15 (13.6%)
75 minutes
4 (3.6%)
90 minutes
14 (12.7%)
as long as possible
72 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: How long should podcast be?  (Read 18776 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
How long should podcast be?
« on: July 19, 2005, 01:07:35 pm »
So recently I have been getting a lot of people telling me that my podcasts are getting too long. Which is only strange because a few months ago I had everyone telling me that they were too short and should be longer. So I am going to ask you all to tell me, what length should they be?

I do break them up into segments so in reality each segment is rarely longer than 30 minutes, most around 20 minutes. So in reality it's not just one long show but rather several segments put together into a long show.

Please vote and post your opinion on this matter, thanks.

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: How long should podcast be?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 01:40:56 pm »
I'm voting for approx. 60 mins. I really don't care how long they are since now they are on my iPod I can listen and pause between segments. I was listening to you while mowing my yard the other day. ;)

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 03:04:22 pm »
As long as possible! Since you don't come out with a daily podcast, I want to know as much as there is.
 :)
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 03:34:52 pm »
yeah as long as possible

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 11:29:31 am »
I vote as long as possible, although i would under stand if you broke it up or made it shorter. To be honest, length is not important to me, as long as you do a good job (which so far you have).

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 02:20:41 am »
One Suggestion (just a little one)

would it be possible for you to add a guide with the segment name and its time setting IE: Spore Talk - 0:35:14
Not that i will not listen to hours of you talking, but when i first started to listen to your podcasts I just wanted to know were the spore info was.

Now i listen to the whole podcast, i would listen to a 6 hour long epic if you had one....... I just pictured Jim Carrey Reading "the great gatsby" in Man On The Moon.... i'd listen to that even  ;D   
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 02:52:15 pm »
I would vote as long as possible... but i'd prefer to go with the term "as long as it takes".  If you have things you want to say Steve, then we're all listening - we listen as entertainment and value your views and thoughts so yeah, don't feel limited by a certain time limit - nobody needs to listen to them all in one go anyway.  My vote goes to "as long as it takes".

Offline Captain Bones

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • The Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • a r t i s t a d a m . c o m
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 08:17:34 pm »
i'd say take as long as you need but, your looking for a specific answer... i think you do a good job of covering things in about an hour... that's not to long for being only a weekly show... it's not like there's more than an hours worth of stuff to talk about... if there is, just make a note to try an add it in next weeks podcast...

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • web - music - art :: kxmode
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 11:20:47 pm »
If YOU can listen for 35 minutes; 35 minutes. If YOU can listen for an hour; an hour. An hour and change? An hour and change. I think podcasts should be any length as long as the topics stay interesting and hosts don't become monochromatic or dronish. If a *cast is an hour or more there needs to be show notes with time markers. Time markers on an hour plus *cast is a way of saying "hey guys I know this is a long podcast and I just wanted to say I appreciate you listening. Your time is valueable so here are time markers to point to the topics that interest you."

Just my humble $0.02
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 11:23:02 pm by Toshipaine »

Offline leaneye

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 04:28:47 am »
as long as steve wants to tell something!
i used to hate it if the podcast was too long, because i used my cell phone with 32MB card, so many shows wouldnt fit!

now that i have 1GB mp3 player, its no problem.
i like the show verrrrry much. i really find that steve is an insider and if one of the topics isnt for me i can allways fastforward to the next. and i can imagine that it is a lot of work to produce a neat mp3 file.

i have been playing games since apple IIe, but here i can see how many games i have missed!

L.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 07:32:02 am »
I voted for 90 minutes because it seemed like a reasonable time for a weekly podcast. I want to listen to all the news and stuff, but (no offence) you tend to elaborate more than I'm personnally interested in. I think you could stand to shorten the show by a smidgen.

With all that being said, I'm not being selfish. I'm just trying not to generalize for everyone who listens.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Beomoose

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • Serpents
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 08:46:56 am »
As long as it takes to say the things you want to say. I'd that you ask yourself "Did I say everything I wanted to say this week?" than "Have I gone on long enough/too long already? Is this watch working?" when you wrap up a podcast.
With Your Shield, Or On it.

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 05:07:18 pm »
I voted 45 minutes, but i think the real answer is "as long as necessary IF its quality content".

Ive been a listener (and GS evangelist) since the first episode and i love the podcast. buy my personal gripe, especially in such a dead gaming season, is that it just drags. Many times it feels you are trying to stretch out a segment or a review when its really not necessary.

Its your cast so obviously you can go as long as you want, but as a listener then i think that in the last few episodes ive skipped more of your podcast than ive actually listened to. Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 05:10:08 pm by mini.boss »

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 06:59:58 pm »
I voted 45 minutes, but i think the real answer is "as long as necessary IF its quality content".

Ive been a listener (and GS evangelist) since the first episode and i love the podcast. buy my personal gripe, especially in such a dead gaming season, is that it just drags. Many times it feels you are trying to stretch out a segment or a review when its really not necessary.

Its your cast so obviously you can go as long as you want, but as a listener then i think that in the last few episodes ive skipped more of your podcast than ive actually listened to. Sorry.

Ah, that's okay. Gaming season is about to get really busy, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

As for me stetching out my segments ... believe it or not I'm trying to keep them short! I could easily go 3+ hours if I'm not careful, and then I would hear from everyone that I'm stretching things out!

But the next few months should be quite exciting! Lots and lots of new games!!!

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 05:44:26 pm »
So recently I have been getting a lot of people telling me that my podcasts are getting too long. Which is only strange because a few months ago I had everyone telling me that they were too short and should be longer. So I am going to ask you all to tell me, what length should they be?

I do break them up into segments so in reality each segment is rarely longer than 30 minutes, most around 20 minutes. So in reality it's not just one long show but rather several segments put together into a long show.

Please vote and post your opinion on this matter, thanks.

The complaints regarding the podcasts being too long are asinine, considering how infrequently they come out and how they can simply listen to them in short segments. Quite frankly, I wish they were even longer since I enjoy them so much.

Offline Atari Man

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • >[insert catchy phrase here]<
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 10:52:25 pm »
3+ hours would be awsome.  Let the majority speak for it self, or their self. :)

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 11:17:16 pm »
3+ hours would be awsome.  Let the majority speak for it self, or their self. :)

3 hours?! Holy crap! Well I wouldn't have the time to create the time markers for a show that long!  :o

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 06:34:21 am »
3 hours? I wouldn't even know what to talk about for that long!

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 08:08:38 pm »
well, everytime you say that you could talk about a certain topic for hours (I remember you saying this at least a couple time), you could use that content for an extra long special edition.
Or just full it up with more reviews, etc.

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 10:30:25 pm »

Steve, I can't count the number of times you’ve warned us in your casts about this coming holiday season. Basically you alluded that it is going to be rife with gaming goodness. A 3-hour show? No problem! You obviously have savvy insider knowledge and know people working in the industry. You have access to the kind of info we gamers don’t readily have… sharing is caring! That’s worth an addition 20-30 minutes. Between that, news, previews, reviews, X360, and Nintendo I think you'll have more than enough to talk about. PLUS you also said you wanted to interview someone that buys the GameStop OMEGA bundle. That's worth at least 30 minutes.

If you’re worried about your voice or what to talk about for 3-hour show then I have two perfect solutions.

ONE: Since your podcast obviously isn't live you could break up and do parts of your show on different days. For example on day one spend an hour talking gaming news (the listeners that love that news segment will become gleefully giddy). Day two do previews. Day three: reviews. Day Four: inside info (cue Daffy’s evil laughter and rub hands), day five: contests and closing statements. When compiled together with the new music the total show could easily pass the 4-hour marker.

TWO: Or if you don’t want to scare your listeners (esp. the casual ones) you could release each section of your show a couple hours after on that day. Let's say you started on a Monday... Monday would be gaming news, Tuesday: previews, Wednesday: reviews, Thursday: insider info, and Friday: contests and closing statements. There. Done and now you would have the weekend to rest, relax and play games!

See! It's doable Steve. And of course if you actually did release a 4-hour show I'd probably get a heart attack and might attempt seppuku, but I’d be up until the wee hours of the night doing the time markers! ;D

From here until January I think a 3-hour show is possible. Of course it all depends on what you and your wife decides.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:57:08 pm by Toshipaine »

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 06:13:06 pm »
Well we will see. I actually never try to "do" a 90 minute show, it just always ends up that length (strange, eh?). Thanks for your ideas, they are great. But I probably won't break up the show into different segments for different days, I think each show should be it's "own" show. But I might do a few smaller shows over a week rather than just one really large show. I'm still fooling around with the format a little and I'm trying to figure out how to "review" all the upcoming games in the next few months. Already I have like 5 games I can talk about, so I might just make the review section much quicker.

I also should have a lot of Xbox 360 news for the next show because there are some press events I'm going to, so I guess the "crazy holiday season" will start with the next show!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 10:58:49 pm »
I'm not going to be happy until your show is 24/7 and you our loading up on No-Doze to stay awake talking about what ever game you are playing. No more sleep for you.

Seriously though I think you shows are perfect length as they are. You sopund like you could go longer easy constantly saying you are moving on from news you sound like u have plenty more. I don't mind at all either I love news section.

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005, 10:22:38 pm »
Seriously though I think you shows are perfect length as they are. You sopund like you could go longer easy constantly saying you are moving on from news you sound like u have plenty more. I don't mind at all either I love news section.

The news sections do feel like he could go forever. And i wish he would because its interesting. BUT you cant deny his reviews are a bit long winded and repetetive. Id easily trade more news for a quicker review that gets to the point early.

Offline UndeadScottsman

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2005, 06:42:50 pm »
I think the length of the show might bit easier on everyone if you went back to doing a show every week instead of every other week.  Less news to cram into a show and all that. :D

Offline retman

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 07:59:23 am »
i went for 60 minutes becuase u dont want to bore you listeners :-\
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 08:07:13 am by retman »

Offline versatek

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 04:49:50 am »
I like it long.  If it came out every day, or every other day, it would have to be shorter, but the way they are currently released, I can listen to a little bit at a time.  (but I usually just listen all at once)

--Steve

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 04:43:06 pm »
I love how long they have been getting, so as long as possible is my vote.
This new show was so long he had to cut it. But that's fine, we'll get two shows this week rather then one.

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2005, 12:01:49 pm »
I voted for as long as possible.  The more, the better.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2005, 12:27:54 pm »
I really liked how you did it this week, with one interview podcast, and the rest of the show coming later.

Offline the_nywt

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2005, 09:04:04 am »
I voted for as long as possible.  The more, the better.
I agree. The longer episodes are perfect for listening to on the bus when commuting to school and just whenever I have some down time. Keep up the good work Steve. ;D
New Sig Coming Soon!

Offline Hetz

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2005, 11:37:45 am »
I really like the longer episodes. Keep up the great work, Steve! You have the best gaming podcast on the net, by far.

Offline ECUnlimited

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Entropic Decay
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2005, 08:54:22 am »
I'd like at least an hour.  I usually have about 2 hours during school to just listen to music or podcasts so an hour iis always fitting.
Currently playing: Perfect Dark Zero, Golden Sun, Half Life 2

Offline Enola

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2005, 10:38:18 am »
I love the longer episodes. I drive a lot, and they're perfectly suited for those long trips, and really make the time go by fast. Great job, Steve. You have the best Gaming Podcast I've heard yet, and you're a great representative for us aging gamers.  :-*

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2005, 12:08:13 pm »
I don't mind a longer show if its packed with info. But Steve does tend to stick on one subject until its hammered into the ground sometimes. The amount of time he takes to tell you there is no Spore Talk is longer than a full episode of most other gaming podcasts.

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2005, 10:56:31 am »
I subscribed to podcasts now, and they are cool. They should be as long as possible.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2005, 11:31:38 am »
i'd say it's best not to stretch in any way at all.  the podcast should take exactly as long as is comfortable for you steve.  if you don't have anything to say about spore you can just say so and be done in ten seconds.  alternatively, you could wax on about the latest game review for half an hour and we won't care, so long as it's interesting.  the podcast only tends to get boring when you're trying to fit a time limit.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2005, 11:39:19 am »
i agree, only say what needs to be said

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2005, 01:58:36 pm »
I subscribed to podcasts now, and they are cool. They should be as long as possible.
i agree, only say what needs to be said

Really? I couldn't tell.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2005, 02:58:35 pm »
As long as possible to tel what is necessary.  :P
Plus, You don't like music, so I assume you don't listen to podcasts, because you don't have iTunes

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2005, 02:39:59 pm »
I like to listen to the podcast in the car on my way to work. If you had shows that could fit onto one music CD when burning the disks that would help out.
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline skywalkerlives

• Pong Paddle
  • Error--the image cannot be displayed.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2006, 01:38:18 pm »
i think the podcasts should be as long as u need to talk about all the things ur gonna talk about.
not as long as possible, if u just try to make it long it will lose its interest and the content will be hard to understand--dont make it as long as u can, make it as long as u want.
            www.xanga.com/skywalkerlives

Offline scottsh

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • GamingSignal
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2006, 09:03:28 am »
Keep the episodes as long as needed to cover the material.  Don't artificially make them longer, but don't cut them short either.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2006, 10:21:11 pm »
According to our survey, these guys haven't a clue what their talking about.

Quote from: IGJA
Gaming Steve: Unlike many podcasters, Gaming Steve (aka Stephen Glicker) knows what he's talking about when he's talking about playing video games, making games or writing about video games. He's done all three.
However, Gaming Steve falls into the trap that snares many podcasters. He's long-winded.
His most recent podcast was two hours and 14 second long. The perfect podcast length is 26 minutes, which is the average daily one-way commute to work in the United States, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics' Omnibus Household Survey.
Gamers don't want to spend two hours on the iPod; they want to spend that time playing games. If Gaming Steve has so much to talk about, he should break it up into smaller casts that are updated daily.
Article below
http://www.igja.org/article.php?story=20060118214730993

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2006, 07:33:20 am »
Interesting little article. I don't see to understand why people like five smaller episodes rather than just 1 large episode. I would much prefer to download a single large episode and listen to it over a couple of days at my own rate.

There is also another reason NOT to release a podcast five days a week. Many people have to stop listening to podcast for a few days/weeks for whatever reason and this happens to me all the time. It's not that I don't want to stop listening to a particular podcast, I just get busy and have to catch up on the podcast a few weeks later. The thing is that iTunes will automatically stop your subscription to a particular podcast if you don't listen to it on a regular basis. This happens to me all the time with podcasts that are released like 5 times a week, and after a while I just stopped subscribing to them. It was like "you know iTunes? You are right! I don't listen to this podcast that often, so why should I keep subscribing to it?!"

Oh well, I must be doing something right as the Gaming Steve podcast is in the top 100 in iTunes... :)

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2006, 07:42:18 am »
26 minutes? Thats way to short. Splitting it up into daily updated podcasts? Then I have nothing to look forward to. And that is one of the things i like about it. It is just worth the waiting.
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2006, 05:23:20 pm »
According to our survey, these guys haven't a clue what their talking about.

Quote from: IGJA
Gaming Steve: Unlike many podcasters, Gaming Steve (aka Stephen Glicker) knows what he's talking about when he's talking about playing video games, making games or writing about video games. He's done all three.
However, Gaming Steve falls into the trap that snares many podcasters. He's long-winded.
His most recent podcast was two hours and 14 second long. The perfect podcast length is 26 minutes, which is the average daily one-way commute to work in the United States, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics' Omnibus Household Survey.
Gamers don't want to spend two hours on the iPod; they want to spend that time playing games. If Gaming Steve has so much to talk about, he should break it up into smaller casts that are updated daily.
Article below
http://www.igja.org/article.php?story=20060118214730993

Haha! Thats funny, because Major Nelsons latest podcast happens to be 26 minuets long.

I think you should just make the podcasts as long as they need to to be, Steve. I think its fine the way it is.

Offline n10sity

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2006, 09:43:08 am »
I don't see why anyone would complain about them being too long. As many have probably already stated, you can pause, stop, and come back to the podcast anytime you like. The longer the better in my opinion.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2006, 10:42:52 am »
Well, I think the format is starting to finally fall into place. I basically do news for around 25-30 minutes, and then SporeTalk, the review of the week, and the Retro review each take around 10 minutes each and then Name that Game takes around 5 minutes. So that gets you about an hour-long show.

The rest of the time has mostly been answering viewer questions, which often takes around 40-60 minutes and then the show is over. So, believe it or not, there is a method to the madness! I could answer a lot less questions and make the show much shorter (like some podcasts ... ahem, PC Gamer), but I think people really like the questions, so I keep that section fairly long.

I GUESS I could do a "regular" show one week and then do just a "Q&A" show another week and then you will have two shows which are each around 1 hour in length, but with my schedule I just can't do 2 shows a week -- or even release two shows a week (it's actually takes quite some time to edit and cut the show together). But I think the current format is going well.

Offline Sander Scamper

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2006, 01:38:56 am »
Method to the madness...mmm....gaming madness...Indeed.

An idea, though I certainly would forgive you if you didn't wish to spend the time, is to release a totally factual...well...its a lecture, on gaming issues. Splicing the longer explanations of some of the more important isssues that you touch on occasionally, you could easily create 1 hour long talks on these.

For instance, you could splice or even redo an entire hour long lecture on Why American Games Don't Sell in Japan.mp3 or perhaps The History of Nintendo.mp3...Hell, I'd buy these, as I'm sure many else would... Just an idea =)
The reason I hate/Boycott Sony: "Most people, I think, don't even know what a Rootkit is, so why should they care about it?"

Offline Racingfreak92

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2006, 04:17:26 am »
Unlike Mini.boss i listen to the ENTIRE show sometimes i listen to it twice. I dont pc game and dont care about nintendo or sony but its interesting to learn about the other compaines and whats going on. I really enjoy your show i started listening at epsiode 40 and wliked it so much i actually went back and listened to others to learn more aobout oblivion,spore and other games and stuff

Offline alphager

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2006, 12:58:15 pm »
Have you thought about outsourcing the actual editing to someone else (or even the community) ?

I think there would be enough volunteers to do the editing for you.
I'm not weird, i'm gifted !

Offline bestpersonever

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2006, 12:16:35 pm »
Steve, have you considered setting up chapter breaks in the podcast? I haven't seen many shows do this, but The Ricky Gervais Show used it perfectly. Each chapter had a break you could skip to just by hitting >>|  on the iPod (and each segment had relevant album art that would display). The track progress bar had black vertical lines at the chapter breaks so you can see how it's broken up.

It's extra work, I imagine, but I think that would be a great solution for all types of listeners.

I haven't read much about it, but it might be a Mac only thing, so if you create the podcast on a PC, this might be an option. :-\

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2006, 08:35:47 pm »
Steve, have you considered setting up chapter breaks in the podcast? I haven't seen many shows do this, but The Ricky Gervais Show used it perfectly. Each chapter had a break you could skip to just by hitting >>|  on the iPod (and each segment had relevant album art that would display). The track progress bar had black vertical lines at the chapter breaks so you can see how it's broken up.

It's extra work, I imagine, but I think that would be a great solution for all types of listeners.

I haven't read much about it, but it might be a Mac only thing, so if you create the podcast on a PC, this might be an option. :-\

The problem with setting up those chapters breaks is that you have to make an ACC file instead of a MP3 (which means that you HAVE to use iTunes to listen to the show) and it increases the filesize by quite a huge amount. Also I can't just make two files, one MP3 and one ACC, and upload it to the site as iTunes gets confused and takes them both. I tried this is the past and it's a bit of a nightmare.

Long story short, unless I save all the shows in ACC format and double to triple the size of the audio files there is no other way to really do this...

Offline cptrootbeer

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2006, 03:54:56 pm »
The only other way I can think of "chapter breaks" is to separate the mp3 file into separate files, like gamingSteve01.mp3, gamingSteve02.mp3, etc.  While I see advantages to this, it was be a pain at other times.