Author Topic: Meet The Robinsons  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Meet The Robinsons
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:59:25 am »
Family movie run again. This time just me and the two kids (4 and 8 ).

Disney tries, they really do, but they just don't seem to get it yet. This is a movie that appears to be specifically designed to have grandparents take their grandkids to. Like most kid's movies, there are adult-only references and humor scattered about, but at age 34, I noticed that I only got the jokes because I watched a lot of old movies growing up. The minimum age for a adult to get most if not all the subtle references would be 40. 20 and 30 somethings may not get the jokes.

What about the kids. Often a kids movie only needs to be active for a younger child to stay entranced. Put something on the screen that gets their attention and holds it. Most children's movies often have stuff going on in the background while the main story is being told. This movie goes out of its way to make sure your eyes never wander off the primary action (or inaction). While the 8yr old enjoyed the movie, questions afterward had me going it was a bit too advanced of a topic (more on that in a minute). The 4yr old was falling asleep during the 'action' sequences.

Without ruining a highly telegraphed plot, the movie covers a very difficult topic for movie makers to deal with, Time Travel. Science fiction fans will find themselves cringing at their need to suspend disbelief while even my 8yr old was going "But if he did that, then that wouldn't have happened." Disney tried, but they didn't pull it off. As will all time travel movie attempts, producers should look at Back To The Future and go, "Can I even get close"... Disney didn't

So what do you end up with:

A mediocre way to kill two hours. Kids old enough to understand the plot will question it heavily. Young children will be bored. 20 and 30 somethings may not understand the adult-references. 40+ will find the humor funny (though limited) and have an excuse to borrow the grandkids for a couple hours.

Now the movie can be seen in regular format or 3D. I did not go to see the movie in 3D for a few reasons. 1- I cost twice as much. 2- 3D movie technology has never been good enough for me to be willing to sit through it for 2 hours. 3- my kids don't like wearing glasses for very long.

Final verdict:
I give it a 6 out of 10. It didn't suck, but it wasn't great. Put it on your netflix rental list if you have kids.

-Lego

p.s. the 2007-made retro Mickey cartoon at the beginning was very well done. It was funny to see a movie intentionally made today to look (and sound) like a 1940's original.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 11:01:42 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
Re: Meet The Robinsons
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:57:12 pm »
I personally give it a 9/10 because it did rock. I am only 16, but when i saw it i was 15 and it was pretty good. I laughed alot and the graphics was good. They kept twisting the plot and that is what made me cringe to the seat.
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 03:30:22 pm »
It was way too predictable...
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 08:03:14 am »
I watched this on my Netflix last night and I really enjoyed it. It was pretty good and I loved the hidden jokes and references. Especially the Tom Selleck thing. The time travel thing did have some moments of .. huh? I don't see how you can ever have your current self meet your future self but then again, it's a movie. If you haven't seen it, it is worth a look.