Author Topic: Sagan 4  (Read 52191 times)

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
Re: Sagan 4
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2010, 04:22:09 pm »
Anything I should know before I join?
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2010, 04:56:28 pm »
Anything I should know before I join?

Just read this thread. If you have any questions let us know.

How to Join the Sagan 4 Team
http://sagan4.com/forum/index.php?topic=19.0

Offline MNIDJM

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mission: Regenesis
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2011, 05:52:51 pm »
Hey is any other Saganites getting a "Server not Found" message?

Obviously UFO, you haven't snuck into Micheal Bay's house and stolen his version of Citizen Kane. Giant radioactive exploding ninjas are the least silliest parts.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2011, 06:22:01 pm »
LadyM says ...

It's the hosting company server that is having problems. It's been crashing all week and they are doing a transfer soon of everything to "the cloud", whatever that is. That also means I'll have to change things on the domain site. Fun fun!

Anyway, it's a server issue not a Sagan issue. It may be down for a few days.

So please sit tight while they do this. Cause we cannot do anything at the moment about it.

Sagan 4 wiki is still up so if you want to write any general articles or do taxonomy be my guest. Or even make up creatures for when the forum returns you can still look up the species on the ecosystem page (those that were uploaded that is).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 06:24:35 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2011, 03:14:41 pm »
Some news from LadyM

Just to let you know, our server company is a flake. They are going to change us again because they don't like the new cloud server. I'm really tired of this plus now the GS wiki doesn't work. I'm going to be searching and finding us a new hosting company. I'm also going to separate out Sagan and LadyMpire so they are separate. I'll let you know when that happens.

So, if things go out for a bit, that is why. You might give everyone a heads up to possible glitches.

So be prepared.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2011, 05:14:46 pm »
New Genus System!

There have been discussion about what to do about microbes for a very long time with Sagan 4. Some have argued that we should just do away with them and say there is every kind of microbe, while others want to stay with the old ways. One major problem with the old way is that we never seem to get enough microbes and not many people like to evolve them. Also people tend to keep making macro species from the microbes which is a bit unrealistic. On the other side if we do away with them then then its a big slap in the face to those that worked on them and makes things a bit too ambiguous. So I am proposing a compromise with a "Genus System".

The "Genus System" is a step up from our current system, which I will call the "Species System". In the "Species System" you evolve 1 species at a time and ancestors cannot be from the same generation. There are limits to size, habitat, diet, etc. In the new "Genus System" you would  get to evolve a whole group or "Genus" of species. Like the species system you could only evolve 1 "genus group" per generation, but within that group you would have a bunch of individual species.

Since redoing the species page would be both difficult and excessive we will be modifying the species system to fit this. This is how it will work ...

Picture - You image is the same as a species picture would be; limit 750px X 600px in size and a color picture, gen number and has been made from scratch. However rather than a picture of 1 species it must have a picture of at least 3 species examples within one image.

Name - The name will be the common name of the group of species you are making. Thus it will be plural when naming it.

Scientific Name - As you may have guessed all you need for this is the "Genus" name.The species name will be left out. However in your description you can refer to specific species within the genus.

Creator - That would be you

Ancestor - This will be an individual species or another genus group.

Habitat - Unlike species you are not restricted to biome limitations. Also if it lives worldwide you can but things like "Global (Sagan 4)" or "Global (Mason)".

Size - For now this will be the same for all Genus groups, which is "Microscopic". At this stage only microbes can be in the "Genus System", however in the future it may expand to small fast reproducing macro species like our Earth bugs.

- Genus groups can be used to up to 10 cm. This means small flora and fauna can benefit from this rule too.

- Putting "Microscopic" for the size is not going to cut it anymore. You have to list the size. Note that for a genus you can list the size range such as ...

Size: 1 mm to 10 mm Long

Diet - This depends upon the genus. Some Genus groups will all have the same diet while other may have different diets. However you still need to list species or genus groups they eat.

Reproduction - Most likely if its a genus then they will have all the same reproduction. If they don't then they are probably too different and not in the same genus.

Description - This is where most of your info will go. This will be much larger than species descriptions in that you need to tell about an entire genus group and how individual species live within that group. Subsection and additional images can be added here if you wish, but are not required.

------

Additional Notes

- Like species you can split or replace species or even other genus groups. However individual species cannot replace an entire genus (except for disaster).

- I would like us to work on phasing out individual microbes and replaced by genus groups.

- If you have any questions about this or addition ideas let me know.

- This will take effect immediately so we can see if such a system can work. Good luck!  :D

For more info please visit our forum.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:41:46 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline MNIDJM

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mission: Regenesis
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2011, 05:20:06 pm »
Down for the count again?

Obviously UFO, you haven't snuck into Micheal Bay's house and stolen his version of Citizen Kane. Giant radioactive exploding ninjas are the least silliest parts.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2011, 05:39:36 pm »
Yeah. I am not sure what's wrong. LadyM has not e-mailed me back yet. But the blog and wiki are still up. Its apparently just the forum. Hopefully it comes back soon.

gec05

« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2011, 11:37:20 pm »
You may want to pull M away from Minecraft a bit if you want her to get anything done at the moment. >_>

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2011, 01:21:11 am »
LadyM says its from saving servers and that we should wait until "tomorrow" however that was a few days ago. I hope it goes back soon or I will have to find a new forum. What sucks is some species were half uploaded to the wiki so we do not have all the info for them.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2011, 11:23:44 am »
The forum works for me now.
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2011, 02:54:15 pm »
Yep its back now. LadyM says they had some problems when moving the servers that the forums were on.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2011, 03:50:28 am »

Happy 5th Anniversary Sagan 4!  ;D

Today marks the 5th anniversary of the creation of Sagan 4. Many creative people have worked on this project over the last 5 years. We have had people come and go, just like the species of Sagan 4. Many thanks to everyone who has participated in the past and present. May Sagan 4 have many years to come. Happy Anniversary of Sagan 4!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #148 on: September 02, 2012, 09:48:17 pm »

(Click to Enlarge)

Happy 6th Anniversary Sagan 4!

In the image above it shows a picture by each person who has been on the Sagan 4 team.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2013, 01:58:26 am »

Happy 7th Anniversary Sagan 4!

In the image above it shows a different dioramas by Rhodix.