Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed  (Read 33352 times)

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2008, 08:29:47 pm »
I just finished the Wii version Saturday (after renting it from Blockbuster Friday).

When I played, the game felt like someone took star wars lightsabre rpgs from the last ten years, put them in a blender, but didn't hold the "blend" button long enough, giving it a chunky, inconsistent feel.

*Potential Spoilers*

For example, the "aboard the Rogue Shadow" feature. It was basically a primitive version of the "aboard the Ebon Hawk" feature of KotOR. It was cool at first, but not being able to converse freely with the crew quickly became annoying.

The Force Powers were reminiscent of the RotS Video game; when object X has a blue aura around it, you grab it and throw it around. They greatly improved this feature however. The freedom with which you could manipulate the objects added lots of fun to the game.

Character customization was similar to the systems used by Jedi Academy. You could choose between a number of costumes your character could wear and could choose your lightsabre’s color and hilt (plus 1 of 8 effect crystals).

The Wii graphics weren’t as good as the other systems’. However, the short load and save times and high performance (let alone the duel mode) quickly made up for this. The graphics actually reminded me of the cutscene graphics from Bounty hunter, but more improved (with the exception that some of the mouth movements were primitive if you compared them with Xbox titles. Most likely done to make the XBOX 360 and PS3 versions look better by comparison).

Which brings me to the cutscenes. Playing the Wii version, it almost felt like they were punishing the player for not buying the Xbox 360 or PS3 version. They actually dummed-down the cutscene graphics from the Xbox 360 quality, making them about the same as the gameplay graphics. The effect of keeping the cutscenes high quality on gameplay would have been miniscule.

The health bar was poorly placed; being at the top rather than at the bottom (which is usually more common). However, it didn’t affect gameplay as much as the poor camera maneuvering did. It lacked the ability to move the camera independently (which could have easily been done by tilting the nun-chuck, like in Marvel Ultimate alliance). If you wanted to look a different direction, you had to point your character that direction and wait for the auto camera centering to kick in. This made certain boss battles extremely difficult; whenever I’d grab an object to throw, I couldn’t change the camera angle to see the boss, forcing me to blindly toss the object in the boss’s general direction, usually causing me to miss.
As for the multiplayer, the only letdown so far is the fact that you can’t play against a computer player; you have to play against another human with a wiimote and nun-chuck. Thus, since I have only one Wiimote and nun-chuck, I haven’t been able to test it yet (a friend with a Wiimote and nun-chuck will be over tomorrow, so I’ll test it then). The selection of characters is nice, but the 10 different versions of the same character is a bit redundant.

The plot was a bit shallow, and too fast paced to relate to or comprehend fully. The characters divulged little, and lacked depth. If the storyline had, for example, KotOR-esque depth, the game would have been much better. The ending cutscene was also poorly constructed and executed, leaving this player unsatisfied. Most of the cutscenes also had a habit of sounding like one of those third person commercials; two characters would talk about something that happened in SW layman’s terms as if they wanted to make sure the player understood the implications of what just happened and its impact on the overall star wars storyline. It would have been better to actually add depth instead (they used a "databank" function to tell everyone's background after you encounter them. This was fine for enemies and non-crew members, but learning about the crew members by talking to the crew would have been better). Also, the apprentice's personality was inconsistent, and his battle taunt were waay too over dramatic. One minute he's complaining about Juno messing with his ship and being generally han solo-ish, the next he's acting like emokin, and others he's acting like luke in either ESB or ANH.

Chad Vader's Performance as Darth Vader would have been perfect if he had better lines (humorously during the first segment, when Vader tells the apprentice to kill all aboard, some of the Chad Vader performance seeps in).

Overall, the game was fun, but the story would have been better with more depth.

I'd give the game an 8, but the plot a 5.

buy or rent?
Rent first. If you think its great, or if its the Wii version and you like the multiplayer, buy it when it drops in price by at least the cost of renting it.
If you don't like it enough to buy it, its short enough to finish in a 2-3 days, so you can finish it before returning it.

Anyway, I think it'll still be fun but seriously, wtf is with the health bars? In the demo that one thing pissed me off. At least give him some armor or some EXCUSE to have a larger life bar, dammit! All it takes is a little common sense...

They basically copy/pasted the force power/health bar/force bar system from the RotS Video game (but made the mistake of putting it at the top of the screen rather than the bottom), and used a death/respawn system similar to Lego Star Wars (you have infinite respawns, but each time you die you lose force power upgrade points).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:15:15 am by Logan Felipe »
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).

Offline Ronin

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2008, 10:09:03 am »
Yeah I REALLY loved the first level. It was incredibly immerisve and kind of cast the light off of Vader from clanky robot man to full fledged bad ass (I hope we can say that here :)) I relly think The Force UInleshed will be, and is, the greatest  sci fi game for the pc this year.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2008, 01:28:58 pm »
It is a fun game...but greatest sci-fi? No....then again i dunno about other science fictiony games that have come out this year...and I didn't even know it was for the PC.

And regarding ass, yeah, ass is allowed here. Of course, you shouldn't be using it in some extremely derogatory context, but..yeah.

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2009, 07:09:59 pm »
i got this game not long ago, its definitely fun!
the things i dont like is that sometimes its a tad monotonous. also when a cut scene comes around it seems, skippy.
I don't mean the animations are. on multiple occasions it pops you into a cut scene, tells you what to do and instead of leaving you off from there, it just pops you at some new and completely different loation. its not a big deal, buts its just one of those things i have noticed, it just seemed to kill the momentum of the situation  :-\

overall, its really good, or at least, in my opinion, but i am stuck on the damned Star Destroyer  >:(
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:12:37 pm by Skyward »
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2009, 08:08:49 pm »
I'm playing through the game right now, I think I'm on the last level.  Great game so far, but that Star Destroyer part was bull****.  It was poorly executed, poorly explained, and frustrating as hell.  They managed to take the cool aspect of bringing a star destroyer down with the force and turn it into my least favorite part of the game thus far. 

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2009, 08:43:12 pm »
agreed.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2010, 07:48:27 pm »
I've had fun with this now that I have a 360 controller to use, but one thing is bugging me more and more.

---Doot doot spoilers below---

The way Starkiller (stupid name) is slowly eeking onto the light side of the force frustrates me. I didn't buy this game to the the good guy. I bought it to be a sith bad*** and kill everyone. At the end of Imperial Felucia after I beat the Felucian girl the lack of a 'Press X to cut her lying head off.' option was very apparent. And I almost couldn't watch as Gumbo (my nickname for the ugly blond chick) went all weepy when she found me talking to Darth Vader and I pretended to make excuses instead of killing her as soon as she became a problem. Grrr I want to be evil! Eeeeevil!

(And blue is the lamest lightsaber color ever.)

At least I got to brutally murder the wookie prisoners if I wasn't busy using them as explosive projectiles.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2010, 06:55:27 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5wCzrk5q2o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5wCzrk5q2o</a>

:)
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2010, 08:52:11 am »
D:
Do not want.

You'll never know why.
<_< ¯\[ ◕O ◕]/¯ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2011, 03:16:10 pm »
I heard that TFU III got cancelled. Please be true?  :-X
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).