Author Topic: War of the World SPOLIER THREAD - DON'T READ THIS IF HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE!  (Read 4636 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
SPOLIER WARNING: This thread will be discussing issues in the movie. If you have not seen the movie and want to, don't read on. :SPOILER WARNING
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 01:41:12 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
Rant:
-Ok, how was it that all the cars were broken and all electronics were out, but the guy in the street still had a working camcorder?

-Does the military always have to be complete idiots in these movies? Line up, fire, get killed, next wave... we are smarter than that.

-The cars in the EMP blasts were down. Fine. But there is no way they should have been able to get that minivan fixed, the computer would have been fried. Cruise's Mustang would have been an easier repair.

-Tom Cruise's performance was terrible. His acting was even more stilted than the tripods.

-I know you're supposed to suspend disbelief in these movies, but with people watching shows like mythbusters or those of us awake in high school physics class, you were asking for a lot.

-Lego
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 01:38:11 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
  • If we can dream it, we can do it.
    • View Profile
I stopped thinking about movie errors some time ago....they ruin a movie.....so if I don't care, I can still try to enjoy the movie....
(wasn't my desicion, my girlfriend got angry with me because of my ranting all the time ;) )
I think that an EMP shock only disables active ciricuits, so the camcorder could've been switched off at the time of the shock, but then several cars should'Ve worked too.....well....as I said...I don't care anymore ;)
But there were two things that really annoyed me:
1. The vortex next to the ferry looked awful....
2. In one seen at the end, you see a soldier with a rocket launcher thingy on his back and you can see that the rocket launcher just consists of a steel pipe and two tires (that one really ruined the whole ending for me, even worse than Robbies miracle...)

Some seens were really cool (the tripod on the mountain chasing the humans....classic), but most of it was pretty crappy....
But if you ignore logic, the movie is ok....:D
Life, don't talk to me about life.
                 -Marvin, the paranoid android

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
Are you talking about the Javelin Missile that they fired at the tripod? That is what they really look like when carried. (or was there something else I missed?)

Most of the equipment came from the 10th Mountain Division and most of the soldiers were real soldiers from the US Army hired as extras. (Which is why I cringe at how they were used... you'd think some sargeant would go 'that ain't right'.)

Details:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/javelin.htm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 06:33:43 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Aside from the problems, one of my favorite things about the movie is when the tripod do their "call."

I don't care about all mess-ups, etc, I still think it was a good movie, I tend to focus on the good, rather than the bad.

*insert tripod call here*

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
  • If we can dream it, we can do it.
    • View Profile
Are you talking about the Javelin Missile that they fired at the tripod? That is what they really look like when carried. (or was there something else I missed?)

Most of the equipment came from the 10th Mountain Division and most of the soldiers were real soldiers from the US Army hired as extras. (Which is why I cringe at how they were used... you'd think some sargeant would go 'that ain't right'.)
I don't no anything about military stuff sooo hehe for me it was just a rocket launcher thingy ;)
Well yeah that Javelin thing looks like the one I saw except I could swear I saw a profile on the top and bottom round bigger...thing.... hehe if that makes sense at all ;)
The lighting was strange in that particular scene, didn't really fit in the movie....maybe they shot it later and had no real equipment left, so they made their own....or I am completely wrong :D
Life, don't talk to me about life.
                 -Marvin, the paranoid android

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Well I just saw it and I really liked it.

First, the special effects were insane. I thought the LOTR movies were good, but these were even better. In fact, the special effects are to the point where you can't even tell anymore what is created on the computer and what is real anymore. The movie is almost worth that alone.

Second, I thought the movie was quite scary, and I can count on one hand the number of movies I thought were scary, and this one I thought was extremely frightening. But this might have to do with 9/11 and my experiences on that day as Spielberg put a lot of similar imagery from 9/11 into the movie which I connected with (trying to flee the city, getting stuck in endless traffic and people, the total insanity and magnitude of the destruction, posters of people missing everywhere, stuff like that). So this might be some of my personal experiences spilling over into the movie.

Third, I liked that it wasn't the same as the book, I really didn't know what was going to happen next and it really kept me involved.

In fact, I can only think of one thing that I didn't like about this movie ... the ending is a bit Hollywood but otherwise it's quite good. I would definitely go see this one, it's quite good. Sure it doesn't always make sense, and Cruise was pretty bad (which was strange since he's usually pretty good) but I still liked it.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
Well I just saw it and I really liked it.

First, the special effects were insane. I thought the LOTR movies were good, but these were even better. In fact, the special effects are to the point where you can't even tell anymore what is created on the computer and what is real anymore. The movie is almost worth that alone.

Second, I thought the movie was quite scary, and I can count on one hand the number of movies I thought were scary, and this one I thought was extremely frightening. But this might have to do with 9/11 and my experiences on that day as Spielberg put a lot of similar imagery from 9/11 into the movie which I connected with (trying to flee the city, getting stuck in endless traffic and people, the total insanity and magnitude of the destruction, posters of people missing everywhere, stuff like that). So this might be some of my personal experiences spilling over into the movie.

Third, I liked that it wasn't the same as the book, I really didn't know what was going to happen next and it really kept me involved.

In fact, I can only think of one thing that I didn't like about this movie ... the ending is a bit Hollywood but otherwise it's quite good. I would definitely go see this one, it's quite good. Sure it doesn't always make sense, and Cruise was pretty bad (which was strange since he's usually pretty good) but I still liked it.

Eh.. I personally did not find it that scary, probably because I knew how it would end.  To me the graphics were not as good as LOTR, but I have that problem with CG in general.  I think its way to clean, give me anamotronic puppets and models.  Like I said in the other thread, its not a great movie, but its not bad either.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
The best part was the taped footage of the dozens of tripods roving through the city. I just had an archetypal, End-Of-The-World quality that was incredibly compelling. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:41:43 pm by Leng »
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
i also wondered about the camcorder thing, and i jumped when you hear the airplane crashing

the ending was downright stupid, that kid should have been killed in whatever explosion happened.

but overall i liked the movie
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
i also wondered about the camcorder thing, and i jumped when you hear the airplane crashing

the ending was downright stupid, that kid should have been killed in whatever explosion happened.

but overall i liked the movie

Amen!