Author Topic: Morphing abilities of indivdual parts?  (Read 5325 times)

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Morphing abilities of indivdual parts?
« on: April 08, 2007, 12:54:01 pm »
When will Wright first showed off the his creature editor, we all were awed by the ability to mold the body itself. But did anyone observe if we could extend those same abilities to the individual parts, like wings or fins? It would be a pity that the only original thing would be the core body and the size of the parts. And for the vehicle editor? Could I make a core body, attach a weapon, and then warp said weapon?

-----

Common sense makes no sense as it is not commonly used!
( And thanks Alex for the sig!)

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Morphing abilities of indivdual parts?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 12:57:53 pm »
You can change the rotation, the width, the length, and the size, along with other features with the special spring part thing...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 01:02:15 pm »
You can change the rotation, the width, the length, and the size, along with other features with the special spring part thing...

But what about the shape of the part, like we can with the main body?
-----

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 01:04:45 pm »
THere are 400 parts for the creature alone.  If you don't like it, choose from 10 other parts that are similar...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 01:06:13 pm »
THere are 400 parts for the creature alone.  If you don't like it, choose from 10 other parts that are similar...

Say this aint So! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This has to be the most determinental news I have heard... a lack of available creativity...?!
-----

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 01:07:41 pm »
Not very much, but you can do things like make the claws wider apart, things like that.

This has to be the most determinental news I have heard... a lack of available creativity...?!

What are you talking about?
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 01:09:45 pm »
It's upsetting that there is a possibility of another tool, one what has been developed by the presence of a tool. Why the best creative functions are restricted, to only the core body... thats upsetting,
-----

Offline Lonemessiah

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 01:36:58 pm »
looking at the footage we have of the creature editor, it looks like you can stretch the limbs, and make them fatter/thinner, twist them etc. With limbs with more than one joint you seem to be able to alter the length of the limb before and after the joint. I doubt you can change the basic shape, but you will be able to morph it in many other ways
As usual this is just my opinion which has about as much factual content as the average episode of Red Dwarf.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 04:16:38 pm »
By the looks of the boat editor video, i suspect that you may pull several parts of the wing, or other creature part and sculpt it in any way you see fit. I remember the boat video that the player had many many options to choose from on the parts on the boat, like those bendable pikes(err...) and stuff.

Have no fear! I believe that the staff over at maxis are doing all that they can to please all the fans ;)

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 04:26:13 pm »
I think you all don't really get OmniOck's problem.

Of course you can change the size of eg. the feet, or set the toes further apart, but what if you wanted one specific foot, but with like 20 toes instead of the default number. Afawk, you can't.
Or what if you wanted a peanut shaped eye? Unless there is one, you can't have that.
Or what if you want to add a long horn to your creatures head, but the one you would want isn't straight enough. I don't think you would be able to rebend the horn to your needs (a bit risky, this example, because it still might be possible).

I, for my part, have already managed to cope with that restriction and I guess you'll have to as well sometime, OmniOck. Good luck with that.  :P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 04:28:42 pm by GrapeFruit »
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 04:28:55 pm »

Of course you can change the size of eg. the feet, or set the toes further apart, but what if you wanted one specific foot, but with like 20 toes instead of the default number. Afawk, you can't.
Or what if you wanted a peanut shaped eye? Unless there is be one, you can't have that.
Or what if you want to add a long horn to your creatures head, but the one you would want isn't straight enough. I don't think you would be able to rebend the horn to your needs (a bit risky, this example, because it still might be possible).

I, for my part, have already managed to cope with that restriction and I guess you'll have to as well sometime, OmniOck. Good luck with that.  :P

You can bend spikes at least, I did it with my Raptorpion.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 04:29:52 pm »

Or what if you wanted a peanut shaped eye? Unless there is be one, you can't have that.

You can bend spikes at least, I did it with my Raptorpion.

granted, but my point still stands
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 05:46:21 pm »
well... for the horn thing, i think you may sculpt it in any way... But of course if maxis does not bring the topics feature in the final product, I won't be sad or anything, as long as i get to play it ;D Besides 400 objects? sounds wonderful.

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 05:56:31 pm »
I just feel a tad upset. Consider that the abilities are available to the core body. But why is this functionality not given to the parts, which are fundamentally the same programmed materials....
-----

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 11:24:45 pm »
The parts are where all the detail is.  Otherwise we'd just be putting blobs on our blob and it would be really hard to make anything that doesn't look like a ballon animal.  Check out the videos, though.  The ways in which you can morph them offer an awful lot of room for creativity.  You can bend, squish, stretch, rotate, and each part can have it's own morph channels besides.  For instance, we've seen users control just how corkscrewy the little corkscrew decocation is. And the biggest part you will probably be adding, the limbs, actually can be sculpted much like the body. 

So the reason they behave differently is that you would want them to behave differently.  The body sculpting is good for gross overall shape of a creature, but offers little in the way of fine control of details.  For that, you use the parts. 
It's sort of got 3 levels of granularity,
  • the body, which can vary the greates in terms of shape, but no matter what you do you've got something pretty round
  • the limbs, which use joints instead of vertebrae for finer control, but more limited in overall shape
  • the parts, which are much more specialized, and offer more specific controls for adjusting, but no matter what you do you aren't going to be able to make an eye look like a hand.  This is actually good!  If it was like the body, you actually couldn't make anything that looked much like a hand or an eye, or a mouth...

I'm not sure what kind of shapes you have in mind to sculpt, but I imagine it would be easier to put together parts and limbs to make it than to attach another body-blob and sculpt that.

All that said, I can totally see being disappointed that some morph channel doesn't exist for the part I want to use, like how curled my claws should be or how wide or tall an eye is.

The thing that actually makes me sad, though, is that we haven't seen bifucating limbs since Buttface (GDC 2005 video).
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com