Author Topic: - MAFIA II SPECTATOR TOPIC -  (Read 19806 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
- MAFIA II SPECTATOR TOPIC -
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:10:23 pm »
LIST OF PLAYERS:
Gunner
neoadept
Daxx
Great Distance
p-luke
Mr. Consideration
Brandonazz
Person21
aligon
Interitus
Yossitaru
Kcronos
Flamester_
Slartibartfast
7 who ate 9
Cobra

Player Count: 16

---
Okay, the idea of another game seems to be quite popular so here's a planning topic. Damn, I hope i'm not cluttering up the board. o_O"
Firstly, the base rules for any uninitiated:

The players will be split into Townsfolk and Mafia on a 2 to 1 ratio. How you win the game is dependant on which team you're in.

TOWNSFOLK
WIN CONDITION: KILL ALL THE MAFIA
KILL METHOD: DAYTIME LYNCHING
Townsfolk are the uninformed majority. Their main advantage is that they have twice as many people as the mafia do - however, unlike the mafia, Townsfolk do not know the identity of other players, which means they have to rely on logic and observance of other players during the day to determine what their affiliation could be. This makes them open to manipulation by the mafia who mingle with them during the day and influence the lynch. The townsfolk are at a disadvantage in the early game, but get potentially stronger as the game continues.

MAFIA
WIN CONDITION: EQUAL OR SURPASS THE TOWNSFOLK IN NUMBER
KILL METHOD: MURDER AT NIGHT
Mafia are the informed minority. They are fewer in number than the townsfolk so deaths of their kin are much more costly, but their defining advantage is that they know who each other are, and are allowed to communicate with each other in secret to plan their strategy - who to kill, how to use their powers towards a common goal, and how to manipulate the townsfolk into lynching themselves. Unlike the townsfolk, they are a centralised faction and have a leader in THE BOSS, who is responsible for communicating the mafia's desires to the game moderator. Each night they are allowed to kill one townsfolk member, this is reached via popular decision. The mafia are strong at the beginning of the game but their strength level does not have as much capacity for growth as the Townsfolk's.

The game progresses in phases, each being a minimum of 12 hours in length at the beginning and shortening as neccecary as the game goes on. The two phases are DAY and NIGHT.

DAY PHASE
During the Day Phase, all players - mafia and townsfolk alike - must vote on who should be lynched. At the end of the phase, the one with the highest votes will be lynched and eliminated from the game. You may abstain from voting, and change your vote at any time you please - it is only made final when the phase ends. Townsfolk should be trying to figure out who is mafia by looking at voting patterns, trying to seperate lies and manipulation from truth, and then voting for who they have a good suspicion of being mafia. Mafia members on the other hand, pose as townsfolk and try to manipulate the townsfolk into hanging each other.

NIGHT PHASE
During the Night Phase, the Mafia plot on who to murder if they haven't already drawn up a plan. Once they have reached a decision, the Mafia Boss PMs the game moderator with which townsfolk member is going to die, and which mafia member is going to do the killing. Also in this phase, active role powers are brought into play - vigilante kills, taxi driver switches, and so forth. The Night Phase ends after a defined length of time (usually shorter than the day phase) to give players enough time to get their power callouts to my inbox.

Day and Night cycle repeatedly until either side wins. In other words, players are constantly being eliminated from the game.

POWER USAGE
All roles have their own special powers which sets them apart from other roles. These come in two forms - Passive and Active.
Passive powers are always in effect unless something happens to change or remove them. They do not have to be "called".
Active powers must be "called" by PMing the game moderator with a request to use your power, and stating the target/s if the power requires it. They can be called at any time, and will be put into effect at the end of the next night phase.
Powers can also be of Unlimited or Limited use. Unlimited powers can be used as many times throughout the game as the user pleases. Limited powers only have a set number of uses before they can be used anymore, however.
Bear in mind that powers may have other conditions that need to be adhered to. For example, Priests cannot protect themselves.

DEATH
Keep in mind that you can die at pretty much any time of the game. When a player dies, their role is revealed to all the other players, and they are no longer able to post in the main thread or interact with the game in any way (with rare exceptions).

FORBIDDEN THINGS:
1) Do not use "Who's Online" to see who is sending PMs.
I realise this is incredibly hard to enforce and difficult to detect, but still, have some honour. You're not playing for a prize so don't screw other people over. For the same reason, i'd recommend using "Hide Online Status" in your profile if you're a game player. You don't have to, but it'll protect you from violators of this rule.
2) Don't take judgements personally.
Manipulation, accusation, treachery, judgements and all things of the sort are all parts of this game - do not join the game if you feel you cannot handle these things. Quitting in the middle of a game because you can't stand the heat of the kitchen is very disruptive to the game as a whole, so don't even think about it. On that note, though...
3) Keep it civil.
Manipulation, accusation, treachery, and judgements may well be parts of this game, but outright insulting another player isn't. This isn't the place to bring your grudges or spiteful streaks.
4) Don't make an ass out of u and me when it comes to rules or roles.
If you're not sure how something works, ASK! I'm not going to bite your head off, so if you need clarifications on any rules then it's better to ask me, by thread or PM, on how it works instead of assuming and making an illegal move because you didn't know.
5) If you die or are not an active player, please stay out of the game thread.
The main game thread is for living, active players - if you are killed or are simply a spectator, please come to this topic to post so that the players don't have to sift through clutter posts. You are allowed one "ghost post" to fire off a throwaway comment, if you wish, but that is all.

The rules are not set in stone until the game begins - feel free to pick at or critique anything you feel can be improved! The game is here for the players to enjoy and it's not doing a very good job if it's not enjoyable.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 05:38:06 pm by Luminar »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: - MAFIA II PLANNING TOPIC -
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:13:05 pm »
Perhaps you should make a vigilante faction too? Like, maybe have two or three people in it?

They can go around disabling people's powers and sparking off conflicts between the two main factions. And once ever two cycles they could kill someone or something...

I dunno, just throwing ideas out there.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:32:42 pm »
INQUISITOR ROLES

Inquisitor Roles are centered around gathering information. They can detect information about other players and use it accordingly depending on which faction they are. Mafia would use information to detect cops and other threats to eliminate them, Townsfolk would try to figure out who the mafia are and expose further evidence to convince others to lynch them.

COP/CROOKED COP
Aff: TOWNSFOLK/MAFIA
Power Type: Active, Unlimited
May investigate a player every night to learn their role/affiliation.
Bent Cops working for mafia will only learn the role as they do not need affiliation.

Subtypes
STUPID COP
Will always get wrong results.
Townsfolk Stupid Cops will see townsfolk as being mafia with mafia roles.
Mafia Stupid Cops will see a random incorrect role.
Thinks they are a regular COP.

CHIEF OF POLICE
Aff: TOWNSFOLK
Works like a regular cop, except knows who all the other cops are.
Crooked Cops will show up as innocent - they must be investigated to discover their true colours.

DETECTIVE
Will be able to see all past and current interactions made with and by the investigated player.

PSYCHIC
Power Type: Passive
Will learn the role/affiliation of anyone who targets them.

CORONER
Power Type: Active, Limited
Can inspect dead players to learn the identity of the killer.
Does not learn role or affiliation, only the name of the killer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 03:25:45 pm by Luminar »

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:47:09 pm »
KILLER ROLES

Killer Roles have a capacity to kill in their own right, as their name obviously implies. Killers are never on the Mafia's side.

VIGILANTE
May kill a player of their choice during the night.

BOMBER
Plants a bomb on the target which will explode at the end of the next night, killing the target.
Anyone who interacts with a player holding a bomb will take the bomb. The player holding the bomb will also pass it onto anyone they interact with.
If a player is protected when it explodes, then the bomb is disarmed and returns to the bomber so they can plant it again.
Bombs persist after a bomber's death.
If the Bomber targets someone a Sneak is hiding behind, the Sneak gets the bomb.

(Clarification on Death and Bombs)
If someone kills a bomb holder, the killer takes the bomb.
If a bomb holder kills someone, the bomb is considered to have been passed before the kill, and is therefore defused.

LUNATIC
If killed during the night phase, their killer dies with them.

PSYCHOPATH
Aff: NONE
Power Type: Various
One-man faction. Wins the game by killing everyone else (excluding one person - if the game comes down to 2 people left and one of them is the psycho, the psycho wins.) Neither Mafia nor Townsfolk can win until they have eliminated the Psychopath if one is present.
There is only ever one psychopath at most in the game.
Can kill once per night.
Shows up as VIGILANTE/TOWNSFOLK if investigated.
Will instantly kill Mad Scientists and Burglars if targeted by them.
Is unaffected by Lunatic or Paranoid Madman's powers.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:21:59 pm by Luminar »

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:05:22 pm »
No, i'm typing up the other role types. I've got files for Inquisitor, Killer, Protector, Influencer, Disruptor and Miscellaneous. But feel free to talk, I had the Inquisitor and Killer files typed up before I made this topic.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:09:15 pm »
So, like I was saying earlier, so you think we will have enough people for all of these roles or will some of them just not get filled?
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 09:17:02 pm »
PROTECTOR ROLES

Protector roles involve preventing death during the night phase.

PRIEST
AFF: TOWNSFOLK
Can bless a target during the night - the target will not die during the night for any reason.
Cannot protect themselves.

Subtypes
PIOUS PRIEST
In addition to death protection, the target cannot be interacted with at all.
Believes they are a normal priest.

OVERZEALOUS PRIEST
Protects target from death but also prevents them from using their power that night.
Believes they are a normal priest.

SUPERHERO
Cannot be killed at night.

CAMPER
Can choose to protect themselves from all interaction for one night.
May not use their power on consecutive nights.

SNEAK
AFF: TOWNSFOLK/MAFIA
Power Type: Active, Semi-Limited
Can choose to "hide behind" another player each night.
Any powers directly targeted at the sneak will fail.
Any powers targeted at the sneak's target will also affect the sneak.
Power is effectivley unlimited except for the sneak may not hide behind the same person twice in one game.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 06:19:42 pm by Luminar »

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:15:05 pm »
Holy... this thing could get really complex and rather interesting to play/watch if we get enough people to allow for all these roles to be not only viable but also filled.
Virus Buster.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:53:37 pm »
DISRUPTOR ROLES

Disruptors are involved in messing with other player's power usage and roles. They are the most capable of creating chaos and confusion for both sides.

TAXI DRIVER
Picks 2 targets - Powers used on one target that night will be applied to the other and vice versa.

Subtypes
BUS DRIVER
Picks 2 targets - the targets will have their powers switched with each other for the night.

BURGLAR
AFF: MAFIA
Takes away target's power permanently. Becomes able to use it for himself.

FORGER
If a FORGER's target is investigated that night, they will show up as Mafia, of a role of the Forger's choice.
May not select THE BOSS as the framed role.

SCARY CLOWN
AFF: TOWNSFOLK/MAFIA
Scares a target, preventing them using their power that night.

MAD SCIENTIST
Messes up a target. Result depends on target's role:
(list posted later)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:31:30 pm by Luminar »

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 11:10:22 pm »
INFLUENCER ROLES

Influencers mostly center around manipulating the lynch poll in some way.

MAYOR
If someone is about to be lynched, the Mayor can use their power to stop the lynch. The night phase will then begin, with no lynch death.
Only able to call their power to save someone about to be lynched. (Must call power in PM like all other roles.)
Cannot save the same person from a lynch twice.
Cannot save themselves from a lynch.

CON ARTIST
Able to control another player's vote during the day phase.
(Must call power in PM like all other roles.)
(Must call the target, and who the target is to vote for.)

SPIRIT MEDIUM
When killed at night, the Spirit Medium can PM me with who they want to vote for in the next day's lynch poll.
They may not interact with the game beyond this however, and are otherwise "dead" as normal.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:35:27 pm by Luminar »

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 11:20:58 pm »
OTHER ROLES

Roles that don't quite fit into the other categories.

THE BOSS
Leader of the Mafia. Responsible for PMing the mafia vote to the game moderator.
Shows up as innocent when investigated.
Must name a fellow mafia member to take over as boss, should the boss die.
New bosses forfeit their old role powers.

TOWN TRAITOR
AFF: SPECIAL
Power Type: N/A
Found as a Townsfolk, but works for the Mafia.
Has another fully-functional townsfolk role alongside their traitor status.
Knows who the mafia members are, but they don't know who the traitor is.
Must protect the mafia by any means available.
If the Mafia wins, the traitor wins too.
If the Townsfolk win, the traitor loses.

MAFIA TRAITOR
AFF: SPECIAL
Found as a Mafia, but works for the Townsfolk.
Has another fully-functional mafia role alongside their traitor status.
Fellow mafia members don't know they're a traitor.
Power: Is able to send a letter to their target informing them of the identity of the current mafia boss.
(Power MUST be done through GM and not direct to the player!)
If the Townsfolk win, the traitor wins too.
If the Mafia wins, the traitor loses.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 11:21:32 pm »
Whew.. that's all of them. x_x" Any qualms or questions so far?

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 12:50:41 am »
I don't like powers that stop lynches or let dead people continue playing.
Once you're dead you're dead!

In fact, most of the supernatural powers are a little too good.

I also dislike the coroner.  That is far too powerful of an investigation tool.

Despite how easy we made it look actually killing someone, without a hitch, is very difficult if everyone is paying attention to what is going on.

Inquisitor Role:
Peeping Tom
Aff: Townfolk
Once a night this player is able to investigate the interactions of another player, for that night.  They, however, can not reveal the findings of their investigation, due to the shameful nature of it's acquisition.  They may act on it, but not reveal it. (I.E.:  'I think XYZ killed 123' is okay, but 'I saw XYZ with 123 the night he was murdered' is not.)  Upon the Peeping Tom's death, the results of his previous investigations will be found among his belongings and publically revealed, unless he had been BURGLED.  A Burglar that robs a Peeping Tom will acquire the previous results, be able to investigate, and reveal the result to FELLOW MAFIA, but still not in "public."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 12:59:47 am by Slartibartfast »

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 03:27:29 am »
The thing is with the coroner, it doesn't actually reveal role/affil - just identity. So say if the mafia and a vigilante resulted in 2 deaths in one night.. lets say you were the mafia murderer and I the vigilante. They'd be torn between which to pick - if they picked my victim as their one to investigate, all that'd be revealed is simply "Luminar did it.". No role or anything - so unless they somehow collaborated with other roles they'd be stuck for whether it was a mafia kill or something else. Plus Coroner is limited, too. I generally avoid giving strict limits in the planning phase - I usually see what kind of numbers we get first then work out how many shots the powers should have from there. Unless it's a strong role like necro, burglar, and maybe Mind Reader (not decided yet) which always gets one shot and one shot only.

I'm assuming Spirit Medium was a paticular point of ire to you... would just one day be fine instead, or conditions such as requiring to be killed specifically by either lynch or murder? Murder being the trigger would make more sense.. think of a vengeful spirit trying to avenge it's murder. It can hardly do that against a whole crowd.. plus with an added restriction of being pretty much only allowed to drop the vote and then leave, no discussing or anything, would it be less imba then?

Eh, and isn't Peeping Tom just Detective with an extra restriction?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 03:35:46 am by Luminar »

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 04:40:11 am »
Wouldn't they always check the Mafia murder body so they could lynch them?

The Mafia strives to kill people to rock the vote.  Having them come back makes it nearly impossible to win.

Yes, but I thought of it 2 days ago and liked the flavor text.   :P

On the whole, I think the possiblity of this many roles will confuse players.  You've seen what happens to confused players.

The only new role I'm 100% sold on is the bus driver.  It's flavor appropriate, appears balanced, and it could be hilarious to see in action.