Author Topic: E-mail to Wright  (Read 7236 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
E-mail to Wright
« on: July 17, 2005, 09:27:21 pm »
Sorry for all the new topics by the community n00b13t, but i thought this was a good one. I sent this e-mail with some of the more "pressing" details of the game to Will Wright, I thought you guys might have some fun with it until (if) he replies. I'll share his response in this thread when (if) he does. I know number 11 is very, very far fetched, but it's worth a shot. Hell, I'd practically give my soul for ten minutes with that thing.

I know you must get a lot of email about Spore, and if you answer these questions, I will share them with the community at gamingsteve.com. I will be completely contented if you even reply to anything in this email, so feel free answer any questions you want in as many or as few words as you want, if you choose to even read it.

1) Will there be infantry in the tribal or city stages of the game, or are you limited to war when you reach civilization?

2) Once you get to the tribal phase of the game, will you still be able to evolve your species?

3) A question about the abruptness of evolution... If I start out with a creature that looks like a koala bear, can I make a creature that looks like a whale by the next generation, or is it more of a realistic, gradual process?

4) I believe I heard somewhere that as you evolve your creature, the planet will form to it. For example, if I make a land creature, there will be a lot of land on my home world, whereas if I make a water creature, there will be much more water.

5) Is the Maxis team aiming for a teen rated game? If so, how much are would the team be willing to sacrifice (take out, change from original, etc) to keep it on that course?

6) No offence, but is this going to be a game "designed" for expansion packs?

7) The demo looked all but finished, what aspects of this game are going to take the extra year+ that the current release period calls for?

8) Will there be any amphibious creatures or vehicles? Will the UFO be able to move underwater?

9) What is the Maxis staff going to do about having inappropriate characters or tons and tons of basically the same characters (as it almost certainly will be with familiar creatures, like pokemon or humans)?

10) How complex will the civilizations get? Will there be leaders, government, corruption, trends, etc?

11) Please, kind sir, please. Would you release a beta phase of the creature editor to the public? Maybe just to me? I'll surely be unable to concentrate on anything until I am able to experience this incredible stroke of genius.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: E-mail to Wright
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 12:14:18 am »
Read previous psts, llisten to the podcasts, listen/read the Will Wright interviews
FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE

Offline Gavin

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 02:31:44 am »
To above^^ some of those points made I believe are somewhat new and there is no harm in asking, even if it has been asked before; besides I would be interested to see if Will does reply. At this point any new information would be nice as there seems to be only a lot of pointless speculation.

Offline Choro

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 03:31:57 am »
I hope there will be infantry... Infantry is the best  ;D

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 04:47:32 am »
8) Will there be any amphibious creatures or vehicles? Will the UFO be able to move underwater?

I think I can safely answer that question.. When I was watching the Spore presentation yesterday night, I noticed something that I hadn't seen before.. When Will has just purchased the UFO and is about to go pick up one of those creatures, watch the lower left corner of the screen.. There you'll see two units move into the water and when the UFO zooms in a short while later, we see one of the units moving away across the water.. So yeah.. There will be amphibious vehicles..

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 02:51:15 pm »
What is his email? (wwright [at] maxis.com ?)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 02:53:33 pm »
yeah, at least that's what I sent it to...

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 11:30:16 am »
Sorry for all the new topics by the community n00b13t, but i thought this was a good one. I sent this e-mail with some of the more "pressing" details of the game to Will Wright, I thought you guys might have some fun with it until (if) he replies. I'll share his response in this thread when (if) he does. I know number 11 is very, very far fetched, but it's worth a shot. Hell, I'd practically give my soul for ten minutes with that thing.

I know you must get a lot of email about Spore, and if you answer these questions, I will share them with the community at gamingsteve.com. I will be completely contented if you even reply to anything in this email, so feel free answer any questions you want in as many or as few words as you want, if you choose to even read it.

1) Will there be infantry in the tribal or city stages of the game, or are you limited to war when you reach civilization?

What do you mean by infantry? We know for a fact that for example you have foot soldiers at the tribal stage. As you advance you get better buildings and vehicles.

2) Once you get to the tribal phase of the game, will you still be able to evolve your species?

In a way yes, I believe that you could pick up one of your own species with your UFO and use the UFO tools to evolve it......or not.

3) A question about the abruptness of evolution... If I start out with a creature that looks like a koala bear, can I make a creature that looks like a whale by the next generation, or is it more of a realistic, gradual process?

The video suggests that you can make major changes however there are a set number of steps so it's gradual to a degree however you can make big changes in a short time. I would have thought though that you can't go from land to water but only the other way.

4) I believe I heard somewhere that as you evolve your creature, the planet will form to it. For example, if I make a land creature, there will be a lot of land on my home world, whereas if I make a water creature, there will be much more water.

This isn't really a question, what are you asking? We know that creatures that are downloaded are picked from a database that matches them to the planet you are on so that you don't get water based creatures purely on a land based planet.

5) Is the Maxis team aiming for a teen rated game? If so, how much are would the team be willing to sacrifice (take out, change from original, etc) to keep it on that course?

6) No offence, but is this going to be a game "designed" for expansion packs?

I think it goes without saying that there will be expansion packs, I believe this has already been addresses in the FAQ.

7) The demo looked all but finished, what aspects of this game are going to take the extra year+ that the current release period calls for?

Not sure if I understand this question, Star Wars Galaxies had a playable demo of it's game 2 years before it's released and even a part of the Space game 3 and a half years before it's released. Although a game may look complete there is a lot of fine tuning before it's in a saleale condition.

The first part is answered in the FAQ, the second part is most likely no based on the answer to the first part.

9) What is the Maxis staff going to do about having inappropriate characters or tons and tons of basically the same characters (as it almost certainly will be with familiar creatures, like pokemon or humans)?

I expect the first part will be moderated but as for the second part based on what Will has said they won't do anything as the chance of having identical creatures are pretty remote but having similar ones there is nothing wrong with.

10) How complex will the civilizations get? Will there be leaders, government, corruption, trends, etc?

11) Please, kind sir, please. Would you release a beta phase of the creature editor to the public? Maybe just to me? I'll surely be unable to concentrate on anything until I am able to experience this incredible stroke of genius.

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 12:03:03 pm »

I forget where I read this, likely somewhere on gaming steve when asked about copyright and inappropriateness issues of characters. He said they've already had to deal with that on Sims 2 and it comes down to being able to flag any creature on the system for any reason. My guess would be there will be a system for flagging, and once a creature is flagged they will be removed from the download pool until a human has a chance to look at it. I'm only speculating on this later part.

I also recall it being said that the computer will decide which creatures of those it has downloaded will be used where. It wouldn't be hard to prevent the same creature being used twice.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 12:41:12 pm »
I also recall it being said that the computer will decide which creatures of those it has downloaded will be used where. It wouldn't be hard to prevent the same creature being used twice.

What i'm worried about is 20,000 kids all making a pikachu. But all the pikachus are slightly different because the kids can't all make the exact same pikachu. So what i'm worried about is that every planet i travel to will have some sort of pokemon or something

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 01:09:43 pm »
He probably will reply, but it might take a few days. But don't be surprised to see a reply in your mailbox.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 01:15:41 pm »
He probably will reply, but it might take a few days. But don't be surprised to see a reply in your mailbox.

Unlike a certain game review site owner I've emailed in response to his call for an artist... hint hint...

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 01:25:27 pm »
What i'm worried about is 20,000 kids all making a pikachu. But all the pikachus are slightly different because the kids can't all make the exact same pikachu. So what i'm worried about is that every planet i travel to will have some sort of pokemon or something

I was wondering about that myself. But since the game is apparently smart enough to take a plant you made and make its own variations of it to fill out the planet, then I'm sure it'll be able to detect similarities between creatures and group them together that way, making it easier for the generators to more likely choose non-similar creatures to throw out.
As for visiting other people's planets and finding pikachus over and over again... assimilate or wipe them out.

==Off Topic==
I'm starting to think that the option of downloading content or not downloading content will present players with two fairly different games.
On one hand, if you download, you'll get a bunch of player made planets that are all pretty much premade for you.
On the other, if you don't download, it seems like you'll find many more randomly generated planets than you will premade ones.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 01:27:20 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 02:15:38 pm »
Thank you very much for alleviating one of my biggest concerns about the game.

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 04:30:03 am »
If your able to send messages to whoever created the pokemon, you can just rub it in their face that you completely wiped them out from the galaxy

"Haha, I pwn3d j00 pikaj00"
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 04:54:31 pm »
Well, the game keeps track of how your creature is doing in other galaxies. So, when they get the message "Pikachuu placed in 3004 galaxies, Pikachuu exterminated in 3003 galaxies, banned in 1" I think they'll get the message just fine.

Offline Siever

• Fire Truck Driver
  • The Mandude
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 03:04:45 pm »
  I would think he is a busy dude, and has better things than to answer stupid questions from yet ANOTHER fan.  garsh.  on the other hand tell us when he answers ;D
"THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS"
        -Tom Morello's guitar
http://www.costofwar.com/

Offline Dake

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • All your SPORE are belong to us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 02:44:31 pm »
If your able to send messages to whoever created the pokemon, you can just rub it in their face that you completely wiped them out from the galaxy

"Haha, I pwn3d j00 pikaj00"

As for this, i have read in several spots, that you get reports of how people are interacting with your content. as in whether or not they are killing them on the spot, or are bringing them into thier society evolving them etc with monoliths etc. so yeah, thats one way you can rub it in thier faces, is by killing any unoriginal species on sight. they should get the point when thousands(or one big universal report most likely) of reports telling them that thier creature is a virus being exterminated. as for me...i would have been one of those pokemon makers, BUT it was for sheer annoyance, so that everyone would have a fun creature to destroy without guilt lol. but my take on pikachu was going to be called ravagechu, with man eating teeth. lol. but i wont do it now that i have better ideas.but i would have made more then pikachu, but i like my original ideas better and dont plan on wasting my time with a planet of pokemon.

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2005, 06:11:59 am »
Now you know there's gonna be some kid who will make a planet filled with pokemon...

Anyway, I'm gonna find my list of questions from awhile back and email Will Wright.

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2005, 12:22:28 pm »
Oh, ye gods. I've been hearing so much about pokemon and all that crap, but I tell ya, how's it goin-ter be bad? Really, take a giant phallus for example.

It'd need to have a mouth somewhere, and legs, not to mention an eye or two somewhere. And expanding onto that, you should probably get some arms, and so on. And then, do you even have a giant phallus anymore? Nay, sirrah. You have a long and stupid looking creature.

What I'm trying to say is: I imagine Spore could probably take whatever cliche thing you grind into it and turn it into a genuine Sporish creature. Even if you do see a pikachu, it'd probably fit in, as it was designed by people that had no sleep for who knows how long, just like our critters will be. Now, I'd imagine a bunch of people would copy already existing creatures made by other players, yet all ye numb-rods keep whining about pokemon.

Everything will fit in. It's a big universe. And contrary to popular belief, Pokemon stopped being popular gawd-knows-how-many years ago.
Riot grrrrl!