Author Topic: Just got a PSP for a b-day, this morning - what to do?  (Read 7304 times)

Offline Djfinny

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Just got a PSP for a b-day, this morning - what to do?
« on: April 26, 2007, 08:57:57 am »
Woke up this morning and received some birthday gift(s).  I was quite shocked to find. 

- A new PSP
- 12 piece kit with carrying case, car adapter, game holders, USB cables etc
- 3 games - GTA: VCS, the new Killzone, and some "Gangs of London" game

I haven't bothered to open anything, yet.

I've read the boards and threads ie: "The PSP is Dead." Considering the thread was last updated on December, 2006 - I pose the question, has the PSP made ANY headway since then?  Have there been some killer titles released recently that would justify me keeping this handheld?  Understand the last handheld I owned was a GBA.  I'm more of a PC/console guy but I could use a handheld on my way to work since I take the commuter rail every morning.

Can someone help we with this apparent easy question - do I keep the PSP or return it for a DS with some games?  Please include a list of the best games for either the PSP or DS.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Just got a PSP for a b-day, this morning - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:08:42 am »
Personally I'd trade it in but the PSP does have it's merits... I'm no expert on it though but I like to be optimistic.

So I'll just stick with your questions about the DS.

If you got the DS you would want to get Advance Wars DS, New Super Mario Bros., Final Fantasy III, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing Wild World.

Any one of those will give you hours and hours of fun.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:14:07 am »
I would also get the DS, besides the titles Pat listed, I would get Brain Age. It's pretty fun and it doesn't take too much time every day. It includes Sudoku puzzles.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:18:57 am »
Oh yeah! Brain Age is a blast and a half!

The Sodoku puzzles are a great way to pass the time.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 09:22:00 am »
I agree, I haven't looked at my PSP in months, really if you want a game console, the DS is your best bet, but if you want to watch films (it has quite a nice screen, I'll give it that) and listen to music on something that's bigger than most MP3 players but aren't bothered too much about games then try the PSP.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Djfinny

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:38:33 am »
I haven't looked at my PSP in months, really if you want a game console, the DS is your best bet, but if you want to watch films (it has quite a nice screen, I'll give it that)

I wouldn't be interested in any UMD formatted movies, I've got a laptop and a ipod anyway.  This decision is still pretty tough, the PSP does look amazing, I'm just concerned about lack of titles.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 10:43:31 am »
The DS is better!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 10:57:05 am »
destroy the 'gangs of london' game. its evil!!!! :o

no seriously, its crap.
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 11:56:45 am »
I've only played Burnout on the PSP, and the feeling was great!
@davidramnero

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 08:12:05 pm »
You will find this is a forum that leans heavy to the DS I guess with good reason the DS made games that are fun to play and the PSP well as we like to say it gave us RIIIIDGE RACER!!!! if you want to stick with it go nuts

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 11:21:34 pm »
What Cobra said. This forum has a distinct lean away from Sony products.

I'll tell you why I would never own a PSP. I would never own a console of any type that would play the same games as something else I already own. The games I play on my PC are completely different than what I play on my DS, and both are different from what I play on my Wii.

Maybe you'd be fine with playing the same games, just one in a portable form, but from what I've heard the PSP isn't so portable because of the short battery life.

It's a pretty obvious choice for me, but if what I just said doesn't really apply to you, then find other criteria to compare them by.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 06:18:30 am »
Luminous was a great game. I kept my PSP for a long time just playing that.

But yeah, I traded it in.

The way I see it, portable games should be that, portable. You said you have GTA:VC story's. Well, you can't save any time you want, thats not how the GTA games work.

Basically, they tried to make it a mini-PS2, but it doesn't work for several reasons (wont get into that)

I'm not a DS fanboy, I barely touch the thing  ;D (Pat can I have my rim shot? .... No? darn)

ANYWAY, I never play my DS other then Animal crossing from time to time.

Bottom line: Do what you want to do, and don't let the internet sway you one way or the other

Offline The Dead Herring

• Dragster Diehard
  • Mmmmm grunge...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 07:52:07 am »
I would check out the pirate homebrew scene, the firmware has been hacked countless number of times, and the most exciting thing for me is the PS1 emulator, which has an extremely good performance and success rate (about 95% of roms work with no trouble at all). So the first thing I would do is try to get that working.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 09:06:25 am »
Trade it in if you really want a DS and don't want a PSP. Elsewise sell Gangs of London (it's bad) and get Ace Combat: Skies of Deception, Lumines, Tekken: Dark Resurrection and Syphon Filter Dark Mirror . You should also consider Daxter, Rachet and Clank: Size Matters and either of the Socom games. At the same time there are some great racing games on the PSP like Burnout Legends and Wipeout Pure (though I would wait for Wipeout Pulse as it has online and other new features).
Sid Meiers Pirates! is a great game no matter what platform, and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops should be interesting if you have enjoyed any of the other games. The games you have (Killzone and GTA) are good to and once Killzone gets online it will be even better.
Upcoming games that you should probably look after include Jean D'arc, Silent Hill: Origins (if you enjoy that series), Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (if you have enjoyed any of the games), Disgsea PSP, Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles (IT'S CASTLEVANIA DUDE).

You may also want a larger Memory Stick if you are interested in videos and music.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

gec05

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 12:29:46 pm »
If you like movies and music, go nuts with your PSP. If you want great gaming, go with a DS.