Author Topic: 28 Weeks Later  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile

No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Weeks Later
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 12:51:11 pm »
So, 28 Months Later next, then 28 Years Later?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:52:11 pm »
Oh man, that looks good. I really liked 28 days later, and it was definitely one of those "I'd really like to know more about what happens" cases. I can't wait for this one.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 01:15:16 pm »
One thing that has always bothered me with zombie movies is the fact that the military seems utterly useless. This despite the fact that countries like the US have troops ready at all times. Tanks and planes/helicopters would absolutely decimate a zombie attack and yet the most of the population is always overtaken anyway. However I can see past this if they provided a reason, or it was never mentioned so it wouldn't stand out. 28 Days Later had this though again I could live with it even though the soldiers that were in that movie showed just how good they were at killing zombies. I didn't like 28 Days Later that much but I thought it was ok.

But now... that trailer showed just how easy it would be to kill of a zombie invasion. Evacuate the populars as good as you can and set the cities aflame like shown in the trailer or just send in tanks to slow the zombies advance while kill teams consisting of gunships or heavily armored ground troops with APC's would take out zombies and rescue the survivors before bombing the city.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 03:15:43 pm »
One thing that has always bothered me with zombie movies is the fact that the military seems utterly useless. This despite the fact that countries like the US have troops ready at all times. Tanks and planes/helicopters would absolutely decimate a zombie attack and yet the most of the population is always overtaken anyway. However I can see past this if they provided a reason, or it was never mentioned so it wouldn't stand out. 28 Days Later had this though again I could live with it even though the soldiers that were in that movie showed just how good they were at killing zombies. I didn't like 28 Days Later that much but I thought it was ok.

this is another reason, i've realized, that shaun of the dead was so great. the army just shows up in the end, kicks some zombie ass, and saves the day.  :)
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 03:46:33 pm »
I didn't end up liking 28 days later. I don't remember what it was about it, but it didn't work for me. Somehow I have the feeling I won't like this either. The kid already annoys me, and that was just a trailer.  If it follows in the footsteps of the first movie, almost no one will survive. I have the annoying idea the kid will live through it and he and someone else will be all that's left. They'll already going to flatten London, all in all it doesn't look intersting to me. The only thing I would actually like to see is the idea behind rebuilding London, before they lose control.. again.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 12:16:06 am »
AH NO! too many interesting movies at the same time in the cinema! i cant see them all?! :o
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 01:04:22 am »
28 Years Later?

I already got the screenplay for that. The infected have taken the UK -- again. We develop an airborn virus the eats human flesh and release it over britain. We forget to account for wind and the entire human race is wiped out. The movie is made up of two hours of shots of empty cities.

Seriously today they are alarmist enough to blow up Aqua Teen Hunger Force ads, somehow I think they would be a bit more serious over something like you see in 28 days later.  Frankly I think movies like 28 days later shouldn't have a sequal just because the type of movie it is. (and that's not according to my opinion).

28 days later was ,for a lack of better word, realistic (although I thought it went way downhill after they left London). Watching people hang from helicopters just makes it look like another action movie. 
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 07:44:43 am »

this is another reason, i've realized, that shaun of the dead was so great. the army just shows up in the end, kicks some zombie ass, and saves the day.  :)

Yeah it is some what... sad that a parody of an entire genre is actually more realistic then the genre itself.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 01:02:10 am »
Yea, I never really bought into that either, they're not even zombies, they're infected humans. Shoot them in the leg and they bleed out. You'd think the military would wipe the streets with them.

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 11:46:13 am »
The main characters lack of fear kinda killed the first one for me. (the grocer store was is a good example)
NEVER argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with exprience

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 02:15:35 pm »
Loved the first! And the trailer for the second was highly impressive.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 04:53:06 pm »
The main characters lack of fear kinda killed the first one for me. (the grocer store was is a good example)

I actually agree with that. There were a couple times where I was just like "What the hell are you even doing?" But it wasn't enough to kill it for me.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 05:22:04 pm »

But now... that trailer showed just how easy it would be to kill of a zombie invasion. Evacuate the populars as good as you can and set the cities aflame like shown in the trailer or just send in tanks to slow the zombies advance while kill teams consisting of gunships or heavily armored ground troops with APC's would take out zombies and rescue the survivors before bombing the city.

I used to think this too before I read World War Z and started actually thinking about it. The author has a point when he says that most modern weaponry is designed to terrorize our enemies rather than outright kill them. Look no further than the "Shock and Awe" campaign against Iraq for evidence of how effective such tactics can be. But zombies can't be scared, and they have no concept of fear or self-preservation in most movies and books. Not only that, but the fact that most armed forces are totally unprepared for an attack from within that adopts such a strange form.

Weapons in our day and age are shifting from a doctrine of accuracy and precision to a doctrine of throwing enough deadly stuff at the enemy to make sure at least some of it hits them. Now, in normal warfare, that works. We have well-trained troops and well-armored vehicles to boot. They can all work in tandem to create a well-oiled fighting machine that is devastatingly effective when commanded by a good tactician. But all of this hinges on the assumption that the enemy will be working with the same or similar rules. The undead are a totally different type of foe. They have no leaders, no ranks or chain of command, no need to stop, to eat, to drink, to sleep, or the retreat. They know no mercy, take no prisoners, and feel no fear. They simply shamble onwards, eating or overruning anything in their path. The best analogy would be army ants, and even the largest jungle predators, humans included, fear a march of army ants.

And you can't just burn down the cities. A military commander might see the logic in doing it, but the military is run by self-serving politicians. And no politician would ever allow a city to be razed to the ground, even if it made perfect sense. After all, nobody would ever vote for them again if they were in favor of such extreme, though efficient methods. Plus, in a war of attrition, the zombies do have a certain advantage. Every dead soldier is one more for their side, and one less for ours. Not only that, but every dead human period is one more for their side. In a simple battle of numbers, we'd be overrun within a few years.

Note, I'm not disagreeing with you. Your tactics should work in the given situation, it's just that the chance of them actually being used would be very small. By the time anyone saw the sensible route of action you described, we'd be up to our eyeballs in zombies.

Wow...I really need to do something more productive with my time...

P.S. - I saw 28 Days Later and I liked it. Not exactly a zombie movie, but it was good nonetheless! And given the trailers for this one, I'll be seeing 28 Weeks Later as well!
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 04:48:45 pm »

I used to think this too before I read World War Z and started actually thinking about it. The author has a point when he says that most modern weaponry is designed to terrorize our enemies rather than outright kill them. Look no further than the "Shock and Awe" campaign against Iraq for evidence of how effective such tactics can be. But zombies can't be scared, and they have no concept of fear or self-preservation in most movies and books. Not only that, but the fact that most armed forces are totally unprepared for an attack from within that adopts such a strange form.

Still though. You gotta imagine that hundreds if not thousands of cases of sudden and unexplained cannibalism would get every armed forced in the world to mobilize their forces. The police and hospitals would be the first to notice and the police in most cities would be able to take down a lot of the undead since they wouldn't have to worry about civilians getting in the way, as most people stuck inside the horde would already be infected. The military would just have to close of the cities and stop everyt thing from getting out. All the same in countries like the US where there are enough guns to armed the entire populars twice over couldn't it be possible that a lot of people would take down some zombies too?

Quote from: Tal
Weapons in our day and age are shifting from a doctrine of accuracy and precision to a doctrine of throwing enough deadly stuff at the enemy to make sure at least some of it hits them. Now, in normal warfare, that works. We have well-trained troops and well-armored vehicles to boot. They can all work in tandem to create a well-oiled fighting machine that is devastatingly effective when commanded by a good tactician. But all of this hinges on the assumption that the enemy will be working with the same or similar rules. The undead are a totally different type of foe. They have no leaders, no ranks or chain of command, no need to stop, to eat, to drink, to sleep, or the retreat. They know no mercy, take no prisoners, and feel no fear. They simply shamble onwards, eating or overruning anything in their path. The best analogy would be army ants, and even the largest jungle predators, humans included, fear a march of army ants.

Yes but throwing more stuff against them would actually be a rather good tactic. Zombies group and in most cases they aren't fast or smart enough to evade an air strike or a missile. All the same a armed force could easily outrun an attack from a zombie horde as they have the extra mobility from APC's and choppers. Zombies aren't very fast and wouldn't be a match for a force that would constantly changing positions, killing more and more zombies every time they more. All the same zombies follow patterns, they will go where there is fresh meat but as a good tactician would undoubtedly notice they would spread when faced with several different targets. As long as the fire teams would be able to have a secure route out of the city/town, they could kill hundreds if not thousands of zombies everyday.

And you can't just burn down the cities. A military commander might see the logic in doing it, but the military is run by self-serving politicians. And no politician would ever allow a city to be razed to the ground, even if it made perfect sense. After all, nobody would ever vote for them again if they were in favor of such extreme, though efficient methods. Plus, in a war of attrition, the zombies do have a certain advantage. Every dead soldier is one more for their side, and one less for ours. Not only that, but every dead human period is one more for their side. In a simple battle of numbers, we'd be overrun within a few years.

Indeed politics might interfere with that. Though one can imagine that material law has been put into effect once so much of the populars has been killed.

Note, I'm not disagreeing with you. Your tactics should work in the given situation, it's just that the chance of them actually being used would be very small. By the time anyone saw the sensible route of action you described, we'd be up to our eyeballs in zombies.

My scearino does rely hvealy on the fact that some troops would have some survived and have secured proper transportation. If not, then my plan is really worthless.