Author Topic: Just got a PSP for a b-day, this morning - what to do?  (Read 7312 times)

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
Re: Just got a PSP for a b-day, this morning - what to do?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 07:53:31 pm »
If you like movies and music, go nuts with your PSP. If you want great gaming, go with a DS.
Very true.  I've half a season of Seinfeld, two cds worth of music, and some pics all stuffed on one memory card.  Plus, there's room for a UMD game (Like Metal Gear).  Being able to have all these at the same time (and surf the internet) makes the PSP a must bring when leaving the house.

And like DeadHerring said, being able to play FF7 on the PSP via homebrew is amazing awesome freaking great.  (turns out there's not a word for how good this is...)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 07:59:21 pm by danzik »

Offline TwistedBishop

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 12:36:48 am »
Despite my general lack of respect for Sony's attitude of late, I'd have to say the PSP gets an undeservedly bad rap.  It has several key problems -- the lack of a second analog nub is the true crime, imo -- but it can still provide a very solid gaming experience.  I think that, like a lot of things, the PSP had a bad launch and never really recovered in terms of public perception.

Btw, this is all coming from someone who had bought a PSP last year, returned it a month later out of disappointment, and yet has just purchased a new one earlier this month.  That's how much I feel the game library has turned around with current releases and this year's big upcoming games.

Anyway, I've listed the big games for each system below.  Hopefully choosing the system with more games you want to play will be easy.  The purpose of my posting all this isn't exactly to convert you to the PSP or the DS, but to help dispell some myths.  The truth is, both systems are fine.  Let the games be your guide.

PSP
GTA: Vice City Stories
GTA: Liberty City Stories
Ratchet & Clank:  Size Matters
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Daxter
Lumines
Hot Shots Golf
Field Commander
Burnout Legends
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony
Killzone Liberation
Mega Man Powered Up
Syphon Filter
Tekken Dark Ressurection
Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2
Valkyrie Profile:  Lenneth
(coming this year)
God of War: Chains of Olympus 
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles  (Rondo of Blood & Symphony of the Night)
Final Fanasty: Anniversary Edition
Silent Hill Origins

DS
Mario Kart DS
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
New Super Mario Bros.
Metroid Prime Hunters
Trauma Center
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series (two released so far, third coming this year)
Advance Wars DS
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Brain Age
Nintendogs
Meteos
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Elite Beat Agents
Lunar Knights
Hotel Dusk
Pokemon
Final Fantasy III
(coming this year)
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hour Glass

*There could be some DS titles I've missed here, as I've been paying less attention to it since selling mine off a couple months back.  If I've done a good game wrong, someone please correct me.  Also, there is obviously the extensive GBA back catalog here to consider.  The PSP also has a downloadable catalog of PS1 games, unfortunately that requires the PS3 currently.

Note on battery life:  This will depend heavily on what you're playing, but in my experience you'll get 5 hours of battery life playing a game like Vice City Stories or Ratchet & Clank.  (I've yet to get less on a game.  Movies played from UMD reportedly drain the battery much faster, but I have no frame of reference.)  That should make using the system for commutes or lunch breaks perfect.  If you want it for a long trip, not so much.  There is also the rather shortsighted habit of game developers not letting you save progress at any time.  However the PSP does have a sleep function you can toggle on and off instantly, pausing progress at any point and allowing you to pick up where you left off later.  Naturally this mode consumes only a tiny amount of battery power.

Note on loading times:  They do exist on the PSP, and they can be a real headache sometimes, but it varies wildly between games.  Vice City made me wait through many a loading screen for the cutscenes, yet driving around was just fine.  Ratchet & Clank, Daxter, and Metal Gear Portable Ops are nearly seamless.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 10:59:28 pm by TwistedBishop »

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 09:36:26 am »
If I had to choose between bying either a DS or PSP, then the DS wins every time. As it happens I have two DS consoles and a PSP (being a grown up with a paid job is great).

So, someone has given you a PSP?

Great!

It's a super little machine, despite the bad press it gets, it's a multi media device second to none, and the homebrew scene makes it worth the price, all on its own.
Enjoy it, there's lots of stuff you can do with it.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 04:03:29 pm »
Sell it.
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 10:15:59 pm »

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 02:53:53 am »
People keep listing homebrew as a good reason for buying. I am not anti homebrew but I find that there are many other reasons to buy a PSP besides homebrew.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Djfinny

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 07:17:00 am »
Update - I bought my new Onyx DS with a nice accessory pack which included and cloth case, a cleaning kit, foam game holder/protector, extra full-sized pen/pointer.  I picked up Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Trauma Center and FF III. 

Quote from: Cruithne
(being a grown up with a paid job is great).
Me too so I've got some options.

So, someone has given you a PSP?
  Birthday gift from the wife.

And after that list of PSP titles that TwistedBishop supplied me - I'm seriously considering to keep both the DS AND the PSP.  Thank you all for your help!

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 03:18:41 pm »
Was she okay with you exchanging it? I hope it didn't hurt her feelings.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 04:04:28 pm »
Hope you've got a nice couch. ;)

Offline TwistedBishop

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 11:26:43 pm »

Sounds like he hasn't returned the PSP yet, despite buying a DS.

Djfinny:  I'm glad I could help some.  My personal opinion is, if I could afford to own every platform, I would.  It's nice to be able to cherrypick the best titles.  And even though feelings may run strong for everyone's particular favorite brand, the truth is they're all fine machines.

Offline Djfinny

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 06:55:39 am »
Quote from: LadyM

Yes, she was fine with me returning it.  Typically, before she buys me a gift she'll  have a decent idea of what I want as I might mention something in passing and she'll remember it.  This time she had no idea.  I'm betting she went to Gamestop or Target and had to flip a coin - PSP or DS?  She did mention that she noticed the price drop on the PSP and figured it was the "better" system and came to the decision based on price. Another factor was that several of our  nieces and nephews own the DS, she may have thought the PSP would have less "kiddie" games.   Overall, I'm a very lucky guy, my wife is great and she wants to make sure I get something that I'm going to enjoy and use. 

Offline otaku62

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 08:13:33 am »
I'd definitely keep both. Both are great systems- each with it's own advantages.
BTW: a great action puzzle game for the PSP nobody has mentioned yet is EXIT!