Author Topic: a possible gap in the gaming market?  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
a possible gap in the gaming market?
« on: May 30, 2007, 08:12:23 am »
after looking for a while i have realised that no-one has ever realeased a good political simulator, they have always been either too war orientaated or too plain and boring looking.

does anyone know of a game where you just pick a (reasonably) country and play is it through peace and war, make alliances and all those other things?

Never mind your own business.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
Re: a possible gap in the gaming market?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:46:33 am »
The total war series, although the title may suggest  otherwise, but it does require you to conquer, other than that i'd say SC4 is close.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:15:47 am »
Well theres a game called Democracy, but the entire game revolves around getting your next election as Prime Minister/President, having nothing to do with war, but plenty to do with balancing the budget. It's actually pretty fun.

http://www.democracygame.com/?gclid=CO-K_tOktowCFQNGgQodnHa4JA

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:39:20 am »
after looking for a while i have realised that no-one has ever realeased a good political simulator, they have always been either too war orientaated or too plain and boring looking.

does anyone know of a game where you just pick a (reasonably) country and play is it through peace and war, make alliances and all those other things?

Civilization?
@davidramnero

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:48:54 am »
Superpower has all those things, with the downside that its really fecking boring.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 09:51:06 am »
i love that word, "fecking"

i'll try superpower. back in a mo.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 12:59:58 pm »
i'll try superpower. back in a mo.

Don't. It's gotten about a 3 in every review it's had. The AI is completely random (belgium invades new zealand for absolutely no reason). There's no depth to the game, as everything just happens randomly anyway.

Total War is the only one that I can think of that's pretty decent, but as I'm sure you know, the AI is so incredibly bad. If you're a 50 province supernation, you'll get attacked by your little 2 province ally for no reason other than because the mechanics of the game are trying to cut you down. It's impossible to use the diplomacy for anything worthwhile. And it's very war oriented, so it's out of the running.

I had some fun with The Political Machine, a game about running in the American election, but it's got nothing to do with actually running a country.

Democracy looks like fun, though I have no reason to think so since I've never played it.

Civilization (I'm sorry everyone) was kind of boring to me. I don't know if I'm playing a stupid way or what, but the wars are lackluster (you need to be A LOT stronger if you're on offense) and it seems like you're just advancing tech trees over and over. There's the large tech tree that gives you the technology to know how to build a building on the national level, then there's the small tech tree inside every town that lets you build that building in that particular town. Maybe I'm playing on too easy a difficulty setting or something, but no-one ever goes to war by themselves and they all have good relations with each other. If you go to war with someone, then your international reputation goes to the pooper since everyone else liked them. I want some wars between the AI to make the political climate interesting, not everyone to be happy until I declare war.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 01:07:05 pm by 762 »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 01:45:19 pm »
Europa Universalis 3, which was developed by Paradox Interactive, is precisely what you're searching for. It is grand strategy game in which you are able assume control of a nation beginning in the Middle-Ages or even into the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution. It is an intricate game that allows for you to pursue any goal you wish, whether that is conquering neighbor nations, forming an economic hegemony, or simply guiding a nation through the turbulence of history.

Offline Green Gremlin

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 04:21:16 pm »
Try The Political Machine.  It's actually just an election sim, but I think it's fun.
http://www.politicalmachine.com/

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 04:57:10 pm »
Which version of Civ were you playing, 762? I've been playing all the versions of Civ since the first was released on the Amiga and I've rarely come across games where the AI don't go to war with each other. And war doesn't require overwhelming power if you know what you're doing.

I personally don't believe there is a proper political simulator (Civ's about as close as you can get) because it would be either immensely simplified and boring, or far too technical for the average player who hasn't received a grounding in political science and economics.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 07:00:14 pm »
I'm playing Civ IV patched to 1.62 or whatever. I find that when I go to war, I need to have about twice the strength of my enemy due to fortification bonuses (entrenchment and walls)

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Undistinguished

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • MYSTERY MAN
    • View Profile
    • Undistinguished
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 08:08:44 pm »
Yeah, CIV IV is just fine for me...

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 08:18:28 pm »
I don't know about that, I have no idea why, but every time I play, the computer civs are a little too friendly to each other, even if they live on separate continents and all end up hating me... and I'm usually the one with the worst military but best techs. :-\
Virus Buster.

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 08:38:55 pm »
I'm playing Civ IV patched to 1.62 or whatever. I find that when I go to war, I need to have about twice the strength of my enemy due to fortification bonuses (entrenchment and walls)
That's why bombarding defenses with siege weapons is extremely important in Civ IV.

Offline Undistinguished

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • MYSTERY MAN
    • View Profile
    • Undistinguished
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 08:46:24 pm »
I don't know about that, I have no idea why, but every time I play, the computer civs are a little too friendly to each other, even if they live on separate continents and all end up hating me... and I'm usually the one with the worst military but best techs. :-\

That's strange, I always have them mentioning their worst enemy to me, and it is never me.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 10:04:20 pm »
Civilization III or II.  I personally wasn't a fan of Civ IV.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 03:05:43 am »
so which civ is best for diplomacy? i am not too fussed about the warfare

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 03:25:20 am »
The French under Louis, or the Indians under either leader.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 03:27:11 am »
what?

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 03:59:01 am »
In the Civilization game, you have to choose a people, and a leader. That's what KS meant. I don't know which Civ version he's referring to though, probably IV.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 04:32:13 am »
oh, so is civilisations IV the only game that has warfare and very very good diplomacy?

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 04:40:11 am »
No idea, but you could try ;)
People here seem to think it is. If you don't know, you could download it, try it, and if you like it, buy it.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 05:38:41 am »
i just ordered it from Amazon, at the moment i have quite alot of money so i am going crazy with my credit card :)

its all expendable income anyway so i can piss it away and not worry about the consqeuences.

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 06:15:20 am »

Everyone seems to be ignoring Europa Universalis 3.

:'(

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 07:23:22 am »
That's why bombarding defenses with siege weapons is extremely important in Civ IV.

This is like real life. You can't just storm a castle with a bunch of guys, because they can't walk through walls. Properly fortified defensive positions require more manpower to overwhelm; that's the point of them.

Use siege weapons, reduce their bonuses (and maybe do damage to them too), then attack.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 08:14:48 am »
I seem to recall the old PC game Maelstrom having a lot (toomuch) politics. Note this is a game from the 1999 era, not the one that came out in 2007. I should see if it is on the abandonware sites.
-Lego

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2007, 01:54:05 pm »
i have played Civilisation IV for a few hours and its not looking good,

its to much like a boardgame for my liking.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2007, 06:55:27 pm »
Hearts of Iron 2 was an incredible game if you want to run a country. It is very war oriented though( It takes place from the time rihgt before WW2, 1936, to the time after it, 1950ish. You can take control of virtually any nation that existed during that time and play with them throughout that time. Its pretty realistic, but tedious at times. I would highly suggest playing that game.
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2007, 10:47:56 am »
i'll give that one a try then