Author Topic: Just the Folicans  (Read 19051 times)

Offline Silverfish

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Just the Folicans
« on: April 13, 2007, 03:36:51 pm »
Here's some info about...

(Info on this first post may be outdated a smidgen.*)

The Folicans

This is a 'smart' one in a lab coat, for no special reason.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
(Now, for more, in-depth stuff)

Biology Bits

This list represents the 'stats' of a very average folican;

Height: 4 ft(1.2 m)
Weight: Ummm... 100 lbs.(45.3 kg)
'Type': ...'Furred, pseudo-mammal'?
'Natural' Lifespan: Around 50-60 earth years.
Diet: Omnivorous.
Pelt Colors(from common to most rare): Brown, tan, 'paint', black, red/white, spotty, striped, blue, albino, bald...Along with various genetically altered ones.(I'll add to it if I think of more =P)
Running Speed: A super cool 43 mph(70* kmph)

Well, that turned out to be a short list...

Anyways, here's some written stuff:

Currently...

Like I said before, they're a small, mammal-like bunch of creatures, who can do some minor photosynthesis with the leaf-life parts that usually grow on their head and back. The leafy parts can give them a small amount of energy, but they mainly just eat stuff. They also have a long-ish, prehensile tail, with a barb on it, used for possum-esque maneuvers when in trees. Hanging upside down, hooking onto things, ect... Speaking of trees, they never actually climbed them. Instead, the folicans mostly used their extremely springy legs, which then lead to them using their rough, non-slip paw-feet. A strange way to climb, but it must've worked, considering they're still around.

As for the size of them, I say again, they're small. So they tend to do all the stereotypical stuff small creatures do. They have extreme agility, and a somewhat unsettling amount of flexibility, due to large amounts of a rubbery substance in their skeleton. This seems to relate to the fact that... Well, folicans are durable, even compared to 'large' creatures. They can take a real beating, getting slammed into walls, thrown by explosions, and even chewed on and remain(mostly) in one piece. They can also take losing a limb surprisingly well... And, in case you wanted to know, this makes them 'bad' for eating. They tend to be really chewy, and full of gristle.

Of course, most of them try to avoid getting chewed on and such, relying on their craftiness, instead. Even though they can take a beating, their still a 'brains over brawn' species. 'Cept for the crazy ones...

Also, they can bite with a nearly comical disproportionate amount of force. And they have nasty, big, pointy teeth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Planet:-

Name: 'The Mudball'
Type: It ranges from desert to swamp.
Size: Around 3/4 the size of Earth.
Rotation(a day...): A bit longer than an Earth one...
Revolution(a year): Roughly half of an Earth one.
Temperature(Daytime): Lowest; -15 F(26 C) Highest; 120 F(55 C)
Seasons: No significant changes through the year...
Moons: It has one, large moon, which I have yet to give a name...
Misc.: It's the only planet in it's solar system, unless you count all the giant 'rocks'.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Technology

Compared to most other races, the folicans are a bit inferior... Most of them, anyway. There are a few groups that have remained 'smart' and are pretty much at a 'average' level, technologically speaking. The only smart group that hasn't hidden themselves away would be the folican pirates. Pirates are the only source of imported(and stolen) goods and tech. They sell some of it off, but keep the most advanced for themselves. This actually gives them the ability to be a threat to most alien races that go through their territory(a certain cluster of asteroids). And, they're the only ones of their kind with long-range space travel capabilities.

Hmm... Pirates are actually very important...So I think I'll explain them a bit later, with their own section...

Oh, but there are few things that the average folicans are good at.

1. Genetics: The folicans have always loved genetics. Which is probably why the knowledge about it kept growing, even after all of the 'mishaps' on the planet. They've always been willing to go far, far over the 'the line', with all kinds of experiments on DNA and such. To them, it's a practically a fun toy. They're at the level where they can pretty much make anything they can think of.

2. 'Wave' Technology: Another thing they have a knack for, is using waves; Radio, light, sound, blah, blah, so on and so on... They use stuff like 'microwave guns', 'resonators' and the like. I'll elaborate later with pictures, I think.

3. 'Thinking' AI: The folcans are also good at is developing AI that has the whole 'self aware' thing going on. They actually purposely wanted this. So, yeah. The majority of machines made by them tend to be very 'emotional' at times.

4. Misc: They seem to have an uncanny way of eavesdropping on anyone at anytime. Probably something about the way they set up their antennas...

*More stuff on the way.*

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 03:23:51 pm by Silverfish »

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
Re: Just the Folicans
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 03:47:11 pm »
Took you long enough!

Offline Green Gremlin

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 08:16:38 pm »
Cool!

Offline Silverfish

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:29:24 am »
*revives topic*

Hmm... M'well, looks like I broke my promise and ended up disappearing again. Well, lurking... But whatever. I'm in the mood for another comeback.

Now, this round, I think I really do have a 'plan'... Yes, I've learned my lesson. :-X

This time, I think I'm going to at least keep the folicans active for a reasonable time... I also think I have a few ideas in the works... But... Suggestions in the meantime(in which I'll be throwing together a new drawing on paper)would be very much appreciated. Any at all. :P

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 10:03:24 am »
Have a picture of a Folicon (sp?) feast! The tribe has just hunted an enormous monster, and sucseeded. They are feasting to celebrate!  :D

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 02:23:45 pm »
Folican video gaaaame!

You must do it!

gec05

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »
Cool, I liked these guys the most. :)

Offline Silverfish

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 06:05:23 pm »
Have a picture of a Folicon (sp?) feast! The tribe has just hunted an enormous monster, and sucseeded. They are feasting to celebrate!  :D

Hmm... Interesting concept. Almost forgot about the tribal stuff.  ;)

Folican video gaaaame!

You must do it!

Er.... I lack the competence to complete such a task..?  :P

Oooh... I feel special.  ;D

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 06:09:37 pm »
Just a random tidbit, but when I was starting my Florauna RP, one of the people who asked to sign up mistakenly called them "Folicans"

And now this topic is on my "new replies to your posts" lists

gec05

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 06:28:24 pm »

Out of all your creatures of course. ;)

Offline Silverfish

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 06:36:47 pm »
Just a random tidbit, but when I was starting my Florauna RP, one of the people who asked to sign up mistakenly called them "Folicans"

And now this topic is on my "new replies to your posts" lists

Hmm... Really? That's weird. I guess they are kind of similar, as far as having planty bits go.

Interesting tidbit, indeed.

Out of all your creatures of course. ;)

...Aww, I thought so(even though I have like one other creature. =P). But still, woohoo.

Offline Silverfish

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 07:57:40 pm »
Feels kinda awkward to bump for something this small... But whatever..

Yes, in case you haven't noticed, I actually put a few paragraphs worth of very nutshell-like info.

If someone catches me before I call it a night, I'll elaborate, if I seemed to have left something out in that tiny story... I probably did, seeing as I'm very much sick right now and can't think...  :P

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 08:01:32 pm »
... Are you trying to get us/them to kill the Folicans off?

Offline Silverfish

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 08:05:18 pm »
Nah... Heh. But good point, though. It does sorta look that way. X]

Really, I'm trying to make them as 'provocative' as possible.. Y'know, 'cause I like when they get attention. I like them too much right now to have them blown up already!

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 08:07:54 pm »
..... Then saying "Someone should blow them up! Even if there are smart ones!".....

Not that smart.