Author Topic: 28 Weeks Later  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Weeks Later
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 05:15:12 pm »
The real problem with zombies is containment. It's almost impossible to do it effectively. You're essentially trying to contain a disease where the infected actively seek out the non-infected. Combine that with the fact that by the time you start seeing symptoms of an outbreak, you have no idea how far it's spread already - this is further compounded by the fact that the contagion doesn't just spread adjacently in geographic terms, because transport networks can spread the disease across countries in a matter of a day or so in the worse case.

Everything relies on how quickly the infection is identified and dealt with.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 10:56:05 pm »

Still though. You gotta imagine that hundreds if not thousands of cases of sudden and unexplained cannibalism would get every armed forced in the world to mobilize their forces. The police and hospitals would be the first to notice and the police in most cities would be able to take down a lot of the undead since they wouldn't have to worry about civilians getting in the way, as most people stuck inside the horde would already be infected. The military would just have to close of the cities and stop everyt thing from getting out. All the same in countries like the US where there are enough guns to armed the entire populars twice over couldn't it be possible that a lot of people would take down some zombies too?

Well, first we've got to determine what's causing corpses to reanimate. A) Disease, which is pretty much absurd B) Parasites/Chemicals, see A C) Supernatural causes. Now, if for some reason it's A or B, we have a fighting chance, since the disease could, in theory, be readily stopped by simply gunning down those already infected. If it's C though, the problem suddenly becomes much, much worse. Think of how many dead bodies there are in the world at this very moment that still have a mostly intact brain. Now, if the corpses from every hospital, morgue, funeral home, disaster area, battlefield, and various other locations suddenly all got up at the same time and began to attack, I think there'd be crazy amounts of chaos and confusion. I mean, the living would probably cause more deaths than the undead, and then those killed would get back up and join the zombies. Police forces, our first line of defense, would be totally useless in scoring a single, precise shot to the head needed to destroy the undead with inferior weapons and no real armor to speak of. Here in America, with our forces spread across the map, it would take weeks to bring our troops home, not even to mention their equipment. The majority of our tanks are overseas, and a Galaxy helicopter can carry them, one at a time to a waiting ship, which then still has to cross the Atlantic to get them here. Not that they'd be much help anyways...

Yes but throwing more stuff against them would actually be a rather good tactic. Zombies group and in most cases they aren't fast or smart enough to evade an air strike or a missile. All the same a armed force could easily outrun an attack from a zombie horde as they have the extra mobility from APC's and choppers. Zombies aren't very fast and wouldn't be a match for a force that would constantly changing positions, killing more and more zombies every time they more. All the same zombies follow patterns, they will go where there is fresh meat but as a good tactician would undoubtedly notice they would spread when faced with several different targets. As long as the fire teams would be able to have a secure route out of the city/town, they could kill hundreds if not thousands of zombies everyday.

On the contrary, throwing the undead into a meat grinder is only working against us. Conventional weaponry, which usually explodes or throw out shrapnel or otherwise is designed to shred the human body in various horrifying ways, is only mildly threatening at best to the undead. After all, when you're aiming for a single hit to the brain, and you shred the arms and legs to swiss cheese, the zombie may fall, but it (un)lives on, and could infect a careless soldier or civilian who steps too close. Not only that, the tight clustering of zombies actually dampens the effect outside of the initial blast radius, with the undead acting a unwitting meatshields for their fellows, thus preserving the deadly nature of the horde. Tanks, APCs, and helicopters are also useless, as their weapons all follow the same principle of blowing things up or spitting out mass quantities of barely-aimed lead. Sure, a tank could plow into a horde of the undead and not be scratched, but eventually it will bog down in a literal goo of zombies, run out of gasoline (Of which no more will be made during the war), or discover that it's weapons are ineffective. Basically, the only really good weapon against the undead is a well-trained soldier with an accurate weapon and an order to shoot for the head. Nothing fancier is needed.

Indeed politics might interfere with that. Though one can imagine that material law has been put into effect once so much of the populars has been killed.

Perhaps, but by the time martial law was declared, it would probably be too late. Too many deaths means too many undead.

My scearino does rely hvealy on the fact that some troops would have some survived and have secured proper transportation. If not, then my plan is really worthless.

In reality, there would probably be lots of soldiers but nobody to lead them, at least here in America. The places that would survive best would be those that are ruled by less than savory people, usually by brute force and terror. After all, there are worse fates than being devoured alive I suppose...
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 07:28:22 am »
Perhaps you guys should all make a Zombie fighting tactics thread, becaused this thread is about a movie.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 02:58:54 pm »
Perhaps you guys should all make a Zombie fighting tactics thread, becaused this thread is about a movie.

Done.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 04:44:53 pm »
Tal, you do realise that the 'zombies' so called, in 28 days aren't undead. Theyre just psycho infected humans.
If you shot them in the leg they'd still bleed to death, so automatic weapons would still be effective. I mean, starving them is the most effective way to get rid of them.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 12:18:33 pm »
Tal, you do realise that the 'zombies' so called, in 28 days aren't undead. Theyre just psycho infected humans.
If you shot them in the leg they'd still bleed to death, so automatic weapons would still be effective. I mean, starving them is the most effective way to get rid of them.

Oh, yeah, I know that. It's one of the reasons why I don't consider 28 Days Later to be a real zombie movie. In the case of the Rage infected, survival would be pathetically easy. Just stay out of the way and wait for the military, which would actually triumph in this case, to show up.
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 06:26:40 pm »
Don't worry about zombie outbreaks.  The Guardians have reality all under control.  Except for that time in 1796...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 02:51:09 am »
Just saw this a couple hours ago. Thought it was alright.
Nothing I'd personally recommend to my friends, but it was alright.

I must say I started laughing out loud when the helicopter shredded that crowd of infected.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 10:05:00 am »
I saw this a couple days ago, and I really liked it. It was probably one of my favorites this year. It seems like everyone has a different opinion on it, though.

Although I called the ending REALLY early. I even called the sequel, which is in production.