Author Topic: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion  (Read 332584 times)

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 US Presidential Election-Official Discussion
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 11:15:16 am »
I have to agree with Patman, the U.S. isn't ready for a minority or a woman as president.
If thats true then America sucks something royal.
I don't think that'll really have as big an impact on who gets elected as people are making it out.
I mean 7 years ago it was ready for a Jewish Vice President. (Popular vote wise at least.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:04:14 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 11:38:46 am »
I have to agree with Patman, the U.S. isn't ready for a minority or a woman as president.

I believe Pat was saying that America wouldn't vote for a black or woman president, not that America isn't ready for one. I hope that you don't believe you are not ready for a black or woman president, because that would be terribly racist/sexist.

Speaking of Mike Gravel...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8

Haha, I saw that on the Daily Show last week. Funny stuff... :D

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 11:56:36 am »
I believe Pat was saying that America wouldn't vote for a black or woman president, not that America isn't ready for one. I hope that you don't believe you are not ready for a black or woman president, because that would be terribly racist/sexist.

Uh... ok, so saying you aren't ready for someone is prejudiced, but just not voting for someone on those grounds is just fine.
Seriously? What?
I refuse to believe that America is really so backward that they wouldn't elect a black man or a woman.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2007, 12:02:44 pm »

Uh... ok, so saying you aren't ready for someone is prejudiced, but just not voting for someone on those grounds is just fine.
Seriously? What?
I refuse to believe that America is really so backward that they wouldn't elect a black man or a woman.

No. That's not what I said.

It's prejudiced to say that America isn't ready for a black or woman president, but what Pat was talking about was that he doesn't think America will elect a black or woman president. We can very well be ready for a black or woman president, but not elect one (blame the south).

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 12:07:57 pm »

We've only had one female PM and every PM has been white here in the UK.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 02:11:48 pm »
Wait, you're screwing with the words. And how is that prejudiced? I think it's true (although i NEVER said that i agreed with it), America IS NOT READY for a minority or a female president, plain and simple. I really don't see the difference between "is not ready" and "will not vote for", i think they're the same. And if you feel that there is a clear distinction between them, then my mistake, i should have chosen my words more carefully.
And i noticed in France, one of the most liberal countries out there, that they did not elect the female canidate. I can hardly see America electing a female president. We're talking about a country where walking around in a skimpy bathing suit is frowned upon, compared to the topless beaches that France sports (and sorry if that seems off topic, i was just trying to get my point across).
But again, this is just my speculation, and my opinion.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 02:19:28 pm »
This why the upcoming election will be interesting to watch. With Hilary Clinton and Obama running the Democrats have a chance to have a candidate that is minority or woman. Unfortunately prejudice runs very strong in some of our states, it's not a good thing but it's there and it's not likely to change for awhile longer. I wouldn't call it backward, it's the way they are raised and all they have known.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 02:28:29 pm »
Wait, you're screwing with the words. And how is that prejudiced? I think it's true (although i NEVER said that i agreed with it), America IS NOT READY for a minority or a female president, plain and simple. I really don't see the difference between "is not ready" and "will not vote for", i think they're the same. And if you feel that there is a clear distinction between them, then my mistake, i should have chosen my words more carefully.

I saw "not ready for" as "I don't think we should have a minority or woman president", not "I don't think America will elect a minority or female president". America could be fully ready for such a president, but the populous may not elect them. Are we on the same page now? :)

Unfortunately prejudice runs very strong in some of our states, it's not a good thing but it's there and it's not likely to change for awhile longer. I wouldn't call it backward, it's the way they are raised and all they have known.

It's unfortunate, but the people who wouldn't vote for Clinton or Obama based on their sex/race are the same people who wouldn't vote for the Democratic candidate anyways, so I don't see the sex or race of any candidate affecting the election outcome.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2007, 02:38:38 pm »
I also think it has to be the right person. If Colin Powell would run, I think he would stand a good chance of winning. Clinton is bringing a lot of baggage and Obama is young and the muslum part might hurt him more than the black part. We'll just wait and see I guess.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 02:39:05 pm »
Obama isn't a Muslim.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2007, 02:48:31 pm »
Anyone remember Alan Keyes?

:D

But it comes down to the candidate, as always (well, it doesn't hurt if you're brother is the governor of Florida either). Colin Powell is also much more liberal than most Republicans (and hence his departure after Bush's re-election) so I'm not so sure that Republicans would go for him as much as more traditional conservative candidates.

And Obama lived in Indonesia (the largest Muslim country in the world) for a bit but he isn't a Muslim, as Sam already cleared up.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2007, 02:48:54 pm »

We've only had one female PM and every PM has been white here in the UK.

Well your minority population is significantly smaller than ours. Whites make up 72% of the popualtion here and that figure drops further each year. Eventually whites will be less than 50% of the population.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2007, 02:50:07 pm »
Obama isn't a Muslim.

He's not claiming to be one but probably because of things like this people think that he is. It could still hurt him true or not:

Many months ago, readers began asking me whether Barack Obama is Muslim. Since he identifies as a Christian, I said, "no," and responded that he was not raised by his Kenyan father.

But, then, I decided to look further into Obama's background. His full name--as by now you have probably heard--is Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. Hussein is a Muslim name, which comes from the name of Ali's son--Hussein Ibn Ali. And Obama is named after his late Kenyan father, the late Barack Hussein Obama, Sr., apparently a Muslim.

And while Obama may not identify as a Muslim, that's not how the Arab and Muslim Streets see it. In Arab culture and under Islamic law, if your father is a Muslim, so are you. And once a Muslim, always a Muslim. You cannot go back. In Islamic eyes, Obama is certainly a Muslim. He may think he's a Christian, but they do not.

Yes I remember Alan Keyes, I've listened to his radio show. I would probably vote for Colin Powell, I liked him.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2007, 02:52:59 pm »
If this goes back to Obama attending a Muslim school in Indonesia as a child and having the middle name of "Hussein" then I'll have lost all faith in this country.

Luckily, I'd like to think most Americans are smart enough to figure out the difference. :)

And while Obama isn't a Muslim, it's scary that so many people will stigmatize Islam as a religion of violence when in fact the opposite is true.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2007, 03:08:28 pm »
Alright, i see what you're saying pilot.

I could really see Colin Powell winning the republican nomination, if he would have run that is, simply because he's more moderate, and it looks like the conservatives have had there 'time' (if you notice, about every 10 years it switches from republican/conservative to democrat/liberal, back and forth).

And at Brandonazz, according to America: The Book, by 2025, 125% of Americans will be Hispanic.