Author Topic: Who here DOESN'T like online multiplayer ?  (Read 10664 times)

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
Who here DOESN'T like online multiplayer ?
« on: April 03, 2007, 06:27:23 am »
I ask this question consider that I'm not a multiplayer type of guy. Most games have got an extensive multiplayer portion, and some only exists to only be played online.

But whatever happened to the single player experience ? Most games have very short singleplayer, thus making it a very dull game if you are not into online multiplayer (Gears of War is a great example).

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Who here DOESN'T like online multiplayer ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 08:38:08 am »
Ah, hello.

I don't like multiplayer and people give me crap for it all the time. Like, literally insult me and call me names.

Does that fall under 'ironic'? ::)

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 08:52:54 am »
Multiplayer sucks.  My cousin used to be fun and cool and awesome, but she discovered WoW and has become a zombie ever since.  She seriously forgets to eat sometimes even, and now works in a low paying job at the nearby Starbucks, instead of becoming an artist like she would have...  >:(
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline smurfslayer

• Centipede Crackerjack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 09:38:53 am »
It really all depends on the game and how the multiplayer is implemented. I've played some amazing online multiplayer games but at the same time I've played some horrible ones. Also, I don't really like MMOs. It's a good concept but I have to play one I enjoy.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 09:47:50 am »
I hate mulptiplayer, especially mmogs, I want to play a game, not farm the same monster for hours (mmogs have more framing than in Harvest Moon) or be killed by someone who's spend hours killing the same stuff over and over again and now has better stuff than me!!!!  >:(
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 10:22:01 am »
When it comes to RPGs, MMOs just make more money. Single player RPGs will never die completely, but they certainly have become a little less frequent.

As far as FPS and RTS games, multiplayer is added because facing human opponents, who do different things every time you play them, adds far more replayability to a game than anything a developer could add. More replayability means more value, which makes us multiplayer gamers nice 'n' happy.

And while you might say that some games are only for multiplayer and that makes their single player experience, if it exists at all, suffer greatly, I could say the exact same about the many single player games with a tacked on multiplayer that's good for about a half hour.

It's just different strokes, really. Single player is great for story telling and having an experience that the developers intended (which is usually for the better), and multiplayer is great for hectic, challenging gameplay that's different every time you play it.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:31:47 am »
I don't like multiplayer and people give me crap for it all the time. Like, literally insult me and call me names.
QFT

Especially on games where X-Box owners can join the server (This is comming from a PC players perspective) I alos hate games whichhave such an annoying 'leet' culture, like starcraft, people look at your zero score and simply assume you've never played the game before, rather than the much more probable situation where your starcraft acount was deleted because yuo left it idel for a year.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 11:37:18 am »
Multiplayer's great when you're actually playing against one of the Few Real People in the world. I'll pass on playing against abusive figments of my imagination, though.

Splitscreen Multiplayer/+
Online Multiplayer/-
Friend System/
Random Matchup/--
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:39:53 am by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 12:12:45 pm »
i have so much memory`s of singleplay...but multiplayer...no not really

it is fun sometimes especialy with friends but most of the time its just annoying

and single play does have more to offer

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 01:29:43 pm »
It's nice to play real people, I like it. Yeah there are dumb people out there but even the dumb people can give you a good challenge. I rather play worms multiplayer then single player any day.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 01:42:10 pm »
Online will never replace having somebody right next to you. NEVER!

But I don't think it's horrible. It can be very fun...in some cases. The only thing that makes it annoying are the jerks who find some weird thing to do and basically destroy any fun in the game. Then you get called a newb because you use traditional methods to play, rather than "Subro air hop!11".
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 01:51:58 pm »
woohoo!!! the subro air hop!...

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »
The risk of running into idiots in a multiplayer game is the same as when you walk down the street, but you don't stay in your house alone all the time, do you? I think that's probably the worst reason to skip multiplayer. If you don't like how the games are structured online, cool. If you dislike the repitition of something like CS, no problem. But letting a few lamers get in the way of good times? That's not right.

Offline Henqix

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 03:40:47 pm »
I have nothing against online multiplayer but I tend to suck at it, but I prefer singleplayer games anyway.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 05:10:21 pm »
Multiplayer sucks.  My cousin used to be fun and cool and awesome, but she discovered WoW and has become a zombie ever since.

She should have become an Orc instead.

<.<
>.>

Multiplayer is cool as long as you can avoid people who exploit a glitch claiming it to be part of the gameplay.