Poll

Do u dislike the U.S president

yes
no
dont care
dont care i dont live there

Author Topic: Your thoughts on the government, politics, and ect  (Read 11681 times)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: Your thoughts on the government, politics, and ect
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2007, 02:09:17 pm »
You don't have to like the conservative opinions. I don't agree with all of them myself but I tend to fall more toward the conservative than liberal side. Most of that is due to taxes and economy. No one likes a war, Vietnam was a mess and now they can look back and see what went wrong. This war is not even on that scale.

I tend to vote for the person I like in elections, locally I have voted Democrat before but Presidentially, I tend to vote Republican. I probably would be more Libertarian or Independent in my views but I've never changed parties.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2007, 05:30:13 pm »

Hehe, most of Maine isn't leaning to either side. :P

What's interesting is that both of Maine's U.S. senators are republicans, however both of them are in the top 4 for popularity, even though Maine is a mostly democrat state. (source: http://www.surveyusa.com/50State2006/Net100USSenatorApproval061122.htm)

What I am trying to say is that you should vote by party, but by who you think is the best candidate. If that just so happens to be all the same party, that's fine, but you should blindly pick only one party.

I never have, nor ever will, be a member of any political party.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2007, 07:22:05 pm »
Personally, I don't like the way we elect people because of the flaws you see in the above map.

I think it should be more parliment-esque.

Say there are exactly 300m people.

For every 1m that vote democratic, a "congressman" should be appointed to congress.
Likewise with republican.

And presidential elections should be desided by popular vote, not electoral college.

Senators should either cease to exist, or have there be one senator from each state, appointed by the state legislature. Senators were just created by the states-rights states around the American Revolution, the concept is a relic  :-\ The same for the electoral college; if most people vote against you, you shouldn't win.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2007, 10:38:44 pm »
If you have more than 2 parties it's quiet possible to have more than half the voting population vote against you. I don't know much about what goes on if there are small independent candidates in the US sound like here are but they get so little of the vote it matter almost none. I know hear in Australia aside from the ALP and the Liberal Party we have the Australian Democrats and the Greens also Family 1st seems to have gather strength with some ultra conservative views (burning lesbians as witches i think they mentioned one point) anyway they often get enough votes that it's not uncommon that the winner doesn't have a majority vote which is actually needed to win an election here hence preferential voting.

Still as much as people here seem to hate John Howard and were against the GST and how much we don't like the IR laws or are involvement in the war in Iraq we keep voting him in.