15 (13.6%)
75 minutes
4 (3.6%)
90 minutes
14 (12.7%)
as long as possible
72 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: How long should podcast be?  (Read 18828 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: How long should podcast be?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2006, 05:23:20 pm »
According to our survey, these guys haven't a clue what their talking about.

Quote from: IGJA
Gaming Steve: Unlike many podcasters, Gaming Steve (aka Stephen Glicker) knows what he's talking about when he's talking about playing video games, making games or writing about video games. He's done all three.
However, Gaming Steve falls into the trap that snares many podcasters. He's long-winded.
His most recent podcast was two hours and 14 second long. The perfect podcast length is 26 minutes, which is the average daily one-way commute to work in the United States, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics' Omnibus Household Survey.
Gamers don't want to spend two hours on the iPod; they want to spend that time playing games. If Gaming Steve has so much to talk about, he should break it up into smaller casts that are updated daily.
Article below
http://www.igja.org/article.php?story=20060118214730993

Haha! Thats funny, because Major Nelsons latest podcast happens to be 26 minuets long.

I think you should just make the podcasts as long as they need to to be, Steve. I think its fine the way it is.

Offline n10sity

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2006, 09:43:08 am »
I don't see why anyone would complain about them being too long. As many have probably already stated, you can pause, stop, and come back to the podcast anytime you like. The longer the better in my opinion.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2006, 10:42:52 am »
Well, I think the format is starting to finally fall into place. I basically do news for around 25-30 minutes, and then SporeTalk, the review of the week, and the Retro review each take around 10 minutes each and then Name that Game takes around 5 minutes. So that gets you about an hour-long show.

The rest of the time has mostly been answering viewer questions, which often takes around 40-60 minutes and then the show is over. So, believe it or not, there is a method to the madness! I could answer a lot less questions and make the show much shorter (like some podcasts ... ahem, PC Gamer), but I think people really like the questions, so I keep that section fairly long.

I GUESS I could do a "regular" show one week and then do just a "Q&A" show another week and then you will have two shows which are each around 1 hour in length, but with my schedule I just can't do 2 shows a week -- or even release two shows a week (it's actually takes quite some time to edit and cut the show together). But I think the current format is going well.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Sander Scamper

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2006, 01:38:56 am »
Method to the madness...mmm....gaming madness...Indeed.

An idea, though I certainly would forgive you if you didn't wish to spend the time, is to release a totally factual...well...its a lecture, on gaming issues. Splicing the longer explanations of some of the more important isssues that you touch on occasionally, you could easily create 1 hour long talks on these.

For instance, you could splice or even redo an entire hour long lecture on Why American Games Don't Sell in Japan.mp3 or perhaps The History of Nintendo.mp3...Hell, I'd buy these, as I'm sure many else would... Just an idea =)
The reason I hate/Boycott Sony: "Most people, I think, don't even know what a Rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"

Offline Racingfreak92

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2006, 04:17:26 am »
Unlike Mini.boss i listen to the ENTIRE show sometimes i listen to it twice. I dont pc game and dont care about nintendo or sony but its interesting to learn about the other compaines and whats going on. I really enjoy your show i started listening at epsiode 40 and wliked it so much i actually went back and listened to others to learn more aobout oblivion,spore and other games and stuff

Offline alphager

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2006, 12:58:15 pm »
Have you thought about outsourcing the actual editing to someone else (or even the community) ?

I think there would be enough volunteers to do the editing for you.
I'm not weird, i'm gifted !

Offline bestpersonever

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2006, 12:16:35 pm »
Steve, have you considered setting up chapter breaks in the podcast? I haven't seen many shows do this, but The Ricky Gervais Show used it perfectly. Each chapter had a break you could skip to just by hitting >>|  on the iPod (and each segment had relevant album art that would display). The track progress bar had black vertical lines at the chapter breaks so you can see how it's broken up.

It's extra work, I imagine, but I think that would be a great solution for all types of listeners.

I haven't read much about it, but it might be a Mac only thing, so if you create the podcast on a PC, this might be an option. :-\

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2006, 08:35:47 pm »
Steve, have you considered setting up chapter breaks in the podcast? I haven't seen many shows do this, but The Ricky Gervais Show used it perfectly. Each chapter had a break you could skip to just by hitting >>|  on the iPod (and each segment had relevant album art that would display). The track progress bar had black vertical lines at the chapter breaks so you can see how it's broken up.

It's extra work, I imagine, but I think that would be a great solution for all types of listeners.

I haven't read much about it, but it might be a Mac only thing, so if you create the podcast on a PC, this might be an option. :-\

The problem with setting up those chapters breaks is that you have to make an ACC file instead of a MP3 (which means that you HAVE to use iTunes to listen to the show) and it increases the filesize by quite a huge amount. Also I can't just make two files, one MP3 and one ACC, and upload it to the site as iTunes gets confused and takes them both. I tried this is the past and it's a bit of a nightmare.

Long story short, unless I save all the shows in ACC format and double to triple the size of the audio files there is no other way to really do this...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline cptrootbeer

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2006, 03:54:56 pm »
The only other way I can think of "chapter breaks" is to separate the mp3 file into separate files, like gamingSteve01.mp3, gamingSteve02.mp3, etc.  While I see advantages to this, it was be a pain at other times.