Author Topic: Readers Block  (Read 6776 times)

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
Readers Block
« on: June 04, 2007, 02:45:08 am »
I seem to have this really weird kind of block at the moment. I read the book Reality Dysfunction in like 5 days flat (mostly just at night time), it's like 1000 pages long (it's something like 1024 I think), yet it's taken me about 4 or 5 months to read the hobbit, the fellowship of the ring, and half way through The Two Towers...anyone else had this. It's not like I'm not interested in the books, I love 'em...it's just...sorta odd :-\

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: Readers Block
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:46:41 am »
I can't seem to read at all lately, it makes me sleepy. It's annoying because I can't seem read but a few pages and I get tired.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:10:35 am »
I'm not surprised about Fellowship and Towers, those things are a bit of a drag to read.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 07:30:36 am »
A bit like Lovecraft in that respect. Classics to read, and absolutely brilliant when you're done or coming back to them, but not particularly fun to actually slog through the first time.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:48:16 pm »
Oh...that explains it then :D, and yeah, It's like that with me too LadyM, I read like 2 pages and I'm yawning and can't keep my eyes open, ahh well.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 06:14:29 am »
I am only like, two chapters from completing Dune (the first three books) but I haven't been able to get myself to read it for the last, four or six months. I have read entire series of books since but I just can't myself to read Dune to the end.

Once I am done with The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy and the four other books I just bought, I might try to finish it though. Or I may just start over.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline DMB

• Venture Conqueror
  • Braaiiiiinnnsss and cake!
    • View Profile
    • BobtheZombie's Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 05:25:33 pm »
Ah, Hitchhiker's a great book, but I couldn't get into the sequels after it.
If you guys have a real problem with reader's block, I know it's gonna sound silly, but read with someone and it'll help you get more into it. Helped me a lot when I read with my dad, and kept me into the books because we could talk about it as we read. ;)         
Save Ferris. Save the World.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."Bob's Blog

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 07:50:50 am »
I have a friend who loves the Hitch Hiker Guide to Galaxy books as much as I do and we talk a lot about the books.

I have another friend who I introduced to Warhammer 40k. We regularly discus the Horus Heresy and Ciaphas Cain books, if that means anything to any of you.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 03:28:04 am »
I have another friend who I introduced to Warhammer 40k. We regularly discus the Horus Heresy and Ciaphas Cain books, if that means anything to any of you.

Hey, thanks for reminding me. I've only read the first of the Horus Heresy books, and I wanna get the next ones. When is the last Gaunt's Ghosts gonna be out?

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 06:27:46 am »
I didn't like the end of HGTTG, mainly because the main characters lost  :-\
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 08:07:10 am »

Hey, thanks for reminding me. I've only read the first of the Horus Heresy books, and I wanna get the next ones. When is the last Gaunt's Ghosts gonna be out?

I really like Dan Abnett but the next couple of Horus Heresy books are really great. Dan is returning to make the seventh though, which is awesome beyond every thing else.

I haven't read any of the Gaunt's Ghosts yet, I wanted to but I will probably have to wait until I am done with all the other books I reading.

I will post some more about the Horus series later.

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 08:09:37 am »
Let me see what I have...

I have a:
Spanish phrasebook

Joint smoking rules
<.<
>.>

science by visual factfinder

English Spanish
Spanish English
dictonary

and the boys book.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 08:13:49 am by blitzonator »

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 11:01:38 am »
Horus Rising is awesome. It is Dan Abnett at it's best. The characters are interesting they develop and deal with the situations that arise the best way they can and they don't do anything out of character. The story asks a lot of philosophical questions that I feel the others books are missing. The story itself really shows what Horus must have gone through before he was corrupted and why he may have accepted the dark powers the way he did.

False Gods is also a very good book, unforunately the later authors of the Horus seieries haven't been able to match the same level of character development that Horus Rising did, with the exception of the Flight of the Eisenstein but we will get to that. It isn't to much of a spoiler to say that it is in this book that Horus corruption begins, since it says so already af the front page. The story has a lot of good action, more then Horus Rising I reckon and it is good. A lot of groundbreaking things happen in the book and it is an essential read (all the books are though).

Galaxy in Flames is also good, it feels a lot like False Gods and indeed the characters aren't fleshed out more then they were in False Gods. The book is however full of action and this book is full of surprises and events that change the entire series.

And then we come to my second favorite Horus Heresy book, the Flight of the Eisenstein. Many of the big events that have happened in Galaxy in Flames has sharped this book and it doesn't focus on the same people as it did the first three. You have to have read the entire series to understand this, unless you want me to spoil it for you.
Anyway, the book focuses on a new main character and, at first, he feels a lot like Loken, but a lot of things happen in a short while to this person and he develops a lot in the story. The book is full of action and a lot of groundbreaking events happen.

Overall the Horus Heresy is a great series so far, and you would do wise in getting them, if nothing else then to discus them with me.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 10:32:22 pm »
Overall the Horus Heresy is a great series so far, and you would do wise in getting them, if nothing else then to discus them with me.

I will in a couple of weeks, when Im on school holidays.

And you really need to read Gaunt's Ghosts! they are possitively fantastic books. in one of the later ones, I nearly cried when he killed off one of the characters. the Eisenhower trilogy is also really good.

All in all, Abnett is my favorite author ever!

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 02:26:06 am »
Abnett is awesome, Eisenhorn is one of the best book trilogies I have ever read.

I really want to start with the Gaunt's Ghosts, but unfortunately I have a lot of other books that need reading before I embark on a 9 book long series. Or however many there are now.

Abnett is awesome though.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 03:12:41 am »
the Eisenhower trilogy

Eisenhorn is one of the best book trilogies I have ever read.

Woops.  ;D

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 04:53:29 am »
Heh I didn't even notice that.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 12:28:28 am »
One was commander of all the allied forces during Overlord, and later a US president; the other is a radical inquisitor from the 41st millenium.  :D

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 02:19:58 pm »
Virtually no difference.