15 (13.6%)
75 minutes
4 (3.6%)
90 minutes
14 (12.7%)
as long as possible
72 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: How long should podcast be?  (Read 18657 times)

Offline Atari Man

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • >[insert catchy phrase here]<
    • View Profile
Re: How long should podcast be?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 10:52:25 pm »
3+ hours would be awsome.  Let the majority speak for it self, or their self. :)

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • web - music - art :: kxmode
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 11:17:16 pm »
3+ hours would be awsome.  Let the majority speak for it self, or their self. :)

3 hours?! Holy crap! Well I wouldn't have the time to create the time markers for a show that long!  :o

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 06:34:21 am »
3 hours? I wouldn't even know what to talk about for that long!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 08:08:38 pm »
well, everytime you say that you could talk about a certain topic for hours (I remember you saying this at least a couple time), you could use that content for an extra long special edition.
Or just full it up with more reviews, etc.

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • web - music - art :: kxmode
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 10:30:25 pm »

Steve, I can't count the number of times you’ve warned us in your casts about this coming holiday season. Basically you alluded that it is going to be rife with gaming goodness. A 3-hour show? No problem! You obviously have savvy insider knowledge and know people working in the industry. You have access to the kind of info we gamers don’t readily have… sharing is caring! That’s worth an addition 20-30 minutes. Between that, news, previews, reviews, X360, and Nintendo I think you'll have more than enough to talk about. PLUS you also said you wanted to interview someone that buys the GameStop OMEGA bundle. That's worth at least 30 minutes.

If you’re worried about your voice or what to talk about for 3-hour show then I have two perfect solutions.

ONE: Since your podcast obviously isn't live you could break up and do parts of your show on different days. For example on day one spend an hour talking gaming news (the listeners that love that news segment will become gleefully giddy). Day two do previews. Day three: reviews. Day Four: inside info (cue Daffy’s evil laughter and rub hands), day five: contests and closing statements. When compiled together with the new music the total show could easily pass the 4-hour marker.

TWO: Or if you don’t want to scare your listeners (esp. the casual ones) you could release each section of your show a couple hours after on that day. Let's say you started on a Monday... Monday would be gaming news, Tuesday: previews, Wednesday: reviews, Thursday: insider info, and Friday: contests and closing statements. There. Done and now you would have the weekend to rest, relax and play games!

See! It's doable Steve. And of course if you actually did release a 4-hour show I'd probably get a heart attack and might attempt seppuku, but I’d be up until the wee hours of the night doing the time markers! ;D

From here until January I think a 3-hour show is possible. Of course it all depends on what you and your wife decides.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:57:08 pm by Toshipaine »

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 06:13:06 pm »
Well we will see. I actually never try to "do" a 90 minute show, it just always ends up that length (strange, eh?). Thanks for your ideas, they are great. But I probably won't break up the show into different segments for different days, I think each show should be it's "own" show. But I might do a few smaller shows over a week rather than just one really large show. I'm still fooling around with the format a little and I'm trying to figure out how to "review" all the upcoming games in the next few months. Already I have like 5 games I can talk about, so I might just make the review section much quicker.

I also should have a lot of Xbox 360 news for the next show because there are some press events I'm going to, so I guess the "crazy holiday season" will start with the next show!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 10:58:49 pm »
I'm not going to be happy until your show is 24/7 and you our loading up on No-Doze to stay awake talking about what ever game you are playing. No more sleep for you.

Seriously though I think you shows are perfect length as they are. You sopund like you could go longer easy constantly saying you are moving on from news you sound like u have plenty more. I don't mind at all either I love news section.

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005, 10:22:38 pm »
Seriously though I think you shows are perfect length as they are. You sopund like you could go longer easy constantly saying you are moving on from news you sound like u have plenty more. I don't mind at all either I love news section.

The news sections do feel like he could go forever. And i wish he would because its interesting. BUT you cant deny his reviews are a bit long winded and repetetive. Id easily trade more news for a quicker review that gets to the point early.

Offline UndeadScottsman

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 06:42:50 pm »
I think the length of the show might bit easier on everyone if you went back to doing a show every week instead of every other week.  Less news to cram into a show and all that. :D

Offline retman

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 07:59:23 am »
i went for 60 minutes becuase u dont want to bore you listeners :-\
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 08:07:13 am by retman »

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 04:49:50 am »
I like it long.  If it came out every day, or every other day, it would have to be shorter, but the way they are currently released, I can listen to a little bit at a time.  (but I usually just listen all at once)

--Steve

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 04:43:06 pm »
I love how long they have been getting, so as long as possible is my vote.
This new show was so long he had to cut it. But that's fine, we'll get two shows this week rather then one.

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2005, 12:01:49 pm »
I voted for as long as possible.  The more, the better.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2005, 12:27:54 pm »
I really liked how you did it this week, with one interview podcast, and the rest of the show coming later.

Offline the_nywt

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2005, 09:04:04 am »
I voted for as long as possible.  The more, the better.
I agree. The longer episodes are perfect for listening to on the bus when commuting to school and just whenever I have some down time. Keep up the good work Steve. ;D
New Sig Coming Soon!