Author Topic: Who here DOESN'T like online multiplayer ?  (Read 10625 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Who here DOESN'T like online multiplayer ?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 06:07:24 pm »
I really love local multiplayer. There's nothing more fun in a game then getting three of your buddies and playing together.

Online multiplayer I'm not a huge fan of. It can be a lot of fun when played with the right people, but there are a lot of jerks/idiots out there, not to mention some games have terrible lag.

I think it's a bit silly to say you don't like local multiplayer. Like, you are against having friends or something. :-\

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 08:28:22 pm »
Takes me back to the original N64 marketing campaign where it would pretend to have comments from an assortment of people. Such as

The greatest thing since I created the universe
 - God

When Mario kart came out there was.

Four player who needs that?
 - Scott Nomates.

In any case local multiplayer is great if your friends start using cheap tactics you can punch them in the face.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 08:29:32 pm »
Yeah you know what, I should clarify, online multiplayer is out for me.

Local multiplayer with some friends is ALWAYS in. That's how games are meant to be played right there.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 08:31:26 pm »
Yeah.  I just don't think I want to play online though.  Too full of people using three lettered insults about your orientation...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 08:43:47 pm »
I don't know what games you guys are playing! Even CS, hub of idiots, is about 75% normal guys, 25% dummies, and of those dummies, a very small fraction actually do something that ticks me off. Hell, WoW is even worse than CS for attracting idiots, and I met a lot of nice people in that game. I guess I've just learned to not let a jerk get to me or something, because I hardly ever have the problems you guys are talking about.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 08:53:16 pm »
I'm not sure how many people are playing on a typical CS map at one time but for the sake of argument lets say 8 people at one time. with the percentage you gave that means you will get around 2 jerks in every game. 2 people acting like tools thats going to really ruin your game experience probably only take 1 to annoy you but when there is maybe 2 of them then thats got to suck.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 09:02:47 pm »
Actually it's more like 24 people, which would mean 6 idiots. But idiots don't necessarily ruin games. Some of them just say stupid stuff in chat now and then, and they trash talk. So what do I do about them? Well, if they direct anything at me, I laugh at them, and use one of the many "grats, you win the internet" types of phrases around. Maybe they whine about how someone's being cheap with an awp or something. That's an easy one, you just tell them that if they want to win, they should use one, too. Infact, most of what these douchebags do is verbal, and it never bothers me, because it's text.

Then there's the very rare hacker or exploiter, and that only annoys me when they attempt to shut down the game (other times, I treat it like a challenge, and every kill against them is sweet, sweet victory). With VAC on most servers, these guys are getting scarcer by the day, and most servers have admins present to ban them. If there are no admins, everyone just leaves the server, and finds another one in a couple minutes. It isn't a big hassle.

Dealing with idiots is easy if you chose to not let them get to you. If you get riled up, of course you're going to hate playing online.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 09:04:58 pm »
6 idiots per game see thats where it gets sad. Thats enough to get a small community of crap being hurled at you.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 09:07:08 pm »
Did you read my post? Nearly all of these idiots are harmless if you make them harmless. If you get worked up, they'll get to you and you'll hate playing, but if you just realize that they've got poop for brains, you can rise above them and just quiet them via headshots.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 09:13:23 pm »
of course i read that but it still doesn't prevent things like cheaters which you wont always be able to show up by defeating.

Prime example would be the issue of snaking in Mario Kart DS its a long debate I'm pretty sure Nintendos official stance is you aren't really ment to be able to snake but people keep trying to claim it as a legit strategy and use it no matter how good you are you wont catch a snaker and it's hard enough finding Mario Kart games as it is the snaker just ruins the fun and often you get people dropping out when they are losing (which if a snaker is around people do drop out even more).

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 11:07:35 am »
I like online but i do get very angry when devs focus so much to the online portion that they just *forget* splitscreen

Crackdowns freaking retarded. Online and system link but no splitscreen. Good way to milk people in the same household of every penny they have just to play together
NEVER argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with exprience

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 12:05:17 pm »
In any case local multiplayer is great if your friends start using cheap tactics you can punch them in the face.

There's no such thing as "cheap"

If you want to play online, you've got to accept that glitches are part of the game.

Admittedly, made-up rules can be fun sometimes: "Let's use nothing but Beam Swords" or "Let's not use blocks" or "Let's both play as Dan." But there are a time and a place for those, and that is not the internet.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 12:34:32 pm »
no beam swords!!! BLASPHEMY

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 01:32:43 pm »
Lurk, for posting that article, I hereby request to have your babies. Whenever is convenient for you.

That article is difficult to sum up, though. When I try to explain it to people who call something "cheap" in a game I play, it's hard to find the right words, but I usually just laugh at them, and forget about trying to help them out.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 02:01:06 pm »
Lurk, I love your article! But still I feel no love for you...

I personally am a very social person, that's when I'm most happy is around friends/family, etc...So whenever I need some alone time, video games is my thing, and I want to be doing it by myself. But yeah, I love playing games with other people; splitscreen, online co-op, Gears death matches, Wii sports...So I guess there's a balance for me.