Author Topic: All of Maxis working on Spore?  (Read 4058 times)

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
All of Maxis working on Spore?
« on: July 15, 2005, 08:53:53 am »
I'm probably mistaken or read incorrectly but I remmember reading somewhere that all of Maxis is working on Spore. That would mean that even the 3D modellers, Skinners and other content creators are working on Spore. So what I really would like to know is WHAT exactly are they doing to help with the project? The game is supposed to need lots of programmers to be made, not content creators. Has Will Wright forced them to code? Are they just there to make Creatures, Buildings, Vehicles and Plants in the editor 8 hours a day?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • GREAT SCOTT!!
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: All of Maxis working on Spore?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 08:59:08 am »
Probably.

Offline Reiden Argrock

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 09:31:51 am »
Even though it will be up to the players to create alot of their own content, I imagine their is still alot of things that will be put into the game by Maxis.  All the graspers and such that were parts Will put onto his creature, while everything could be manipulated, if you want to have lots of creative options, their will have to be lots of base parts to be manipulated.  Also all the things like spears and the campfire and drums, all have to be designed and added to the store, I havn't read anywhere that said weapons and other store items would be customizable, which is a shame but, I'll love the game anyway.  Plus their gonna have to create alot of pre made creatures to populate the universe so that it won't be lifeless at release.  Wouldn't that be fun :), just sitting around making creatures and getting paid :).... I wish I had that job.

Anyway, while alot of the content will be player made, I'm sure their will still be alot of Maxis-made content as well.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 12:23:05 pm »
All of Maxis can't possibly be working on Spore.  They're still developing the sims 2 for the DS and for the PSP if I'm not mistaken.  They're also working on the sims 2 expansion packs I think.

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 02:30:36 pm »
what about sims 3 for the next gens...? won't there be a simcity 5 at some point too?

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 02:43:49 pm »
you got it from steve. its in the same post as the one about spore possibly coming to xbox 360.
this post here:
http://gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=209.0

2) Nearly the entire Maxis team is working on Spore full time right now.

so it isn't everyone... i mean nightlife is coming out in fall for the sims 2 and all the ports they're making for the sims 2 to consoles and portibles and cell phones, so not everyone but nearly...
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Snooty

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • Snooty Spore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 10:19:02 am »
When I read that, I knew that wasn't true. They actually started with a very small team. Here's a part from an interview:

So thatís the game youíre working on with the smaller team?
Yeah, when Maxis moved I kept a separate group, we pulled out of Maxis and we moved two months ago from Walnut Creek to Emeryville, so we have our own little satellite studio now.

That must be quite different to Maxis around the time they moved to Redwood Shores.

Yeah, at that time we had around 200 people and five or six teams. Itís very different to the kind of startup thing where you know everybody and you work very closely together on a very hard problem. Iím kind of getting back to that kind of very focused development with a very small and very talented team.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 03:23:58 am »
So do you think their will be a way to make your own new "parts" based on altered orginal Maxis parts?

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 05:25:58 am »
Maxis doesn't make The Sims expansions, btw.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 11:17:29 am »
I think they would have to make most of the tribal stuff and maybe some of the UFO tools.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 05:52:23 pm »
Maxis doesn't make The Sims expansions, btw.

They don't?  Damn, I never knew that.  Who makes them?

Offline sgore

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 05:52:57 pm »
no they make the expantions, diffrent teams at the company do diffrent things...
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 02:09:35 pm »
Im sure most of Maxis is working on this though.