Author Topic: Gamestop  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Lazerbyte

• Phoenix Fighter
  • You've been Lazered
    • View Profile
Gamestop
« on: June 14, 2007, 02:42:02 pm »
Have you guys noticed that when you go to your local Gamestop they really push for you to pre-order games.

Half the time it is a crappy game or a game that everyone is gonna have 1000 copies of!

I know they get pushed to do this by their corporate office but I'm so tired of buying a used game and then being asked do you want to reserve anything!

We have a fry's here and when the games first come out they are on sale usually 5-10 bucks off the retail price so I will pick them up there!

Don't even get me started on them gutting their games and then selling them as new! 

You can't bring an opened game and return it as new but they can open it and turn around and sell it new.

I have stopped reserving games at Gamestop and just picking it up at Best Buy or Fry's unless Gamestop has some cool freebee you can get for reserving it!

What do ya'll think?

Thank you, as you have just been Lazered

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Gamestop
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 02:44:16 pm »
Did you read that article they released last week?

It covers everything you just talked about.

Go here and check it out, click the links and see if it goes with what you think.

Offline Lazerbyte

• Phoenix Fighter
  • You've been Lazered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 02:47:18 pm »
It just sux that they do that!

It would be like going to the grocery store and they say hey the navel oranges will be out next week want to reserve some for yourself?

I hate pushy people as I feel it is a pressure tactic!  I always say NO! 

The real reason they do it is to build up their numbers and they want you to keep moving the money you have down on to different games so you have "floating" money!  Really stupid if you ask me.

I got into with a district manager too and the manager who I know real well at my Gamestop was like my district manager knows you by name now!

Good maybe they will listen to their consumers becuase if enough people get tired of it there is plenty of compitition around for them! 

I liked it when EB was EB as they had good policies as Gamestop is all about the $ and not about the gamer!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 02:48:41 pm »
I liked it when EB was EB as they had good policies as Gamestop is all about the $ and not about the gamer!

Welcome to Earth, my name is Pat. Around here all businesses do things for money, not people. :P

Read that article that I linked you to, you will like it.

Offline Lazerbyte

• Phoenix Fighter
  • You've been Lazered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 02:50:06 pm »
I like you Patman as you have the same ideals as me :)

You are probably an old Nintendo fan too :)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 02:55:18 pm »
Yeah I am...

I've been trying to get all of their old consoles recently... I just bought a Virtual Boy and some games, should be fun. All I need to do now is replace the Nintendo that I lost.

After that I have the task of finding a Satellaview... that will NOT be fun.

Offline macweirdo42

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 05:44:53 am »
How hard is it just to say no?  Just wondering, 'cause I've never had any Gamestop employee be pushy about it, they'd just ask me and I'd politely say no and get on with my life.  As long as that's just it, I don't see any difference between that and "Would you like fries with that?" 

Offline Lazerbyte

• Phoenix Fighter
  • You've been Lazered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 06:37:21 am »
Ok it is everytime I buy a used game or even an accessory.

I'm not always in the mood for fries and like I tell the people when they ask "Do you want fries with that"

me:  "If I wanted fries I would of ordered them now wouldn't I!"

That let's them know that and solves the problem.

They are just pushy and tell you OH YOU CAN'T FIND IT if you don't preorder it and crap like that and then you go to best buy and they have like 20 copies of the game! 

Just an observation!

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 10:11:51 am »
well some games have upwards to 400 reservation at a single store. dont'cha think it might be hard to find then?
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 01:03:34 am »
I never had trouble finding a game before at occasionally I might have to check a few stores worst case scenario I waited for the 2nd shipment big whoop.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 09:22:34 am »
Its not pushy at all. They are only asking and get this when they do sometimes people remember they actually wanted to preorder something. And its just so darn ungodly difficult to say no. I mean you have to have professional social skills to do it /end sarcasm.
I'm normally..you know..being social and chatting with them before hand so its even easier to say no.

You do know they HAVE to ask right?.

EDIT: Also a crappy game is in the eye of the beholder it may not be crappy just because you believe so.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 09:28:27 am by ShadowBandit »

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 10:03:36 am »
The reason why I hate gamestop is that before they had an entire wall dedicated to PC games.  Now they have half a shelf  :'(
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 10:17:20 am »
I can't even seem to find new PC games on the shelf they have here now... it's like the whole thing is old or used games. :-\
Virus Buster.

Offline Lazerbyte

• Phoenix Fighter
  • You've been Lazered
    • View Profile
Gamestop
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 04:28:25 am »
I'm sure you all are going to hate me for posting this but it is something I really feel needs to be discussed.

When I was looking for Endless Ocean for the Wii I went into my local Gamestop and they didn't get the game and the person there told me I should of pre-ordered it.

Ok this is the problem I have with pre-ordering.  You are giving someone your money for a game that may or may not ever come out and they sit on it and instead of wanting to refund it to you they want you to keep it as virtual money and move it to something else. 

Their policy now is that if the game is not going to sell well they may not get any copies in if someone doesn't pre-order it.  So basically they are telling me we are a video game store but we are not going to carry the merchandise you want because we want you to pre-order it so we can inflate our sales number and show how much we really sold. 

I think this is a very bad practice and everytime I purchase a game at Gamestop they always ask me if there is something I want to pre-order and the last time I told the guy WHY DO YOU ASK ME THIS EVERY TIME.  I just responded back saying is there anyother way you can rip me off today?  He wasn't happy and told me it was his store's policy and what not.  I told him if I wanted to pre order a game I would tell him so and that I do not like being asked every time and I have actually walked out of Gamestop not buying my game for that reason and told them ok going to Target or Best Buy to pick this up and not be asked that question.

I think since the merger of EB and Gamestop that all the good EB policies went down the toliet and Gamestop took over! 

Have you traded in a game the day after it comes out?  You spend $60 bucks on a game and you trade it in the next day oh we'll give your $15 dollars trade in for that game!  And then they put it on their shelf as $54!  So they make a double profit selling the game and screw you in the process.  Why not say sure we will give your $30 in credit and allow you to get another game.  I think the policy is rather stupid and it makes me not want to trade games with them anymore. 

If I were to trade my Wii or PS3 or 360 in I would get maybe $100 for the Wii maybe $150-180 for both the PS3 and 360 mind you the PS3 60gig model sold for $599 and they want to give me $150 trade in value for it and they will turn around and sell it for $400 or more! 

I really think that Gamestop is gouging it's customers and taking advantage of them. 

Do you know how many times I have pre-ordered a game and paid for it in full and only to come to find out they only got 5 games and had 10 pre-orders and they didn't get enough to fill the orders so when I ask for my money back they tell me oh we can't do that but we can put it on a gift card for you to use another time and we will be getting more copies in the next few days and i'm like I can go get it at Fry's or Best Buy just give me my money and let me be on my way. 

They don't want to party with that money and they can be really difficult and I notice it is from store to store as some will refund the money and some will not.

If I paid for something with my credit card and they didn't get enough copies in I want my money back so I can go pick it up somewhere else and be done with it. 

Have any of you had any bad experinces with Gamestop? 

I did manage to find one that I know a lot of the people there and if I preorder a game I usually get it.  But if I go in wanting a game and they only got like 1 or 2 copies in they told me I shold of pre ordered it. 

Target or Best Buy never asks you to preorder anything! 

Also their return policy really sucks now too.  if you buy a game and it is really crappy and it is opened you cannot return it and it used to be you could.

But my biggest problem of all is how they gut 90% of the games they get put the game in a sleeve and keep it behind the counter (it has been OPEND) and they want to sell it to you as new and then you get the last copy and the box is missing or the instruction booklet is gone and they still want you to fork over $60 for the game that has been USED and they are trying to sell it as new!!  Ok if I buy a game and take it home it is used but they open and keep it behind the counter it is still new how is that possible?  It is used as the factory seal has been broken!  I will not buy the last copy if that is the only one they have I will go somewhere else as I want an untouched copy that i know everything will be in it!

Send a message to Gamestop and let them know that selling an opened game as new is just plain wrong and if they can say it is still new when you bring a game back the next day cuase you don't like it they should exchange it out! 

What are your guys thoughts on this situation?

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 07:59:48 am »
Clerk: Do you want a preorder?
Lazerbyte: ARGH WHAT >:(

Generally, the clerks HAVE to ask for pre-orders and deals, cos if they don't and their manager is a jerk they can get reprimanded and fired. I doubt they're going to jeopardise the job they have just to please you, so try and tolerate it. They are floor workers after all and anything they do to annoy or harass you isn't their decision, it's entirely possible they don't like it either but the difference to them is keeping a job or losing it. Blame the corpulent management, as per usual.