Author Topic: SimCity Societies  (Read 25744 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Re: SimCity Societies
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2007, 11:17:19 am »
Yeah, after the review I think I can see my wife playing it (she tried SimCity4 and was lost). I myself liked pipes, highways, zones, etc... With Spore on the horizon, this seems awful repetative. "Content will be in XML and modifiable"... whereas Spore will have the tools right in the game. Maybe when it is $20 or less in the cheap bin I'll pick it up, but there is little that that would seem to hold my attention so far.

-Lego

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2007, 02:45:57 pm »
XML is pretty basic today. Most developers use it simply because it is easy to work with. But that do not make it that much easier to add graphics and animation. That is something Spore will have.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Lu Yan

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • That's a nice spear! Do you use it to Fish?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2007, 11:33:11 am »
This has actually got me excited. The original SimCity series took a lot of effort to become good in and a lot of time to build even the smallest self-sufficient communities. This game seems like it would be more casual, a game you could get into in 5 minutes and play for an hour and have fun every minute of that hour, instead of having an hour of tedious city managing and traffic re-pathing.

If I wanted tedium, I'd work. Or play EVE in empire.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2007, 12:27:35 pm »
Well First Sim City toke some skill. Sim City 2000 was not so easy in the beginning to but once you learned the basics then it became really easy. But 3000 was super easy in comparison. Sim City 4 went back and made the game hard and more realistic which i like. (Even if i have some other complaints. )

This game may actually not be any easier just more abstract. More game like and less simulation. But i would guess that it is easier then Sim City 4
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2007, 01:04:07 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpAJ4368Gws

Eh, looks like something that will fill the gap of now and spore.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2007, 03:48:23 pm »
That actually made the game seem worse in my opinion.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2007, 08:27:19 pm »
SimCity Socieities is taking a beating in the reviews.  IGN gave a 5.8 and Eurogamer a 5.0.  However, I did find one review from finland that gave it an 81.  I'm in no ways a SimCity purist and I kinda thought a City game based upon people rather than plumbing might be interesting.  Are these bad reviews truly justified or did the reviewers just not "get it".   There is already a patch out for the game and I get the sense another one already in the works.  Perhaps they can fix some of the issues that caused the marks to drop.

Up here in Canada the game won't be availible until Weds or Thurs but I think I'm gonna take the risk and try it anyways.  Where it is availible, has anyone had a chance to try it out yet?

My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2007, 11:58:47 pm »
Can be very well that they do not get it. It is not Sim City 5 after all.

The two big games when it comes to the sim games have been Sim City and The Sims. All other games have not sold that much even if several of them have been very good. I especially like Sim Earth. But i do not remember any reviews for those games. It is possible that the people did not get those games ether. I would like to test the game out even if i am a bit skeptical to the none realism and more game like gameplay.  A few of those videos they had also seemed a bit deceptive. That could have tricked even more in to believe it was Sim City 5 which in turn could make people not get the game. Hopefully if it is getting the game aspect that is a problem then the i hope the designers learn from this. Getting the game is one of the most impotent parts of the game. Why one normally do not switch the gameplay elements in a game and if one does one makes it optional. (One may however add more concepts in to the game the further one plays it. Teaching new concepts are a part of what make a good game. Not that one should stop the player form exploring on his own but those things do not not need to collide.)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2007, 03:35:10 am »
It comes out today right?

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2007, 08:33:10 am »
IGN says the 13th and I think it is availible via the EA downloader.  The only country I know of is Canada and up here futureshop says it will have it for Nov 15th.  Sometimes we're a day or two slower than the US as they have to ship it across the border.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2007, 10:49:05 am »
IGN says the 13th and I think it is availible via the EA downloader.  The only country I know of is Canada and up here futureshop says it will have it for Nov 15th.  Sometimes we're a day or two slower than the US as they have to ship it across the border.

EB Canada said the 13th, but the EB where I live sucks they never get anything in on time. I got to Staples before I go to my EB. Regardless I happened to be in Future Shop and EB (mainly because they are a block away) neither had it.

Not surprised by the reviews. The game sounded a lot like City Life, and that didn't do to well.Not to mention this isn't a Maxis project, so the name Sim City means very little.  I haven't checked if there is a demo out, I'd at least like to try it. I'm curious.

My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2007, 12:53:47 pm »
I'll give it a try and get back to you later with some screenies.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »
I got it today after waiting forever for them to unload it from their truck at Best Buy. I have so far just played through the tutorial and i liken the game play to Sim Town. It is cute but no where near as detailed as Sim city 4. Which I did not expect it to be. I will have to report back again sometimes after playing with it free form.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2007, 04:34:05 pm »
Please do Hydro. It will be interesting to see what your take on this game is.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2007, 05:37:14 pm »
Well i played around with it and so far i have this to say.

1. It gets kind of laggy jerky when moving around the screen.

2. I tried to make an agricultural village with huts. But apparently the only way to do this is to have high spirituality. Which seems very limiting if i wanted to have say an atheist village or something.

3. There are really not that many buildings to use. Hopefully in the future there will be custom content to use. Or perhaps expansion packs to fill it up. Its too bad they did not have Spore's building editor. it would have made it great!

4. This is more like a Tycoon game than a Maxis Sim i think. A more appropriate name would have been "Society Tycoon" or something.

5. There is no terraforming which sucks since a lot of the times i wants to level the hills.

6. On the good side they have some great biomes from savanna, coastal, tundra and desert.

I will see if i warm up to this more as i play but for now I am a bit disappointed.