Author Topic: Forza 2  (Read 3016 times)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Forza 2
« on: June 02, 2007, 08:21:17 am »
So I got Forza 2 and the Racing Wheel (more on the wheel later), and I have to say I love the game. I'ts a solid racer, pretty graphics. The A.I. is good it's dosen't feel like they're just following a thin line, and there dosen't appear to be any rubber-banding.I have to admet that they can be mean at times, sometimes they'll hit you from behind and make you spin out. I try to take some out with me. Speaking of crashing it can mess up your car bad, where you can bearly get past 40 mph. Also parts that fall off your car stay on the track for the rest of the race. So you'll be driving along and see you're bumber and go "aww I rember that crash." The custom paint shop is fun as well. the More artsy people could really do some neat stuff with it. There are some good tube vids out there. Mine aren't as great, but I'll try to post some picks when I get my internet at home going again. And because Idon't have Internet i have yet to try the online but I'm dying to get out there.

So as I said earlier I got the wheel, and I love that too. At $120 (US) it's a hard sell but I managed to get mine for about $30 (long story...well not really but I don't want to go into it here.) I got it right after the demo of forza came out and I had instant buyers remorse. It was awkward, it didn't seem like I had better control compaired to the controller. I didn't touch it for two weeks  untill the game came out, but I played it again and it was great. I'm not sure if it was just starting with slower cars, or going with the learning cure with the game, or they tweaked the settings sense the demo, but whatever it was it works great now. Just having the break and gas peddles is enough for me, but the forse feedback, rumble, wireless, and the wheel itself work so wonderfully together. My only gripe with the wheel, be it minor, is with a,b,x,y buttons. It can be hard to hit the right one when in an intense race. Trying to play games like Burnout, where you have a button for boost and one for the e-brake, become a lot harder. It would have been nice if the had just the x and y buttons of the left side and the a and b button on the right to make the buttons easier to navagate.

Anyone else pick this one up?

I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Forza 2
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 11:20:38 am »
Well...I think we can all tell that you like the game. :D

I played the demo. It was fun, but I already have PGR3, and I prefer that style of racing more. However, the customization in Forza does look pretty cool.

But I did play the DiRT demo...now that game is amazing!

Offline The Dead Herring

• Dragster Diehard
  • Mmmmm grunge...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »
Yeah, for me its a very hard decision....I'm going to get my laptop pretty soon, and I doubt I will have enough cash left to buy both Forza 2 DiRT.

Forza 2:

For me the biggest selling point for Forza is the tuning, bodywork and paint customization. It almost seems like an RPG, with the car being the character, the money being experience points, and the attributes for the car....well, the attributes!

DiRT:

The best thing about DiRT seems to be the production values, which is initially evident in the stunningly slick menu system. The sound design is also absolutely incredible. You can hear every plant, twig, and stone. Crush, snap, and scratch into your car as you swoosh through the immaculately detailed environment.

A crash into a tyre wall will actually deform it, sending physics controlled tyres all over the track. The same applies to stones and debris that lies at the road side.

I had a bit of a shock when I first played the demo after Forza 2, the handling feels so incredibly forgiving in comparison. But after a while I came to love it. The bumper to bumper racing is fun, but I much preferred the point to point rally racing. Despite the lack of any other vehicles, you feel anything bot lonely. Due to the level of detail, the track feels like your opponent, the only thing separating you from victory.

Sorry that sounded a little like a sales pitch. But really I love both games. I've decided that I will get DiRT first, play through that, and then get Forza later when it has dropped in price.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 06:22:35 am »
...sometimes they'll hit you from behind and make you spin out. I try to take some out with me...

And you know why they do that to you?

You did it to them first.

The AI learns from you, and will pick up stuff from you. I heard about this one guy who accidentally braked too early and too hard for a turn,
the result was the computer driver behind him had to slam on his brakes to get out of the way.

Also called a brake check.
Now they do it to him all the time to him if he gets too close.

Cool huh?

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 04:24:28 pm »
I had a bit of a shock when I first played the demo after Forza 2, the handling feels so incredibly forgiving in comparison.

i don't know about that I've spun out plenty of times, myself. I've heard the dirt demo is good, i wanna try it out, but I still am without internets.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 07:05:06 am »
NECROBUMP!

I got a 360 a couple of days ago, and I think I'd like a racing game. A mate has PGR4 which he is willing to lend me, but I have a feeling I'll like this also. Which is better? I like the realism of Forza 2, but I fear I'll need to get a wheel. Do I necessarily need one for this?

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 05:52:14 pm »
Well, if realism is your thing, then you might like Forza, but frankly, I find everything way to fiddley.  You don't feel like you're going that fast, you make the slightest mistake on a turn and you're done for the race.  The car customization is pretty nice, but frankly, I'm not that interested in adjusting my tire pressure and suspension tension.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 01:10:14 am »
Forza is much more realistic and you don't need a wheel. Personally I hate PGR games because they're neither arcady enough or simmy enough thye just sit there in this weird middle ground. But that's just me.

If you like arcadey racers you should get Burnout Paradise, a year later and they're still bringing updates to it.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 08:37:03 am »
I like Forza 2 more.

I bought my dad a wheel for Christmas, and while fun, it is not necessary.
In fact, I got so used to the controller, I prefer it over the wheel.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 12:55:33 am »
Well, I picked it up as a pre owned game from EB for 15 bucks. It is probably the hardest racing game I've played, but in a good way, It took me a few goes at the career before I finally settled on the Mini as my starting car, which I love. I reckon a wheel would be better, but whatever, the controller works.