Author Topic: Fallout 3?  (Read 221873 times)

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 3?
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2008, 01:23:06 pm »
Okay, I'll start by saying that I played 1 and 2 and thought they were awesome, some of the best games ever.  If I get this game, I will not consider it to be a part of the same series, I'll just judge it on it's own merits because there is no way it will measure up to those classics.

That said, I have a question.  I thought this game was set in a post-apocalyptic future where most of the world was nuked, so why was Washington D.C. not completely reduced to glass and ashes?  Seems to me like it should be a fairly high-profile target.
Signed, Morslok

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2008, 02:45:29 pm »
Well, I assume these were 1940s era nukes, so they would actually just have a small (relative, it would still be huge) blast, but a large atomic fallout. I'm sure there'll be a crater somewhere, with more muties and ghouls the closer you get.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 07:25:54 am »
Actually, as I understand the lore, the game's war took place in the late 50's early 60's after the US had made the jump from standard nuclear devices to thermonuclear devices, and had just begun to employ ICBM's. So the explosive force of a device would be considerably larger, ALTHOUGH, it would have been the US with the most advanced nuclear tech at the time. So while we would be pasting the rest of the world, the stuff we would get hit with wouldn't be too much better than an early hydrogen bomb.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2008, 07:43:16 am »
Note that WWIII take place in the year 2077. But one can not apply our understanding of technology to this world as it is after all a retro 1950's era game. That being said form the Mark 1 "little boy" (1945) to Mark 15 (1955) the yield when form 13-16 Kt to 1.7-3.8 Mt. The Most powerful nuclear warhead ever detonated was the Tsar Bomba (1961) produced by USSR with yield 50 Mt. And this was after skipping the last stage of the bomb that would have boosted the yield up to 100 Mt. Concerns for the environment made the Russians skip on the last Fission stage of the Fission-Fusion-Fission Warhead.

Still i guess you have to take it for what it is. A game. Yes i would believe that Washington would be one of those forbidden zones to radioactive and demolish for people to visit for a very long time. But i think that will be a lesser snag in the hole fallout 3 game. If it was to turn out to be the major snag then Wheee! It game must be great if that is the only thing one can find to complain about. ;)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2008, 05:24:58 pm »
Apparently fungus cleans up radiation, neat!
 http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn13829-fungi-lock-depleted-uranium-out-of-harms-way.html

I'm betting one day we'll see huge fields of glowing mushrooms looking just like tiberium

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2008, 04:23:06 pm »
Interesting. The problem in the past have not been finding something that absorbers the Uranium particulates. Quite the opposite. The problem have been that they tend to go back in the the once organismic dies or even worse, gets eaten and contaminate higher organism like Humans.  (Very smiler problem that we have with lead, mercury and other heavy metals. The toxic effect alone of Uranium is equal to lead.)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2008, 10:43:10 am »
IGN interviewed Bethesda about what they learned from Oblivion..

http://pc.ign.com/articles/886/886323p1.html

Pretty cool interview there, no really new gameplay info, but it was a good read.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2008, 01:13:33 pm »
Do want!

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2008, 07:50:12 am »
well. according to the dev's own Faq on the forums purchasing sex from gay cannibals is possible.

my dream has come true!

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2008, 11:59:37 am »
The bad thing is your character will come out missing a leg and certain manly bits. *cringe* *shudder*

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2008, 03:09:42 pm »
what, are shemales in, now?

not all will play as a male, you know.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2008, 06:46:37 pm »
Oooh... Is that a jackhammer I see?

Yes, yes it is. Awesome.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2008, 04:16:41 am »
Hey, guess what everyone! The OFLC, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to ban Fallout 3 because of "realistic visual representations of drugs and their delivery method (bringing) the 'science-fiction' drugs in line with 'real-world' drugs."

I know the OFLC are a bunch of draconian bureaucrats who can't grasp the concept that adults play games, but this is just pathetic. K-Rudd had better do something about them.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2008, 06:36:57 am »
poor yahtzee.

Offline LuceroJuarez

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2008, 07:56:35 am »
People are going to be so disappointed when they finally play this game. They're raping one of the best RPG series out there. Hell, they can barely make their own RPGs. How can they actually expect to create an RPG based on one of the most venerated series in the world?