15 (13.6%)
75 minutes
4 (3.6%)
90 minutes
14 (12.7%)
as long as possible
72 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: How long should podcast be?  (Read 18692 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
How long should podcast be?
« on: July 19, 2005, 01:07:35 pm »
So recently I have been getting a lot of people telling me that my podcasts are getting too long. Which is only strange because a few months ago I had everyone telling me that they were too short and should be longer. So I am going to ask you all to tell me, what length should they be?

I do break them up into segments so in reality each segment is rarely longer than 30 minutes, most around 20 minutes. So in reality it's not just one long show but rather several segments put together into a long show.

Please vote and post your opinion on this matter, thanks.

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: How long should podcast be?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 01:40:56 pm »
I'm voting for approx. 60 mins. I really don't care how long they are since now they are on my iPod I can listen and pause between segments. I was listening to you while mowing my yard the other day. ;)

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 03:04:22 pm »
As long as possible! Since you don't come out with a daily podcast, I want to know as much as there is.
 :)
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 03:34:52 pm »
yeah as long as possible

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 11:29:31 am »
I vote as long as possible, although i would under stand if you broke it up or made it shorter. To be honest, length is not important to me, as long as you do a good job (which so far you have).

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 02:20:41 am »
One Suggestion (just a little one)

would it be possible for you to add a guide with the segment name and its time setting IE: Spore Talk - 0:35:14
Not that i will not listen to hours of you talking, but when i first started to listen to your podcasts I just wanted to know were the spore info was.

Now i listen to the whole podcast, i would listen to a 6 hour long epic if you had one....... I just pictured Jim Carrey Reading "the great gatsby" in Man On The Moon.... i'd listen to that even  ;D   
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 02:52:15 pm »
I would vote as long as possible... but i'd prefer to go with the term "as long as it takes".  If you have things you want to say Steve, then we're all listening - we listen as entertainment and value your views and thoughts so yeah, don't feel limited by a certain time limit - nobody needs to listen to them all in one go anyway.  My vote goes to "as long as it takes".

Offline Captain Bones

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • The Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • a r t i s t a d a m . c o m
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 08:17:34 pm »
i'd say take as long as you need but, your looking for a specific answer... i think you do a good job of covering things in about an hour... that's not to long for being only a weekly show... it's not like there's more than an hours worth of stuff to talk about... if there is, just make a note to try an add it in next weeks podcast...

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • web - music - art :: kxmode
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 11:20:47 pm »
If YOU can listen for 35 minutes; 35 minutes. If YOU can listen for an hour; an hour. An hour and change? An hour and change. I think podcasts should be any length as long as the topics stay interesting and hosts don't become monochromatic or dronish. If a *cast is an hour or more there needs to be show notes with time markers. Time markers on an hour plus *cast is a way of saying "hey guys I know this is a long podcast and I just wanted to say I appreciate you listening. Your time is valueable so here are time markers to point to the topics that interest you."

Just my humble $0.02
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 11:23:02 pm by Toshipaine »

Offline leaneye

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 04:28:47 am »
as long as steve wants to tell something!
i used to hate it if the podcast was too long, because i used my cell phone with 32MB card, so many shows wouldnt fit!

now that i have 1GB mp3 player, its no problem.
i like the show verrrrry much. i really find that steve is an insider and if one of the topics isnt for me i can allways fastforward to the next. and i can imagine that it is a lot of work to produce a neat mp3 file.

i have been playing games since apple IIe, but here i can see how many games i have missed!

L.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 07:32:02 am »
I voted for 90 minutes because it seemed like a reasonable time for a weekly podcast. I want to listen to all the news and stuff, but (no offence) you tend to elaborate more than I'm personnally interested in. I think you could stand to shorten the show by a smidgen.

With all that being said, I'm not being selfish. I'm just trying not to generalize for everyone who listens.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Beomoose

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Serpents
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 08:46:56 am »
As long as it takes to say the things you want to say. I'd that you ask yourself "Did I say everything I wanted to say this week?" than "Have I gone on long enough/too long already? Is this watch working?" when you wrap up a podcast.
With Your Shield, Or On it.

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 05:07:18 pm »
I voted 45 minutes, but i think the real answer is "as long as necessary IF its quality content".

Ive been a listener (and GS evangelist) since the first episode and i love the podcast. buy my personal gripe, especially in such a dead gaming season, is that it just drags. Many times it feels you are trying to stretch out a segment or a review when its really not necessary.

Its your cast so obviously you can go as long as you want, but as a listener then i think that in the last few episodes ive skipped more of your podcast than ive actually listened to. Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 05:10:08 pm by mini.boss »

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 06:59:58 pm »
I voted 45 minutes, but i think the real answer is "as long as necessary IF its quality content".

Ive been a listener (and GS evangelist) since the first episode and i love the podcast. buy my personal gripe, especially in such a dead gaming season, is that it just drags. Many times it feels you are trying to stretch out a segment or a review when its really not necessary.

Its your cast so obviously you can go as long as you want, but as a listener then i think that in the last few episodes ive skipped more of your podcast than ive actually listened to. Sorry.

Ah, that's okay. Gaming season is about to get really busy, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

As for me stetching out my segments ... believe it or not I'm trying to keep them short! I could easily go 3+ hours if I'm not careful, and then I would hear from everyone that I'm stretching things out!

But the next few months should be quite exciting! Lots and lots of new games!!!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 05:44:26 pm »
So recently I have been getting a lot of people telling me that my podcasts are getting too long. Which is only strange because a few months ago I had everyone telling me that they were too short and should be longer. So I am going to ask you all to tell me, what length should they be?

I do break them up into segments so in reality each segment is rarely longer than 30 minutes, most around 20 minutes. So in reality it's not just one long show but rather several segments put together into a long show.

Please vote and post your opinion on this matter, thanks.

The complaints regarding the podcasts being too long are asinine, considering how infrequently they come out and how they can simply listen to them in short segments. Quite frankly, I wish they were even longer since I enjoy them so much.