Author Topic: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion  (Read 449451 times)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion
« Reply #360 on: January 28, 2008, 06:38:40 pm »
Your advice has been duly noted, Yokto.  And it is worth keeping if you ask me.  Let me put it another way.  Today candidates must campaign across the country.  If it were put to a popular vote, the candidates would go to only the big cities, mostly on the coasts.  The electoral college keeps the parties national, keeping them from focusing on the densely populated areas and ignoring the rest of the country.

But if there is another extremely close election soon, there will be an increased push to get rid of the electoral college.  We'll see what happens.

Edit: two new replies, but I don't feel like rewriting this.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #361 on: January 28, 2008, 07:15:07 pm »
Anyone watch the State of the Union address?

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 28, 2008, 09:09:22 pm »
Anyone watch the State of the Union address?

I was going to but I forgot :P. There was a good episode of Star Trek on, and then a meh episode of CSI...

In other news, I'll be 18 by November so I think that means I'll be able to vote. So far I like Obama, but If he doesn't win the primaries, then I dunno.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 28, 2008, 09:17:34 pm »
Yes, I watched the state of the union.

No, I don't feel like responding to masterchitoes right now...

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #364 on: January 29, 2008, 05:11:22 am »
Ted Kennedy and the Kennedy family has put it's support behind Barrack Obama this morning. This could be seen as a major slap to the Clinton campaign. We'll probably be seeing less of Bill now.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 29, 2008, 10:58:01 am »
We'll probably be seeing less of Bill now.
Why is this?  Personally, I've never been one to follow politics other than to find out where the candidates stand on certain issues and then choose the one that is most inline with my own thoughts.

Offline GamerMommy

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 29, 2008, 02:50:13 pm »
Ted Kennedy and the Kennedy family has put it's support behind Barrack Obama this morning. This could be seen as a major slap to the Clinton campaign. We'll probably be seeing less of Bill now.

agree. and for hillary to respond in that manner would be wise.  in my experience, especially when discussing politics with my republican friends (and yes, i have some), they looooooooooove to fixate on and pick apart bill's presidency every time his name comes up.  (not that it's good or bad, just an observation.)  i honestly think he's hurting her more than he's helping her...not that i support her anyway.  ;)

the kennedys don't wield the kind of power and influence they once did.  i think this was a purely psychological manoeuver geared toward people of a certain age, because kennedys endorsing obama recalls the "camelot" days in the white house, and therefore seeks to evoke that same type of sentiment around obama which many people seem to feel.

as far as the state of the union address...not even knowing it was his last one was motivation enough to make me watch the freekin' thing.  i get so angry listening to that man anymore that it isn't even worth it for me. i just end up cussing like patrick dempsey without hair product, eatng TUMS like they're M&M's, and throwing things at the TV with blessedly bad aim.

...because hitting toons is healthier than hitting kids...

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #367 on: January 29, 2008, 04:20:19 pm »
We'll probably be seeing less of Bill now.
Why is this?  Personally, I've never been one to follow politics other than to find out where the candidates stand on certain issues and then choose the one that is most inline with my own thoughts.
He's hurting her campaign by being too public and there was controversy this weekend over some remarks he made. He's too high profile I guess but people should know by now, if you get one, you get both.

The Kennedy thing was interesting to me because they were supposed to be friends of the Clinton's but Ted said he supports Obama and he and the Clinton's are still friends. (riiiight) The most interesting Kennedy combination to me is Arnold and Maria. He is a strong Republican and she a Democrat yet they have a great marriage and politics doesn't seem to be an issue with them. Imagine being the only Republican in that Democratic family.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 29, 2008, 04:29:30 pm »
I always forget that the Governator married into the Kennedy family.  That really is an odd pairing.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2008, 05:48:14 am »
John McCain won the Florida primary yesterday and Rudy Giuliani will be dropping out and endorsing McCain. This gave McCain 57 Republican delegates.

Oh, and Hillary won the Democrat primary but no delegates.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:49:50 am by LadyM »

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2008, 05:55:10 am »
Damn you Rudy you yellow belly bastard!

i wanted him to be president but knew their wouldn't be much chance.
Never mind your own business.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2008, 06:00:46 am »
I don't get the whole numerous-people-wanting-to-be-elected thing. Why can't it just be the leaders of each party like In Australia and Britain etc? Geez you yanks make things difficult...  :P

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2008, 06:07:22 am »
Look, I'm a freaking Canuck, so I don't know anything about the candidates. Can anyone point me in the direction that gives me a summary of where they stand on certain issues? Or, you know, just tell me here. >.>

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2008, 06:13:03 am »
Just do a google search on Presidential candidates, it's easy to find. Google is your friend.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 30, 2008, 06:15:03 am »
all i use google for is song lyrics and sheet music.

so google is not my friend, more of an associate.
Never mind your own business.