Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 33926 times)

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 12:15:02 pm »
I used to play, before I realised I was paying the better part of £5 for something which probably cost less than 20p to make. My deck was a blue/white dispel fast attack deck with a twist, the twist was I had allot of spells that raised the cost of my opponents speels and creatures, I also had a static orb and kismet combo that would usually win me the game.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 02:26:33 pm »
I took all of my litte brother's good cards once and made this crazy rainbow deck that had about 200 cards in total in it. I won every game I played with it, too. It was probably dumb luck but then again most card games are anyhow.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 03:42:26 pm »
One thing I like about magic is that there are tournaments where you can only use cards from the recent sets, so you don't have people with all the old crazy overpowered cards.

I have a red and blue deck that is all about low mana cost cards (90% are less than 3-4) and creatures that benefit from me playing spells.

I have a way to deal 20 damage at once on the 5th turn using nothing but commons. Only need 4 mana total and 4 cards.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 03:57:52 pm »
I play MTG. The old PC game with the same name. (Sometimes called Shandalar after the world it takes place.)

It is pretty good and very faitfull for it time (New rules in the modern MTG that is of couse not implemented in a game that was first releast.)

The real stuff i do not have money to play.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 06:10:34 pm »
Anyone else play or played? Any advice for a newbie?

Well, though I hesitate to admit my true nerdiness, I was quite the magic buff back in the day. I can offer you a few pieces of advice if you're interested.

Building a deck: Did you say you're building a blue/red deck? I wasn't quite sure. In any case, pick a colour and stick with it. It's nice to have a deck full of all the best cards from all the colours but in a game you're rarely going to see more than 60 of them anyway and in many tournaments the deck is only allowed to be that big. So keep it small and keep it simple. The benefits of just choosing one colour are as follows:
If you're holding the most awesome green card in the world in your hand and so far the only land you've got infront of you is mountain then it's a useless card.
Coloured cards can often effect all players with a certain colour, if you also have that colour then you'll hurt yourself
There are often bonuses given to players with a one coloured deck such as the black deck having rats that can call out all the other rats in your deck, if you dont have other rats it's a useless card.

However, there is for certain colours an advantage in having two colours - one to support the other. This is most evident in black and white decks. Black decks will kill; it will kill you and everyone else around you. White decks give you life and protective shields, so if you have a powerful black spell it's nice to have a few life giving spells to support it or a shield to protect you. Green decks have oodles of creature cards and relatively few spells so it's better to support it with black, white who both have reasonably spell-oriented cards. Red Decks and Blue decks are usually all rounders and would make good first decks for a beginner.

Constructing the deck is where you win or lose and there's plenty of tournaments where each player is handed a brand new starter deck and a couple of booster packs and has to build a new 60 card deck to play with out of them. You need to keep enough land in there to ensure you have enough to cast with but if you put too much in you're going to pick up land every turn and never get any cards you can use. Try to avoid filling your deck with creature cards as spells often fly over the head of all of them anyway and also try to avoid spells or creatures that are only effective if a certain other card is in play because I guarantee you wont get it when you need it.

Strategy when actually playing the game depends on the player and I'm sure you're smart enough to work it out on your own but even a great strategy wont be available every game when you may not get the cards you need. Keep a few counter spells in your deck for those nasty spells that you want to avoid.

The best piece of advice I can give you is keep an eye out for rare cards (there are sites that will tell you what's rare) when you find one, go to a store that sells magic, the owner will be a collecter and he will want that card, it is better to go to a tournament with it though because there'll be lots of collectors there and they'll give you hundreds of common but useful cards for one really rare but probably useless card. The card I traded for over $200 worth of cards was a 2/2 creature valued at $60.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 06:25:01 pm »
Well sounds like its a case of do you want to battle your cards you just collect everything.

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 07:20:44 pm »
I've played Magic or atleast watched for about since 4th grade when I was nine or eight. Right now I have a poorly built Red-Blue-Green deck I call Grulzit (Starter decks Grull and Izmit or something mixed)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 07:35:47 pm »
Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful.

I think my original intention was to build a blue/white deck, but the blue/red looked more appealing at the time. We'll see where it goes.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 07:58:24 pm »
Anyone else play or played? Any advice for a newbie?

Well, though I hesitate to admit my true nerdiness, I was quite the magic buff back in the day. I can offer you a few pieces of advice if you're interested.

Building a deck: Did you say you're building a blue/red deck? I wasn't quite sure. In any case, pick a colour and stick with it. It's nice to have a deck full of all the best cards from all the colours but in a game you're rarely going to see more than 60 of them anyway and in many tournaments the deck is only allowed to be that big. So keep it small and keep it simple. The benefits of just choosing one colour are as follows:
If you're holding the most awesome green card in the world in your hand and so far the only land you've got infront of you is mountain then it's a useless card.
Coloured cards can often effect all players with a certain colour, if you also have that colour then you'll hurt yourself
There are often bonuses given to players with a one coloured deck such as the black deck having rats that can call out all the other rats in your deck, if you dont have other rats it's a useless card.

However, there is for certain colours an advantage in having two colours - one to support the other. This is most evident in black and white decks. Black decks will kill; it will kill you and everyone else around you. White decks give you life and protective shields, so if you have a powerful black spell it's nice to have a few life giving spells to support it or a shield to protect you. Green decks have oodles of creature cards and relatively few spells so it's better to support it with black, white who both have reasonably spell-oriented cards. Red Decks and Blue decks are usually all rounders and would make good first decks for a beginner.

Constructing the deck is where you win or lose and there's plenty of tournaments where each player is handed a brand new starter deck and a couple of booster packs and has to build a new 60 card deck to play with out of them. You need to keep enough land in there to ensure you have enough to cast with but if you put too much in you're going to pick up land every turn and never get any cards you can use. Try to avoid filling your deck with creature cards as spells often fly over the head of all of them anyway and also try to avoid spells or creatures that are only effective if a certain other card is in play because I guarantee you wont get it when you need it.

Strategy when actually playing the game depends on the player and I'm sure you're smart enough to work it out on your own but even a great strategy wont be available every game when you may not get the cards you need. Keep a few counter spells in your deck for those nasty spells that you want to avoid.

The best piece of advice I can give you is keep an eye out for rare cards (there are sites that will tell you what's rare) when you find one, go to a store that sells magic, the owner will be a collecter and he will want that card, it is better to go to a tournament with it though because there'll be lots of collectors there and they'll give you hundreds of common but useful cards for one really rare but probably useless card. The card I traded for over $200 worth of cards was a 2/2 creature valued at $60.

Nowadays building at least a 2-color deck is the way to go. There are soooo many powerful cards that REQUIRE 2 colors that if you don't have 2 colors you are pretty gimp. In my opinion the best deck is the one that has the most synergies between cards, and with 2 colors that more than doubles the amount of spells at your disposal, to create uber combos and etc.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 11:47:56 pm »
I try to go for syngergetic effects to when i build my decks. Of couse i do not have a lot of cards in the old gam but it still has it charms.

My favort Deck righth now (And have bin for a wile) is a black deck that uses Netling Imps, Assassins, Sorcercs, Sengir Vampires and some other tricks. Most cards can be used to complement each other and i win most random games on the hardest setting. (The computer almost always play a perfect game. It is really up the the card you have on you hand if you are going to win so deckbuilding is Alpa and Omega and  this level.) But the main reson my i play the deck is becuse it is fun to play with. Having +10/+10 Sengir Vampires in a game rocks! :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 11:54:18 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2007, 04:13:41 pm »
Is anyone else planning to catch the Future Sight prerelease? I decided it'd be fun to go. £15 for a day's play, prerelease cards and a deck on top of that isn't bad.

EDIT: I've managed to assemble two reasonably good decks - one is G/W/u Thallids, with G/W fungi, a little lifegain and blue splash for a paradox haze/clockspinning saproling accelerator. The other is Mono Red Burn/Storm, which unfortunately isn't particularly fast (though if it can go off with a hardcast Akroma or a massive Ignite Memories/Empty the Warrens storm it's game over). I'm wondering where to go from here.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 04:19:14 pm by Daxx »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2007, 04:31:32 pm »
EDIT: I've managed to assemble two reasonably good decks - one is G/W/u Thallids, with G/W fungi, a little lifegain and blue splash for a paradox haze/clockspinning saproling accelerator. The other is Mono Red Burn/Storm, which unfortunately isn't particularly fast (though if it can go off with a hardcast Akroma or a massive Ignite Memories/Empty the Warrens storm it's game over). I'm wondering where to go from here.

Wow. Remind me never to start reading about MTG strategies... its all incomprehensible gibberish!!!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2007, 04:35:22 pm »
Definitely go Storm for your red deck. The Future Sight spoilers that I've seen have some crazy Storm enablers: A guy that, for a single mana, returns to your hand and refunds his manacost so you can play him again and spells that you only have to pay for next turn. Which are both just excellent at building a Storm count.

There's also a creature that gets a +1/+1 counter for each spell you've played previously, but I reckon he's not quite as good as Empty the Warrens.

Edit: Yes, I do play Magic. I only really play casually, but I like reading the official forums to see what's going on.

Edited again: I can't really help you on prerelease strategies, though. I've never been to a draft event myself.

Edit: The cards I was referring to are Grinning Ignus and the cycle of Pacts.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 08:50:33 am by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2007, 05:21:04 am »
Is anyone else planning to catch the Future Sight prerelease? I decided it'd be fun to go. £15 for a day's play, prerelease cards and a deck on top of that isn't bad.

Ow my head.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2007, 11:46:04 pm »
Wow. Remind me never to start reading about MTG strategies... its all incomprehensible gibberish!!!

Gah i second that.

Strange though i have and still do play magic the gathering battlemage on the ps1. I don't think its the same as the TCG though but if you can get past the lame graphics its fun as hell