Author Topic: Blizzard Announces Starcraft II  (Read 74872 times)

Offline Snork

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Do I care?
    • View Profile
Re: Blizzard Announces Starcraft II
« Reply #480 on: April 20, 2009, 02:34:20 pm »
Could a veteran kindly explain what the best thing are in Starcraft?
I ask, because I'm getting the game, but I'm scared it will be too complicated or difficult to control. I've never played a RTS before.
Quote from: Orc Creation Story.
Stop rolling like pigs amongst the faeces and get out of the way of my sunlight, you stupid f***ers.
Jawless women and their fine, fine feet

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 20, 2009, 03:00:50 pm »
I think the story and the balance of the game is the best, and of course playing as the zergs.

Love those moments when you got like 60+ zerglings that you've fully upgraded, and then you just send them into the enemy base. They'll get through everything ^^
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 20, 2009, 03:41:13 pm »
Starcraft's engine is kind of dated now, and it shows. Unit pathing is pretty bad, for example. Units get clumped up and have trouble moving past eachother. Don't let this deter you, though.

I never really played SC as an RTS as much, mostly as a platform for custom maps, but I got fairly decent and normal battles as well.

I think the greatest thing about SC was indeed the balance. This meant that there were no useless units, there were no overpowered units (within reason, and up to debate), and this allowed for very competitive gameplay. The balance wasn't just about making all 3 sides equal in power, but making each one fun to play as well. That's what made Starcraft so great, I think.

RTS's are very easy to start playing (at least, the campaign is), but if you try playing on-line you'll get your but handed to you.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 21, 2009, 01:27:09 pm »
The only game i can remember that really every unit had it use except Star Craft is Generals. (Though some lesser player will most likely not agree with me. But then your wrong :P) Red Alert 2 comes close but some units, especially navy units have absolutely no use in the later part of the game.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 21, 2009, 04:01:11 pm »
Starcrafts perfect balanced is greatly exaggerated.. sort of...whats exaggerated  is that its the only game with the sort of balance. I have played a ton of RTS with balance as good as starcraft, They just aren't as popular.

I really want to hope that i will enjoy starcraft 2 as much as i did the original, But its being built to cater around tournament players and that's never ever a good thing for an RTS in my opinion..

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 21, 2009, 04:09:09 pm »
I really want to hope that i will enjoy starcraft 2 as much as i did the original, But its being built to cater around tournament players and that's never ever a good thing for an RTS in my opinion..

Why?

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 21, 2009, 06:25:14 pm »

Why?

Because if i were to jump on and play starcraft online right now i would have to perform 150 actions per minute blazing around the screen at breakneck speed playing on the fastest setting and playing so fast i don't actually have the time to enjoy my strategy and units winning any battles because i am to busy. That is if i didn't want to die with in 2 minutes.

In my opinion high level RTS gameplay should involve more around your strategy and tactics then hot key memorization and and the speed at which you can click. Mind you don't get offended its only my opinion, And there are RTS games that cater to my style.

Let me give you an example outside of starcraft, A favorite game of mind is battleforge, Its an RTS where you collect cards and summon them to be used RTS style, The game has 4 tiers of of units and buildings ranging from 1 being the most basic and 4 being the most advanced stuff like huge towering monsters, Powerful spells or awesome structures. The game also features buildable walls.

During beta (i was a tester) the high ranking tournament players called for tier 4 to be removed completely because they thought it was useless becuase any good player wouldn't let a game last that long and walls to be removed because they didn't use them. Had those players been the majority of the crowd the devs would have catered to them and i wouldn't enjoy the game half as much.

Now i say this was tournament players because the suggestion at hand was a topic completely dedicated to all players who reached the highest rank attainable, The topic creator disallowed anybody not having that rank from voicing their opinions in the topic.

The thing about starcraft is the majority IS tournament players.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 23, 2009, 08:15:44 am »
Walls are generally handled badly in RTS games. One common problem is that walls are counted by every unit in some games. In such a game they become worthless. Best is if you can make walls very resistance or even immune to some attacks. For example. If you make a medieval type game then walls should pretty much hold out any form of attack except for siege weapons. After all is not like a knight on horseback can do much against a wall with his lance and sword. Against a regular building however he can at least use flames.

Some of you would probably look down on making walls as good as immune to all types of attack except siege. But it works pretty well. That forces the attack to adapt and holes the enemy at bay for a short time. But it does not make them invulnerable. As the attacker gets siege to counter the wall the defender need to get something like cavalierly to counter the siege (which normally force the defender out of his fort to reducing turtling.)

This is also why i am again strong defensive weapons i most games. if the best weapon is a stationary cannon (like in RA2 where the French cannon outclass any unit in range) you get tower crawling. Siege should therefor be relatively resistant to other siege attacks. In a Medieval game is easy to justify by the inaccuracy of siege weapons. It would be good against larger stationary like walls but less useful again rather small though slow moving targets like siege and of course near useless against cavalierly which moves fast and adapt quickly.

I am a bit sad that defenses are not in focus so much in RTS design. I part of it can be attributed to the Pro mentality i think and is true. Mobile defense is often superior to static. But in the real world we see a lot of static defenses. Forts that are worth substantial amount of resources and often very successful. Sometimes even a bit to successful as in the Maginot line which actually did priceless what it was suppose to do. Just that the French did not follow up.

Defenses are there to slow down the enemy not defeat them. And if games are going to use defensive structures then that is how they should work. Good vs raids but worthless against a well coordinated army. In a way any RTS with Defenses that do not stop a "rush" has failed.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 23, 2009, 01:07:23 pm »
Have you seen the latest SC2 battle report? The Terran player used his defensive position to hold off the Zerg long enough to build his own army that went and destroyed the defenseless Zerg base.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2009, 01:13:09 pm »
Battle Report 2? Da, saw it, comrade.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2009, 01:37:56 pm »
*cough* Walking Spinecrawlers + Overlord that can puke out creep = some interesting results.

Dunno if you can make the spinecrawlers "root" on temporary creep though, but you can spawn nydus worms on them :)
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
Re: Blizzard confirms new game to be announced soon.
« Reply #491 on: April 24, 2009, 06:01:54 am »
i heard from a friend (who lies a lot) that its a starcraft mmorpg and you can go to the WoW and vice versa

Does that even make sense? 2 sets of loot, doubling the size of servers, having levels transfer etc... No.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 24, 2009, 07:30:17 am »
Agreed, although it would be pretty awesome.
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Magenti

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 25, 2009, 01:30:05 pm »
Speaking of Starcraft 2.
 While we wait, is there any mod out there that enhances the graphics of the game? Or even lets you change the resolution of the game?

I had a burned copy but figured meh, ill buy the real deal for 15 bucks in the starcraft store.

So graphical enhancement for Starcraft?
I love you Magenti, you are my hero!!
Kenobros confession!
Quote from: Kenobro on October 06, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
I suppose it's funny that you posted after me, because you are also female.  How coincidental.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Blizzard confirms new game to be announced soon.
« Reply #494 on: July 25, 2009, 02:31:09 pm »
i heard from a friend (who lies a lot) that its a starcraft mmorpg and you can go to the WoW and vice versa

Does that even make sense? 2 sets of loot, doubling the size of servers, having levels transfer etc... No.

Man I told froman about that like...an eternity ago and it wasnt starcraft 2 just a starcraft mmo based around WoWs playstyle

and yes froman...I do lie alot  ;D