the sword that also works as a pen
the sword that also works as a pen, but can shoot lightning

Author Topic: graid  (Read 52380 times)

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: graid: Al Akshir Esh Oclus!
« Reply #240 on: September 17, 2011, 05:09:31 pm »
yup, but both sides had a special weapon of sorts. Look carefully and you'll notice it's about an even fight.

and for the record, no, that is not just a list of names, and yes, I do have the outlines of their cultures and characters.
Chardineal, for example, was from Nuinngual, and the earlier mention Rathaljiorm rules from Graeltr.

the achara largely stayed out of the war, but as the chart shows one major pack sided with Coessus, for reasons unclear. they proved instrumental in the campaigns of Patchete, where the jungles are thick.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #241 on: September 18, 2011, 04:26:43 am »
Regardless, I'd hate to be on the frontlines of that war, whichever side I may be on.  ;D

Any info on those that didn't join the conflict, their opinions?

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 18, 2011, 01:07:16 pm »
What exactly does "Al Akshir Esh Oclus" mean again? It sounds like Arabic.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Thulithotle
« Reply #243 on: September 18, 2011, 08:13:13 pm »
I didn't say.
it means, roughly "In ending I return to Oclus"

It's an Ending oath to Oclus the shaper, who "granted death to the stone."

it is found in Uthumasad, a city built around it's gleaming 'corpse'.  followers of Oclus believe it the holiest sight on Earthsky.

modern science yields little. the entity shows nothing under magnification, and cannot be moved. one thing they did find: massive amounts of radio waves emit constantly from the carcass, so much as to disrupt communication to Uthumasad. all in all though, it seems to be an inert, anomalous mass.

just don't get too close: there are...rumors.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 18, 2011, 09:53:59 pm »
...Why did the name of the topic suddenly change to Thulithotle in your post?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 19, 2011, 02:56:27 am »
I smell CROSSOVER!   ;D

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2011, 06:29:03 pm »
it actually has many names. Uthumasan graid call it Oclus.

the name Thulithotle comes from strange sightings by star watchers of the Machy. (if you didn't get the "their totally Aztecs" thing)
it's full name being Thulithotle-Yalerotopec

It seems morning stars aren't the only massive balls hanging down from a Graidient's exoskeleton.
huh, I think maybe Theave (a rather undeveloped character right now. he's keataus' mute bodyguard. he has a skin condition) is the only graid who uses something like a morningstar. They explode on impact.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:31:36 pm by Crazen »
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Graid: Ver ech Eras agus Yrasslrmoch
« Reply #247 on: October 30, 2011, 04:58:13 pm »

first (very) rough draft of the prologue of the follow up (though really its the original story)

End of the fourth age of Earthsky, far North.

You are lost

“I will find the way through"

What did you come here for?

The being known as Erasucus trudged through the snow. It was right. He was lost. The only sight was miles of untouched ice and rock in all directions. This was the land even the ancients had never seen.
   But he knew he must come here. The whispers of the earth demanded it. Though the mountains where impassable and the sleet and storms never ceased to scream, they did not faze him.  His body pained, but his mind felt nothing.

The ridge narrowed. He could see the faded outline of a summit through the haze. He turned toward it, and the storm seemed to yield. No question this was where he must go.  As he marched, Era did not mean to consider the past. He did not think of what had happened to him. He did not think of what he had done.

What of them? Why do you still search for them?

The seventh was gone.  He was the sixth. The fifth was meaningless. The fourth disappeared. The third was gone. The second was finally gone as well. The first was something else now, beyond him. And after all, the murmur had never said...

"Yes, they are meaningless now, save the first. I will move on"

The storm had entirely died out around him, leaving silence. Through the clouds the faint signs of light could be discerned. The murmur directed his movements

Good, now we can go back, come what will

Era ignored it. The path ended abruptly into a sheer cliff face, but the outcropping that formed the peak was just forty feet above him. He withdrew his hook and scanned for a hold. It wasn't hard; the ice had been packed solid for centuries.  He sunk it into the face, and it held firm. He planted his foot firmly against the wall. And the world exploded.
The storm writhed with the whole weight of the sky. Era’s feet where swept out from under him. He managed to dig his shiv into the ice, stopping just moments from being swept from the precipice.  Struggling into a low crouch, and reached out and stabbed the wall, and began to climb.
With every step, the Earth grew angrier, this contempt of its limits. But Era was, in this moment, even more tenacious than the iron will of nature, and as he reached the cusp of the summit, the storm exerted its last howl before fading.
Era examined the horizon; crown of the world. 

“Here it is”

So why are you here?

“To wake a death”
Era raised his hand. The lighting came down. A screech and a rumble echoed through the peaks.

Something did wake, from somewhere deep. and it was colossal. the ice crumbled. The creature rose effortlessly through the peaks. Its snakelike head, gleaming with countless pale eyes, lined with Era’s steely gaze.

“Nyvrslng, eternal rime, Beast spirit of north! I am your fate!”
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
Re: graid: Ver ech Eras agus Yrasslrmoch
« Reply #248 on: October 30, 2011, 06:46:40 pm »
Vivid imagery. I like it a lot. Looking forward to more!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 30, 2011, 08:03:20 pm »
Sweet, sweet prose, ya got there, Crazen! The pacing was great and the emotions, spot on. :)

Also...

Epic Mount FTW!   8)

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2011, 03:46:37 am »
started making a timeline. I will not use actual dates, because given the scale involved, that would be really, really hard. mostly it's just so I can precede each little anecdote with a rough chronological place.

ooh, this is the first little work I've posted that's used Rcalde or Keataus. some of my favorites amongst my characters, as it is.

sixth age

Rcalde staggered to his feet, and took another step.

“Why do you stand.” Spoke Keataus blandly, unloading another round into his chest, forcing him back down again.

Rcalde lurched forward. The pain was almost gone now as he struggled toward his assailant.
He choked out a reply, “I still h-have….”  But no words actually came. His speech was gone, throat seared by the fire.

“You can’t hope to kill me and you can't hope to live, so why do you rise?”

Closer...

He raised his eyes to meet K’s.
Keataus fired again, this time a blast. Rclade shattered. writhed.  K stood still. Rcalde tried to rise again. He found he could not stand straight. Pieces strewn on the ground; he mutedly noticed how much of him was dead.

Closer…

Keataus lifted his heel and connected it with Rcalde’s face. A short gasp escaped the tortured body. K raised his rifle and aimed it concisely for the kill.

Rcalde wheezed. His breath was leaving, His sight was a blur. Almost nothing remained. He raised his arm to the gun, and gently pushed the barrel to aim at the ground.

Now he was content to die.

K marched back down the valley. His thoughts where uncomfortable. Sesemet was dead.  The dissent was broken. The unexpected obstacle had been removed. Coessus would be rebuilt. Only… something wasn’t right. Something hadn’t been…proper. Cloudy. Troubling. He tried to make sense of it.
He was interrupted.

“Keataus, Coessan General of air forces! I report as high magistrate Echazla, limb of Sesemet the Dreamer. Now, with his death by your actions, I am commandant of the Joint clans of Salom. We have unanimously dissolved the sovereign rights of Coessus. You are now master of none. I outrank you, and demand you lay down your arms.”

He counted the targets. Six, seven, no, a dozen perched among the outcroppings. He spotted the speaker atop the crest of the ravine. This commandant was a rather thin specimen, holding a weapon designed for much further distances than the forty odd paces between its scope and its target.

“ Is the dreamer giving orders from his place in the stone now? Strange. I didn’t hear a word from him after I cut him in half.”
    Before he had even spoken the last word, a shot wiped by k’s face.”
“Tremesche! Ceasefire”

“Oh, you mean to end me now, do you? After all the effort of catching him, I still took the time to let Sesemet face a fair and impartial trial.”

“Keataus, we demand a response. Lay down your arms or we shall take them from you!”

“I had to drag him for miles.  He stopped struggling eventually. I don’t think he ever-“

“Keataus!”

“Oh yes, your ultimatum”
Keataus grinned, and raised his rifle for the last time.
 “No”

No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2011, 05:15:42 am »
OHH YEAH!    8)

I agree that it's excruciatingly hard to make dates for such long-lived beings. Plus, it's easier to consolidate this way after you've finished the TL.   :)

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
Re: graid: seriously though, space vikings.
« Reply #252 on: November 05, 2011, 09:09:58 am »
Please. I knew they were space vikings the whole time.

Also, back on topic, I have enough of a hard time coming up with dates for my stuff, so for something practically immortal? I can see why you'd omit them.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: graid
« Reply #253 on: November 06, 2011, 05:07:37 am »
I made this nifty map. all the places that influence them, large or small, in one way or another.

-moved-
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:19:34 am by Crazen »
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
Re: graid
« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2011, 05:12:10 am »
Um, what? Earth?