Kelly Falls Prey to Notorious Killer

That night Nathan had a horrible nightmare, like the others he'd been having every month or so for nearly a year.  First a woman started to run from a man whose face he couldn't make out.  She would suddenly stop and stand stock still, an expression of terror painted across her face.  She would collapse, apparently from raw fear, and the man would advance on her stricken form.  Then the cutting started.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 07:21:55 am by neoadept »

Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: The Historical Superpower RP Vol II.5
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 06:13:41 pm »
Professor Merriman looked down at the paper in his pudgy hands over his half-moon eyeglasses and tutted quietly to himself.
"Something the matter Horatio?" asked Professor Stott casually, in between two mouthful's of roast mutton. In contrast to the rotund Merriman, Stott was a reedy, thin man, although one feature they both had in common was the proponderance of sideburns adorning their faces.

"Our friend the Ripper has claimed another victim it would seem." replied Merriman "I'm sure Serpentine has already paid a visit to the victim in the morgue, the police must be getting quite fatigued at his continued presence."
The men seated around the table nodded in between mouthfuls of their luncheon. They were quite a diverse collection of individuals, although all of them had the trappings of academics, generally unkempt hair, eyeglasses and so forth.
The only exception was seated towards the end of the table. A clean shaven young man, he would have been quite handsome were it not for his resemblence to a walking corpse. His skin was pale and his eyes bloodshot, he stared glumly into space and took bites of food with no visible signs of enjoyment.

"Who do you think is behind all this, Pleasant?" asked Merriman of the gaunt young man.

"What?" gulped Lucius, jerking out of his vacancy. "Oh, forgive me sir... just some madman I expect."

Lucius was concious of a number of smirks on the face of those present around the table. There was something they weren't telling him. It would be so easy to find out what... but... he couldn't do that. It would be a breach of trust. The Society had been kind to him... in a patronising sort of way.

"Yes, probably a madman" said Merriman, smirking and wiping gravy from his quivering chin. "Anyway, I'm sure you will be pleased to know that you need not go back to the country just yet, as you usually do" he continued.
Lucius wasn't happy to hear it. He liked that little village the Society had sent him to. The city had too many noises... too many lights. The country was restful, and if there was one thing he needed it was rest.

The rest of the society dinner went as usual, with the fellows talking about whatever projects they were persuing. Lucius never quite understood what they were describing because he was never told any particulars. Just after the sweet was served Professor Serpentine turned up with his manservant and Lucius excused himself. That servant always made his skin crawl for some reason.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:46:16 am »
In a dockside warehouse sat a large and heavy crate with a man leaning up against it. There was a rustle just outside of the warehouse and a shadow filtered in through the far wall, it materialized into the shape of a woman.

"Is this it?" she asked the man.

"Yup..." he replied dully, standing up and walking around the crate so that it was between him and the woman.

"Did anyone see you?" she asked.

"Nope..." he replied, lifting the lid slowly.

"Good, then all is going perfectly. With this we will be unstoppable!" she said with a grin.

"Indeed..." the man said.

Off in a corner sat a man in purple robes writing strange symbols into a stone tablet, he was invisible to the two that were speaking. As his pen moved, the symbols seemed to fall away into nothingness, a small spot on the top of the tablet began to glow.

The device has been identified as a Runic Expander dated back to the late thirteenth century, the two conspirators are independent thieves aligned with a rag-tag Chaos sect. You have been following them for some time so their tactics should be all but burned into your memory.  A decree of extermination has been granted and it has been requested that the Runic Expander be sent to The Library for safe keeping. Good luck.

The man dropped the pen and it disappeared into the tablet's writing surface, he gripped both sides of the tablet and joined his hands together, the tablet disappeared between them with a loud snap.

"What was that?" the woman said, glancing around the room.

"..." the man next to her grunted a bit.

The man in purple faded into view in front of the pair, they looked at him, unsure as to what course of action to take.

"I have been ordered by The Eye to retrieve this device." the man said sternly, pointing at the box "Your lives have been deemed inconsequential to the course of events and, under the jurisdiction of The Eye, I have been commanded to exterminate you for the following crimes..."

"What in blazes is this?" the woman asked, taken aback. The man in purple produced the tablet once more and read down a list of charges

"One: Moving stolen magical artifacts, Two: Intent to use stolen artifacts to cause harm to the general populace, Three: Murder..." The man continued down the list, all the while being stared at in disbelief by the pair.

"These are your crimes, read to you by an official representative of The Unblinking Eye of The Cosmos. Your sentence will be carried out now." The man said, stepping forward and sending the tablet away.

Drawing a sword which abruptly burst into flames, the man by the box sprung into action and ran at the man in purple robes. The man in purple mumbled something and pointed at the sword in the man's hands, it shuddered for a moment as rust quickly consumed it before the blade fell to the floor in pieces.

"Time does not wait for the likes of you." the man in purple said, walking up to the stunned man and running him through with a transparent crystal dagger.

Turning around, the man in purple scanned the room for the woman, she had darted off somewhere. There was a rustling of paper from one of the darker parts of the warehouse and the woman's voice could be heard whispering. The man in purple ducked as the shadowy form of a bird shot out of the darkness, he was hit and thrown backwards onto the floor.

"Look at you..." the woman said, her form appearing from the shadows "All high and mighty... you know nothing of my power!"

The man in purple laid on the floor, unmoving.

"An amateur like yourself can do nothing against me and my lovely pets!" she said mockingly, the shadowy bird appearing beside her "So lay still and let me finish you off quietly."

The woman raised her hand in the air and a shadowy black spear appeared, the man's form shuddered and an instant later he was standing behind her.

"Your power is stolen, your abilities abused. You are the amateur my dear..." the man said into her ear.

The woman let out a sharp cry and fell to the ground, a small river of blood flowing from the back of her head. Producing the tablet once more, the man in purple walked up to the large crate that held the Runic Expander. He placed the tablet on to the surface of the crate and drew an eye, when he lifted the tablet a carbon copy of the eye he had drawn sat on the box's surface.

It is done. I shall await my next posting.

The man watched as the crate disappeared from the warehouse, once he was assured of it's safe arrival he disappeared into the city.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 01:23:55 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 01:15:59 pm »
Ripper Strikes Again, Woman Killed in Home! the newspaper's front page read.

Alexander DeCaith looks over the front page as he enters his house. Walking through, he tosses the paper on to the table and pulls out a small black book with gold runic lettering.

"Ripper this... Ripper that... those reporters must not have anything to talk about." Alex said with a sigh as he flips through the book.

Sitting down at a desk, he pulls a gold triangle-esque object on a black string out of a drawer on the desk.

I wonder if that foreman has noticed this missing yet... he thought as he places the necklace on the desk next to the book.

Opening to a page early in the book, he recites a spell. It is shortly followed by the faint sound of electricity and a small ball of electricity forms in his right hand. Nodding and dispelling the ball, he takes the necklace and holds it in his left hand and repeats the spell. The sounds is louder and the ball twice as large as previously. He smiles at the sight. Dissipating the ball, he puts the necklace around his neck. He turns the book to another page and recites another spell. Directing it off towards his right, he concentrates on the spell all the way through. Looking over, he sees his table and the newspaper are encased in a large piece of ice. Shocked at the sight, he laughs a little then stands up with the book. Flipping to another page, he places his hand on the ice block and recites another spell. Finishing, he looks again to see that not only has the ice melted, but the table and a large area around it was ablaze in a blue flame. Admiring it for a couple minutes, he turns to go back to his desk when he notices the fire had spread out of control around the house. Removing the necklace and stuffing it in his breast pocket and sliding the book into his vest, he runs out of the house and watches it burn from a distance.

"Oh f-!" he exclaimed after a few minutes of watching, remembering the new tank of kerosene he bought the other day.

As he runs from the house, a section explodes and causes the entire house to collapse. Sitting down across the street from the house, he watches as the flame continues to burn, now with a red color.

"No home... no job..." he said with a sigh.
Virus Buster.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 04:11:04 pm »
Josh sprints down the street. Taking no notice of a house collasping, only seeing the thing behind him. A thing that didn't exist. He saw a man sitting down on the side of the road. He took out his revolver. He seemed to almost remember he had to do something to this man...But then the memory was lost into the blackness of insanity.

He gave the revolver to the man and screamed "KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT!" as he pointed down the street. There was nothing on the street but in his mind, he saw a huge writhing mass of tentacles.

"SHOOT IT!"
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 04:45:57 pm »
Morton was reading the newspaper in his study. It was not today's however, but one from over two years prior. Glancing across the headlines, he tried to recall anything from that day, that month, even that year.

Nothing! Absolute and unchanging NOTHING! he thought as he slammed the paper down on his desk in frustration.

He began pacing, his mind working furiously to unearth those missing memories. Eventually wandering to a window, he gazed out at the street. A house across the road suddenly burst into flames, it's occupant fleeing to his side of the street before a section exploded and the whole thing colapsed.

Poor fool, probably was messing around with something in there. At least he made it out all right...

He was concidering coming out to talk with the man when someone came running, handing a revolver to the man, and screaming at him to kill something down the road. Putting on his coat he hurried out the door to see what the big deal was...

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 04:51:26 pm »
Josh quickly grabbed the revolver from Alex when he saw the man was going to do nothing. A new man walked out of a building. He raced over to the man ad passed him the gun.

He pointed sharply down the street.

"Shoot it! It follows me, hunts me....Every day, minute, second....Kill it!...."

Josh broke down with a sob and grabbed onto the man's coat, begging for him to kill it.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 05:01:38 pm »
Morton staggered back slightly, but regained his composure. After looking where the man was poining and confirming there was nothing coming, he took the man by the sholders and looked him squarely in the eyes.

"Listen to me. There is nothing following you. I can't shoot something that isn't there." He chose his words carefully. The man was obviously crazy, and challenging the supposed existance of his monster wouldn't help anyone.

"If it would make you feel safer, you are welcome to spend the night at my house."

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 05:06:54 pm »
"Please....Just KILL IT!....It haunts me.....Where can I hide? Where can I hide? Where-"

Josh stared in horror and took back his revolver.

He raised it and fired 3 shots.

The bullets hit the wall on the far side of the street.

He fired three more.

He stared in horror for a second.

He screams: "WHY WON"T YOU DIE, YOU BAST***!"

Josh desperately turned to the man:

"Help me! Hide me!"

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 05:08:07 pm »
Alexander's gaze shifts from the blaze that was once his house, and looks over at the man who had handed him then almost immediately took away the gun.

"I don't have time to deal with an insane asylum escapee right now..." he said as he stands up.

Walking away from both the people and the smoldering pile that was once a building. As he does, a group of firefighters rush by to put out the fire before it spreads. Alexander walks down the road towards the local library. Entering, he makes his way to the reading room and sits down to try to collect his thoughts.
Virus Buster.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 05:14:05 pm »
Morton's grip loosened on the man's sholders as he fired the revolver, fortunately not hitting anyone, and continued ranting.

"Look, just follow me." he said and lead the man into his house, hoping that some of his calm would rub off onto him.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 05:31:37 pm »
Lucius walked through the streets of London, squinting through the brightness of the day. The unpleasent weight of the... 'device' Professor Stott had given him tugged at his coat pocket.
He looked down at the note he had been given... this was his first stop. He looked up to find charred brickwork in place of the house he was to have been visiting. He rubbed  the bridge of his nose and rolled his eyes. Already the complications start.
He tapped the shoulder of a nearby gawker, who had decided the best possible use of his time this afternoon was to watch the fire brigade investigate the house.

"Do you know where the owner of this house has gone?" he asked, not expecting much.

The man wrinkled his nose and adjusted the position of his pipe in his mouth. "That'll be that DeCath fellow, would it?"

Lucius checked his paper and nodded "Yes, Alexander DeCaith. Do you know where he is."

"Couldn't rightly say sir..." said the man, with a leery expression that clearly meant he was lying.

"You do know where he is, don't you?" said Lucius, more wearily than usual. "Because you've probably been watching his house burn down since it started. You just want me to pay you for the priviledge of learning the gentleman's whereabouts. Am I correct in my speculation?"

"Could be sir, could be." said the man, grinning and making a 'pay me now' gesture with his hand.

Something inside Lucius snapped. Who did this man think he was?
Raising his arm quickly, Lucius placed it hard on the man's forehead.
"~You will tell me where Alexander DeCaith is~" said Lucius, gritting his teeth with effort as he probed the man's mind.
"He... went to the library... round the corner" said the man in a dull monotone. His face was frozen in a gormless expression and his eyes started into the middle distance.
"Thank you very much" said Lucius glibly, removing his hand from the man's forehead. Smiling slightly he retrived a penny from his pocket and placed it into the man's outstretched hand as he stood in the street gawping. He would come to his senses a few seconds later with no memory of his ordeal, thats the way it always worked.

As Lucius walked away he was concious of a number of punctuated bangs, like a gun going off. The distant sound of police bells drew nearer as he rounded the corner and headed for the library. Loud bangs weren't uncommon in London.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:33:45 pm by Krakow Sam »

Offline Little

• I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 05:46:53 pm »
Josh waited, hopping anxiously.

"Hide me! Lock the doors! I wounded it but it'll be back soon!"

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 05:57:21 pm »
The man in purple robes walked down a desolate street pondering about the past. A large blast on a nearby street caught his attention, it wasn't so much that there was a blast, but the fact that it had been a burst of blue flame for a moment piqued his interest. He ducked into an alley and came out on the other side to see three people standing around, one was yelling frantically. Two bursts of three shots rang out in the alleyway, the man in purple threw his hand out and six small points glowed. He continued forward, stepping in between six bullets suspended in the air. Once the man had cleared the bullets he shook his hand a bit and the bullets continued onward down the alley.

He walked past the house and looked at it with curiosity, nothing seemed out of place save for the tell-tale signs of a variation of a cold fire spell. The man took note and sighed as he continued down the alley toward the library. He walked inside and placed a few bits of gold on the librarians desk.

"As always, no one is to bother me." he said to the librarian.

Walking across the library floor, the man walked into the one of the middle sections and loaded up a cart with every book in sight. Heading back across the floor with the cart, the man adjusted his hood which totally obscured his face. He sat down at a table by a window and pulled the first book off of the cart, he began reading, spending only a few seconds on each page.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:04:23 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 06:04:54 pm »
Lucius trudged up the steps to the library and walked quietly past the front desk.
The building was largely empty, with most people enjoying the rather pungent 'fresh' air on this clear day. The only people in the room were a man hunched over a book at one of the reading tables and an gentleman  in a purple robe loading up a cart with books... something told Lucius that the man in the robes wasn't Alexander.
He walked up quietly and sat down opposite the man at the reading table.
"Are you Alexander DeCaith?" he whispered.