Author Topic: Zombie fighting tactics  (Read 43499 times)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Zombie fighting tactics
« on: April 08, 2007, 02:58:15 pm »
As the topic implies, what would you preferred tactic (or overall strategy for that matter) be to best counter an zombie outbreak?

My tactic relies heavily on the hope that at least a couple a some what capable force with proper transportation (choppers, APCs etc.) are alive to clean up the city streets. Tanks and road blocks would stop the zombies from getting out (as well as survivors but I will get to that in a minute) and there by preventing further outbreaks (if the infection is localized). As before mentioned soldiers in APC's or choppers would move in and take out as many zombies as they can while they spot and help survivors until proper evacuation can be secured.

Discus.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie fighting tactics
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 03:00:13 pm »
I arm myself with a frying pan and cave in the skull of any zombies that get near. I will naturally be somewhere high up with lots of stairs, so zombies can't get to me easily.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 03:02:21 pm »
Go out on the attack as soon as possible armed with a chainsaw, sword, or any other instrument capable of decapitating in one stroke. The longer the zombies are allowed to persist for, the more people they'll infect, so it's better to kill them off or at least trim down the numbers as early as possible to curtail the situation getting even worse.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 03:03:01 pm »
Kill myself.
Seriously, if that really happened, and it was uncontrollable and the military didn't destroy them, that is what I might do.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 03:04:13 pm »
Unless you're talking a Dawn of the Dead style outbreak where all corpses become Zombies shortly after death. You'd just be adding to the problem.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 03:05:38 pm »
Unless you're talking a Dawn of the Dead style outbreak where all corpses become Zombies shortly after death. You'd just be adding to the problem.

Yeah dude stop being selfish.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 03:07:07 pm »

Yeah dude stop being selfish.
Teehee, still, I wouldn't be able to stand going near any of those things in real life. I would spaz out and still get killed.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 03:07:12 pm »
Where's Holstein Cow to tell us about his skill with his dual Desert Eagles and Hanzo steel?
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 03:11:28 pm »
A base would have to be founded, with the following requirements:

Walls
No Tunnels Etc.
Longs of clear surrounding territory
Suppliies

Barbed wire, pits, mines, gun turrets, observations towers and the like would be a useful addition.

A society would have to be created where people would join in organise groups of 5 or so, and would have to hunt for certain supplies. The emphasis would not be on killing zombies in this. Agriculture would have to be developed, and learning preserved. All corpses would have to be burned. With ample security, saftey would be assured and no amount of Undead would break your defences.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 03:11:52 pm »
If I were in charge of co-ordinating the nationwide response:

Seal all borders, in and out. No goods, no people, no nothing. Shut down every single transport network immediately. Return all planes/trains/boats etc. to where they originated (if this is not possible, quarantine them until sure that no-one on them is infected). The only people allowed to move around the country would be the military and medically sanctioned personnel.

Mobilise the military and reserves, recall all foreign troops (again with medical checks), using all biochem equipment available. Enact a state of martial law, a curfew and a no-movement directive - enforced with extreme prejudice. Set up roadblocks on all major roads, and isolate major cities, strategic areas and key infrastructure. Make careful and controlled sweeps of these areas suspected of having infected until confirmation can be given that they are uninfected, using search and destroy tactics if necessary. If large populations of infected are found, withdraw and declare unsalvagable. Any captured infected would be medically examined under the heaviest security.

Require all civilians in an area to be checked medically. Create guarded enclaves in cities known to be uninfected and implement martial law at the local level. With urban areas known to be infected or otherwise declared unsalvagable, commence aerial bombardment of the area whilst introducing maximum security containment. Send in search and destroy teams afterwards to reduce any remaining numbers.

Lastly, once all major urban areas are either declared clean (and the proper defences set up) or dead, commence controlled sweeps of the countryside (this is the tricky part which may last for years).

If I were just me:

Seek help from the closest military groups or shut myself somewhere and prepare for a siege situation. Depends on where I was at the time. If I was in Oxford, I'd probably either stay in my flat (we don't call it "Fortress Bart's" for nothing - it's thickly fenced off and the buildings aren't easy to break into) or head to college (two entrances, both with heavy gates, all walls made out of extremely think stone). Think about supplies secondarily to shelter. If I were at home, I'd head out onto Dartmoor and climb up a tor.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 03:22:10 pm by Daxx »

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 03:15:16 pm »
I would open my displaying case and take out a couple of my lovely Katana Swords… Then go make some Zombie Shiskabab!

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 03:19:21 pm »
Well, I've got a crossbow, four shurikens, a katana, and access to a car.  I drive to an isolated corn farm in Kansas, where I would have a large supply of food (even though a steady diet of corn probably wouldn't be healthy for long, I can make the occasional food run to the nearest town), I would have the farmers rifle, and the undead would be visible from a long distance.  As stated earlier, I would be making food runs to town every now and then, so I figure after about twenty of those and picking off the zombies I see while I'm there, their numbers will be whittled down and I'll be able to move in on a more permanent basis (keeping the car gassed up for a getaway if necessary).  Then I find a CB radio and see if I can't call other survivors to join me.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 03:31:46 pm »
If I had an unlimited budget

I would create a large base. Surrounded by -

1. A thick titanium wall laced with kevlar
2. A wide river
3. A mile long plane of grass.
3.5. (In the centre of three) Half exposed under the grass, hidden flame throwers pointed upwards, with the flick of a switch I could create a wall of fire.
4. A second wall
4.5. Watchtowers with crazy amounts of all kinds of weapons (even supernatural)
5. A thick walled fortress with supplies for a century, several families (for the children, who will continue the human race)
6. At the very centre, under the most security, a nuke that I can activate to kill us all (even the zombies)

If I was me

Take refuge in the radio station on the top floor (seventh floor) of my local mall. It overlooks the malls main centre and is very near to a huge food and supplies store, a cell phone store (communication) an emergency exit, lifts and stairs (with very small steps a zombie would find hard to climb) and also has another floor on top to escape too.

That was fun! Got me in the mood for a zombie RP...
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 04:20:27 pm »
It is the written unwritten known by all rule.  That when fighting a zombie a shotgun must be used at all times. You may call it a boom stick. It's just not zombies if it isn't a shotgun.

One of the better places to choose is actually a prison. These buildings were built to keep people in, but they do a good job of keeping people out also. Prisons are designed so you can lock down certain sections if a breach does occur. And prisons are actually built to have people thrashing at their windows. Prisons and shotguns for all!
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 04:27:32 pm »
Nice idea for a Zombie movie:

A couple of people trying to survive a zombie attack in a prison, by teaming up with the inmates and guards… Who can you trust!!!