Author Topic: (new creature) dionaea alienus laqueus (DiAlLa)  (Read 2282 times)

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
(new creature) dionaea alienus laqueus (DiAlLa)
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:34:26 am »
Just mucking about with creatures that are possible using the parts we've seen in the creature editors. I made a cool ant/spider type thing, but then I had this idea; Possibly not practicle or 100% creatable, but a nifty idea.

(they would look better in-game, I did this in a few seconds, and obviously the limbs nearest the viewer arn't shown)

Basicly, it's a creature cammo'd to like like a plant.
The DiAlLa consist of a very tough exo-skeliton, several arms, several tenticles, several mouths, a few 'graspers', several sensors and one foot. The foot acts much like the base os a slug/snail, and leaves a slime trail when it moves, which after being exposed to air for a while becomes very sticky.

They take their appearence loosly from another type of plant on their indiginouse world, which has brightly coloured flowers surrounded by long vines, and a tough spikey base, meening shorter animals have only the vines and the fruit they sometimes bare to snack on, leaving the flowers for flying creatures.

The Dialla has a very sow motabolism, allowing it to survive a long time without food, and stay still for long periods of time. If a small animal comes by and the creature hasn't fed, it either attacks (using spitting devices from it's mouths), plucks them from the sticky slime once they become immobile using it's tenticles, or bends one of it's mouths down and eats.

It's sensor array can be found between the spikes on the lower half of the body, which alternate between light detectors, nostrils and ears. They also have other sensors around their mouths, allowing them to locate what they are attacking easier, and get a view of far away.

It is a very bad idea to attack one of theese creatures unless you have the brawn to do so. Their tough exoskeliton allows them to withstand heavy hits, some of their tenticles (the ones which can't grasp) have damaging claws, they can spit quite a long distance from their mouths and, no matter where you stand around them, they can see you and probably attack you.

They aren't exactly social creatures - they can hunt alone if need be and can reproduce asexually if in danger, but they can communicate with each other through very low soundwaves through the ground - telling others where they are and their mood (they can also detec movements in the ground and cease this communication to confuse cirtain prey near-by), and high soundwaves if they have emergancys to communicate (I'm being attacked, I see a potential threat, etc). The dialla to have a tendancy to stick together none the less, since they work best in forest conditions where they may blend in.

Since their sense of sight is limited mostly to simple shapes and shades, they may become confused between their own species and the flora they take the image of, often with comical results.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:42:03 am by GCool »

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
Re: (new creature) dionaea alienus laqueus (DiAlLa)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:09:32 pm »
awesome creature
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:52:48 pm »
neat

Offline Belblind

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:32:39 pm »
Yeah cool creature! Well, I'm drunk butI can tell, that I don't want them on my planet, because they mean too much danger for every creature living on Acomo! ^^

Offline Aquadorean

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • " I'm just going to make you more COMPACT!! "
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 08:49:16 pm »
very interesting

how will you do it on spore?
id imagine it would be pretty hard with those tentacles
Ihre Seele brennt für Ewigkeit in meinem gut des Leidens!

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:10:30 am »
Well, I only used parts i've seen in the creature editor, so I imagine it'd be easy.

There are tenticles. In one of the most recent videos, when he goes on the limb section, you see a tentacle or two at the bottom.

They would basicly be put at the end of arms, about 3 per arm, with one of the 4-part circular mouths as the flower. I'm not sure if they can spit, but i'm pretty cirtain they would. Another arm or 2 may have a 3part grasper rather than the mouth.
At the end of some of the tenticles I would use the tenticle grasper (which are on some of the videos showing graspers, so I assume they're like octopus arms, probably put in for the nauceans =P), other would have weapons. Over all, they all reach down to the ground (longer than shown here) to make attacking simple. There wouldn't be many arms, but i'd try to make it look fairly tree-like, in that the top would branch out into several...branches.

The 'foot' is shown in the newer GDC ones, it's probably put in just 'cause of lack of actual feet. The spikes on the bottom could either be weapons, or protection plates (depending on what parts there are, they don't matter so much) or even decoration. The eyes, ears and nostrils would be taken from the simpeler versions of whats available, so their not too obvious. I think theres a cartoon eye which is just a black dot, for example, that would be shrunk down to a small size and put where needed.

After that, i'd muck about with the texture editor to see how plant like I could make it look. When he's done, open up the flora editor and make a close a copy of the creature as I can.

This picture (done in creature editor) basicly shows what he would look like with only 2 arms;

Thanks for the posts, probably the most replys to a creature i've ever got XD

They wouldn't be much of a threat on a planet, because they would move so slow (they have no feet and would be very heavy = snail pace) they wouldn't be able to attack your cities etc. They would mostly be a danger to anything with a memory short enough to forget what they are, any animals wandering into the forest, or animals desperate to eat/kill something. They would be a reason not to go into the woods, though, and would put a new spin on shakespeare's works XD

Sorry for the first drawing, their kind of hard to draw... My skils are normally alot better =] OH, and sorry for the spelling, it's awefull, I know.