Author Topic: Multi-player mode  (Read 4195 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Multi-player mode
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:55:29 am »
I know Will said that multiplayer won't be in the game, because your planet could be destroyed and ruin your whole game experience. I think it would be fun if they implemented an RTS-style multiplayer game in it (in addition to the single player mode), where it's a race to build your UFO, so that you can destroy everyone else's planets, or be the first to get every UFO upgrade, get the most money in a given amount of time... any number of game types. Maybe they would have one where you try to build the best creature and fight other creatures. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: there's also a comic on penny arcade about spore, here it is:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php?date=2005-05-27
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 12:46:24 pm by B-ROD »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-player mode
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 01:25:13 pm »
Don't get your hopes up.

And by the way, we already saw that comic.

Offline drgamer

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 02:29:43 pm »
EDIT: there's also a comic on penny arcade about spore, here it is:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php?date=2005-05-27
If you're going to link to a comic from almost two months ago, at least get the right link:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-05-27&res=l

Big difference!

One is 'fake', the other is not, guess which!

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 02:39:06 pm »
So basically it would be special multiplayer modes where you strip much of the simulation, but you keep all the other gameplay elements?
I don't know. I mean, I think it could be done. Some kind of deathmatch on a randomly generated planet, maybe.

And actually, Will didn't decide against multiplayer because other people could destroy your planets. He never wanted multiplayer, being that the universe slowly shapes itself to what you've become. If your creature is land-based and learned to be very emotional and war-like, then the game will give you many more land-filled worlds, and situations where you get to have wars on these worlds.

Not sure what he'll do. This is one of those things the community is fairly torn about.
I guess we'll just have to wait for word from Will or other Spore developments.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 05:04:01 pm »
It being an MMO would be a bad idea, due to the 'high-levels' killing every new planet they come across. Maybe a small Internet/LAN option for 2-8 friends to get one of their creatures, and use it to battle out in an arena against the other players? This could be expanded upon by giving the creatures weapons and also vehicles (like different game options (no weapons, melee weapons, etc)), in order to expose strengths and weakness's, like one person's creature's ability or dis-ability in a certain field. Ie, having a small synopsis screen at the end like...

Player A - Last creature standing!
Strongest - Ranged
Speed - Very Fast
Weakest - Melee

Player B - Defeated!
Strongest - Melee
Speed - Mediocre
Weakness - Vehicles

Thats just my idea that I just thought of 5 mins ago though
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 07:03:14 pm »
If you're going to link to a comic from almost two months ago, at least get the right link:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php?date=2005-05-27&res=l

Big difference!

I was thinking about doing that, but i wanted to get the news article in there too, in case people wanted to read more about the comic

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 07:13:54 pm »
It could be cool if there were some multiplayer gametypes using all of the time periods for each type.

Cellular level multiplayer could be racing to get some dots the fastest.

Evolution could be battle arena type combat.

Tribal could pit you against other tribes like in Populous. However, unlike single player you would be allowed to have different races for different tribes.

Civ stage would be sort of like a regular RTS' multiplayer.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 10:58:41 pm »
Does anybody remember how Mr. Wright said that hoped to expand the game more broad than deeply?  He also mentioned he wanted to sell parts of the game into their own games.  I wonder if this could evolve into taking stages of Spore and making them their own games in which you could import your creatures from Spore or create in game creatures for those who don't have spore.  I was recently watching some of his interviews "Will TV" on Sim City 2000 he talks about how he envisioned you could take a creation in one game and move it into another.  There are definately alot of ideas and possibilities floating around out there. 
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 10:21:23 am »
Definately, he's tried that idea before with bringing Sims in Sim City and road layouts in The Sims 2 and it seemed to have worked pretty well.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 10:26:37 am »
Also, with simcopter, you could upload your SimCity 2000 cities into the game and fly around in those.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 11:15:41 pm »
Streets of SimCity worked that way too but umm that game bombed.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Zneeezzz

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
SV: Multi-player mode
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 10:34:42 am »
I would like a multiplayer game in spore... but no stupid gun that destroys planets!!! When Will got to another planet they started to shoot at him and then Will destroyed the planet??!! I didnt like that part... It would be mush funner to send more of "your Race" to that planet and start a big galaxy war  ;D ... Dont u think

Or instead of starting a war... you could give them a gift for peace.... and you and that other race could live happy the rest of yout lifes.. untill some evil guy want to take over the world ;) and kill the other race